closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Night vision cameras in vehicles NOT Dashcam

Night vision cameras in vehicles NOT Dashcam

With technology moving along at warp speed, with items such as trackers, Sat Nav, Radar Detectors and Dashcams.

I have recently been reading about Night Vision Cameras, which require very little light to show the way ahead or even behind.

Living in a rural location, I can see the practicality of such a device, when animals run out, pedestrians walking along a dark road or more relevant to todays roads - potholes!

I am aware that some Mercedes, Audi's & BMW's cars (note the common denominator) have them fitted as a factory option.

But has anyone looked at or purchased an aftermarket version?

Here is one that I found after doing a search of the internet
    lanmodo-vast-pro-all-in-one-1080p-night-vision-system.html

I would be interested to hear from members who have had experiences on the use of these night vision cameras, either fitted or aftermarket.

Not considering Dashcams, that reputably have night vision, my Nextbase 622GW has it, but the quality is very poor at night and none existent from the rear camera.

Or other thoughts/alternatives.

I don't really understand how these are used...are you meant to drive whilst looking at the screen? Unless you are driving tactically with no headlights whilst wearing a night vision headset, I can't imagine a situation where this would add value...it won't work in fog, you'd need some kind of FLIR for that. I'm guessing this is for slow manouevring in an unlit driveway, a bit like a reversing camera but with added low-light ability?

I would never rely on to drive by.
    But as an additional safety aid then quite possibility.
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 16th February 2023 at 13:20.

Even