closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my cunning plan cunning enough.

Master

Is my cunning plan cunning enough.

I hope to be off to Spain in a few weeks and it appears to be a hot spot for Rolex theft even though the country has an overall low rate of crime.

I wore my old Omega Constellation on the last visit and to be honest it felt like a heap of muck compared to a Rolex.

I want to wear a good watch up with Rolex but even my Explorer1 is instantly recognisable as a Rolex and I am therefore still an easy target.

So I am thinking of a JLC Reverso. The quality probably exceeds Rolex and when I am in a high risk area, I can wear it with the flip side turned over, so only a steel plate is on view. I could even get JLC to apply black enamel to make it look like a cheap wearable computer or whatever it is called.

It seems plausible to me, does anyone think otherwise?

Wear a £10 Casio. Problem sorted.

Wear the Rolex and get yourself one of these to slip over in dodgy parts of town

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweatband-W.../dp/B07X5NC334

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    But an Omega Constellation is “a heap of muck”
    Can’t flex at the expats bar in a Casio…

Mick wear what you want. Be careful about where you go, hide your watch under your cuff when needed, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Wear the Rolex and get yourself one of these to slip over in dodgy parts of town

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweatband-W.../dp/B07X5NC334
    More appropriate?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000919163566.html
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    But an Omega Constellation is “a heap of muck”
    Can’t flex at the expats bar in a Casio…

Mick wear what you want. Be careful about where you go, hide your watch under your cuff when needed, problem solved.
    Those days are long over. Last year a couple of girls and a guy followed the wife and I after a trip to the local market. The girls came up and asked if we knew anyone who needed a cleaner and spoke in a very low voice so I really concentrated on what she was saying. Suddenly I noticed that she was very gently undoing the watch from my wrist without any force or violence. My wife who is still recovering from a stroke saved the day with a quick reaction and started to whack the girl with her walking stick and then they walked away without the watch and it was all over in seconds.

I soon realised that this was my fault, an old man should not wear a flashy GMT11 with a red and black bezel on a shiny Jubilee bracelet, I had put my wife at risk and I could not have lived with myself had she been hurt in the incident. I still have the occasional nightmare about this even now.

Not wearing the Rolex could be described as an act of cowardice but I still want to wear a decent watch but in safety.

The obvious answer is simply not to wear it when in crowded locations but the wristband seems reasonable. The switch ability of the Reverso seems good to me by being safe and getting one over on the crooks.

But other ideas are welcome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Those days are long over. Last year a couple of girls and a guy followed the wife and I after a trip to the local market. The girls came up and asked if we knew anyone who needed a cleaner and spoke in a very low voice so I really concentrated on what she was saying. Suddenly I noticed that she was very gently undoing the watch from my wrist without any force or violence. My wife who is still recovering from a stroke saved the day with a quick reaction and started to whack the girl with her walking stick and then they walked away without the watch and it was all over in seconds.

I soon realised that this was my fault, an old man should not wear a flashy GMT11 with a red and black bezel on a shiny Jubilee bracelet, I had put my wife at risk and I could not have lived with myself had she been hurt in the incident. I still have the occasional nightmare about this even now.

Not wearing the Rolex could be described as an act of cowardice but I still want to wear a decent watch but in safety.

The obvious answer is simply not to wear it when in crowded locations but the wristband seems reasonable. The switch ability of the Reverso seems good to me by being safe and getting one over on the crooks.

But other ideas are welcome.
    Watch thieves who can spot rolex can spot JLC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    OK but two points.

I don't think JLC are stolen on a regular basis, certainly not as much as Rolex. Secondly would they recognise it with the watch flipped over showing only a steel plate.

If you’re scared to wear them, don’t wear them.
    If you can’t wear them, what’s the point in having them?
    Sell everything.

Or wear them.
    Easy.

OK but two points.

I don't think JLC are stolen on a regular basis, certainly not as much as Rolex. Secondly would they recognise it with the watch flipped over showing only a steel plate.
    You want a JLC Reverso, buy a JLC Reverso. Mick you have been mulling this for a while, you have been concerned about this issue since your unpleasant encounter. Buy a bleedin’ Reverso. It may be the answer it may not but there is only one way to find out.

Stick it on an old Admiralty grey NATO. Rarely gets a second look as it simply looks like tat. A far better option than leaving it in a safe or wearing something you hope is less identifiable. The bracelet is by virtue of its size and design a thief attractor.

Blog Entries
    …the watch flipped over showing only a steel plate.
    i.e. instantly recognisable - not many watches do that.

Who came up with this Cunning plan ?

z

Master
    I hope to be off to Spain in a few weeks and it appears to be a hot spot for Rolex theft even though the country has an overall low rate of crime.

I wore my old Omega Constellation on the last visit and to be honest it felt like a heap of muck compared to a Rolex.

I want to wear a good watch up with Rolex but even my Explorer1 is instantly recognisable as a Rolex and I am therefore still an easy target.

So I am thinking of a JLC Reverso. The quality probably exceeds Rolex and when I am in a high risk area, I can wear it with the flip side turned over, so only a steel plate is on view. I could even get JLC to apply black enamel to make it look like a cheap wearable computer or whatever it is called.

It seems plausible to me, does anyone think otherwise?
    Is it really worth the pleasure you get from wearing a luxury watch in these high risk areas, if it's offset by having to think about that? Just wear a Seiko or a Smiths or something.

I have to say I cannot relate to your experience of a Constellation feeling like a heap of muck. I've been a happy Rolex owner for 37 years but often feel content with a Pagani or a Casio strapped on.

You worry too much.

Seriously.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    This, even with the Reverso flipped over. The Submariner and Reverso are (probably) each manufacturer's most iconic watch.

It's a shame anyone should feel conscious of the watch they're wearing in any given situation. Would you really be more comfortable with the JLC? I think you already know that it would be an experiment, or maybe a calculated risk, in wearing that over a Rolex. As such you'd still be wary of wearing it as it would be new ground for you.

I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe it's to just get yourself a Casio and be able to fully relax in public for the sake of yourself and your wife. That's got to be worth something, surely?

overall low rate of crime, really.

A chap i know in his 70`s was never mugged in his life in the UK.

5 minutes in Spain and some Spanish tosser mugged him

It's Patek time for you Mick. Something subtle and 34-38mm

If you still want that awful gondolo I'll take you for the meal of a lifetime if you put it on my account.

Further to my post above (difficult to edit on my mobile) I'll add this.

Don't think of the situation as one where your hand is dealt for you. You may be feeling that, if you do decide to give the Rolex a break, that you're being done over or that your liberty is, in fact, not your own.

Break it down into component parts and we have a situation whereby you could a) wear a conspicuous watch that you feel proud of yet be uncomfortable or b) wear nothing/something less conspicuous, feel safer yet maybe tinged with angst that it's not something you'd rather be doing.

It should be an easy choice though I understand why it isn't. If you look at it as your quality of life vs a piece of metal then it's a no-brainer, from the perspective of quality of life being doing what you really want to do it somewhat clouds the matter.

Master
    I can imagine how that experience makes you worry. I witnessed a watch being taken last year and it changed the way I wear watches and how I wear them. Before that I was fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

In your position you should do what makes you comfortable. I’m not convinced the JLC thing would be the way to go but if the thought of wearing that and flipping it over makes you more comfortable why not give it a go. Another option as others have suggested maybe get yourself something a little more low key and that may give you similar feelings to those you have when wearing your Rolex. Have you tried a new Tudor? Pretty good option for being a little more low key vs Rolex maybe?

Definitely worth covering up the wrist when you can.

I used to wear any watch with short sleeves but in London now I wouldn’t do it without great hesitation.

Anyway hope you get over the bad experience and manage to enjoy whichever watch you decide to wear.

Wear the Rolex, with pride. It is insured isn't it? Don't go to dodgy areas... problem solved.

It’s a real shame you can’t wear what you want Mick, but I think your health and happiness is far more important than wearing something that could get you mugged, injured or hurt - or worrying about that happening.
    I used to wear a Submariner, GMT or Panerai with a T shirt in London, working and drinking in bars late at night in and around Soho, drunk or sober it didn’t matter. Never even thought about it - I was in my 20’s/30’s, confident and whilst no giant I’m very much rugby prop forward shaped and sized. People rarely commented on my watch. However, great though it might be for the owners/investors, since then the value of a Rolex watch has now been inflated to a point (and advertised as such through the wonders of insta this and you tube channel that) where they are a potential source of very easily fenced financial pickings for the criminal fraternity. And that criminal fraternity knows its watches beyond the Rolex sports models I’m sure. Must be easier after all than stealing cars for similar reward. Wear something cheap but interesting and have a good time. It’s a shame but I think the carefree days of flashing a fancy watch in urban areas are over.

Your health is worth more than your pride.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Would you go to a run down part of town and wander into a pub with a wallet stuffed with £50 notes and then wave them around to all and sundry? I suspect not. Wearing a very expensive watch in some places is doing just that. Simple common sense really and forget all the arguments about freedom and rights. If you are well insured and happy to run the risk then fine, but really? For the sake wearing a watch? And let’s remember the forum is hosted by a company that sells some very nice watches for just a few hundred pounds! Maybe just wear one of those…

Try to overcome your brand snobbery, so many good and less conspicuous brands out there (e.g. Tudor). I'm surprised you still want to wear a "good watch up with Rolex" despite having already put your wife at risk. As to the Reverso, having to constantly monitor my surroundings in order to flip the face when required would piss me off (and you will not always remember).

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    overall low rate of crime, really.

A chap i know in his 70`s was never mugged in his life in the UK.

5 minutes in Spain and some Spanish tosser mugged him
    People let their guard down when they're on holiday. When they're at home, they're generally cautious about where they go, what they're wearing and have a sense that they know who the criminal element might be. They go on holiday and because they want to relax and be happy, they think that it's a perfect place where everyone is honest and life is beautiful when in fact, it's no different to the place that they've just left.

also, odds are that it wasn't a Spanish tosser. Foreign criminals often reside in tourist destinations. You'll find that the locals are no worse or better than us and the same can be said of the criminal element.

Mick P - I've said this before but why not just wear your Rolex on an evening with sleeves and go watchless during the day. You'll feel far less vulnerable. If you go to any tourist destination with any watch of value on show, there will always be someone wanting to take it away from you. We now live in a world where people believe that you should be able to do anything you want and feel safe doing it but unfortunately the criminals haven't got the message.

Wear the R***x but when feeling vulnerable or liable to a robbery simply reverse it so that the dial is facing your wrist leaving just the `steel plate` on show.
    You could even use a permanent marker to fashion a new dial design of your choice on to the caseback to fool any unwitting Spanish crims into thinking that you are sporting a timepiece of low desirability - but don`t draw a R***x dial on it as obviously that`d defeat the whole point....

You've been dwelling on this for awhile. Just get a beater watch and wear that when the expensive stuff doesn't feel appropriate.

Really don't get the point of the JLC in this scenario. It's recognisable, flipping it over doesn't help in the slightest in stopping it from being recognised, probably the exact opposite actually. Plus don't you swim in Spain?

Nato strap as mentioned before. Harder to take off without you knowing and paired with a datejust or OP non fluted it's under the radar. Or one of the more unusual brands only collectors know such as doxa etc..

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    This.

Money screams money to the criminal fraternity, even if it's your 'muck' Omega. If you're that concerned you're a potential target wear a cheap plastic Casio or Swatch etc. Rolex, Omega or JLC is just wearing a payday on your wrist to a certain element, they might not even know what it is but they know they can get something for it, and to them you're worthless and vulnerable.

Stop worrying about how you present yourself to your peers. Wear a Casio.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whisper it quietly, but the reverso is quite fragile and has sod all water resistance. Buy a nicer Constellation. There’s plenty to choose from.

Craftsman
    I would suggest a simple Casio or similar, no worries and hopefully no threat too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Put it on a leather strap, it’s the Oyster bracelet that marks it out as an obvious target.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Put it on a leather strap, it’s the Oyster bracelet that marks it out as an obvious target.

I like that idea.

Master
    Don’t take an expensive watch with you on holiday. Consider why you want to - what’s the point in giving yourself easily avoidable grief?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that idea.
    I have worn watches on bracelets mostly for the last 25 years. Recently I have been wearing my Mark XX on leather. I think any watch on leather, or even a nato, attracts far less attention. It’s a much more discrete look.

Master
    Mick, you were traumatised by what happened last year and that’s understandable. Why put yourself through all that stress again? My idea of a holiday watch is something cheap and cheerful. One of the new Seiko Alpinist models, without the two crowns and compass bezel, would suit your needs just fine. Why spend your holiday in fear that some oik is going to make off with your watch and likely give you a good kicking if you try and struggle?

OK but two points.

The first point here is fair enough - I think JLCs are much less fenceable than Rolex. However, given that your thief will be getting <EUR 100 regardless of watch, they may nonetheless decide it’s worth their while, so your risk profile is undiminished.

The second point is deeply naive: watch thieves are professionals. They will clock anything of value more readily than will any TZ-er, it’s their “job”. A reversed reverso is as obviously a reverso as is one showing the time. You need to think more about the skills of these people if you are to successfully adjust your risk profile.

(Edited to add: exactly the same is true of an explorer on leather. Do not underestimate - or be will fully blind to - the identifiability of these things.)

The trouble seems to be squaring the circle of nice watch that won’t get targeted. Unfortunately, those are near-exclusive criteria, hence I suppose the Casio comment above. The next nearest fit might be a 3-handed GS on a leather strap, from the days when they carried the standard “Seiko” device on the top half of the dial.

Good luck. Nothing of cowardice about proactively protecting your wife and yourself.
    Last edited by JGJG; 18th February 2023 at 10:41.

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Nato strap as mentioned before. Harder to take off without you knowing and paired with a datejust or OP non fluted it's under the radar. Or one of the more unusual brands only collectors know such as doxa etc..

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Something harder to take off significantly increases the OP’s risk profile in this context.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Try to overcome your brand snobbery, so many good and less conspicuous brands out there (e.g. Tudor). I'm surprised you still want to wear a "good watch up with Rolex" despite having already put your wife at risk. As to the Reverso, having to constantly monitor my surroundings in order to flip the face when required would piss me off (and you will not always remember).
    Not sure Tudor is less conspicuous given that the design of most of their watches is based on Rolex .I’ve stopped wearing my Tudor pepsi as fed up replying to people with “ no it’s not a Rolex”

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just wear an F91W. WIS will give it the nod, muggles won't look twice and if you drop it in the sea buy another one.

Master
    SKX on a NATO has always been my watch of choice when traveling or in a dodgy area.
    Rolex are pretty average watches in the grand scheme of horology. The only thing they excel at is over hyping and over pricing IMHO.

Master
    OT, but saying an Omega Constellation is 'heap of muck' is quite insulting to the many tz'ers on here who hold Omega in high regard. You are a watch brand snob who has no interest in watches IMHO. Don't expect any help from Omega afficionados on the forum or any other watch lovers.
    Enjoy your holiday though whatever you decide & stay safe.

I’m sorry Mick, It’s a terrible plan, and in no way cunning.

A JLC is less recognisable than a Rolex but what makes you a target is being an older ‘tourist’, accompanied by his wife, who if I remember correctly walks with a stick.

I’m not going to pretend I’m an expert in the criminal mind but they probably would have tried to take your watch regardless of what it was. Your best defence is wearing something recognisably inexpensive, rather than unrecognisably expensive. That way you’re advertising there’s nothing worth stealing, rather than trying to hide the fact that there is.

Turning a reverso around makes it look like an expensive piece of jewellery, which is just as interesting to thieves.

No ill will meant, just my take

Grand Master
    What is the "high risk" area?.And why even wear it knowing you are venturing into that area.

Why bother with a watch, your phone will do everything you need.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

is it too simplistic to take the watch off before you go to the high risk area, put it back on when you leave or go out of a evening knowing its a safe bet its not going to get nicked etc, unless you live/ stay in a high risk area the whole of your stay?
    stick it down the front of your shorts, wifes bum bag/ handbag, if she is owt like my wife they would have to chop her arm off before she let go of that!:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    What is the "high risk" area?.And why even wear it knowing you are venturing into that area.
    The "high risk" area was a Sunday market in a coastal town. I have since found out that there have been several incidents of elderly ladies having their handbags stolen but the good news, if you can call it that, is that violence is hardly ever used.

I now never wear any watch in those areas.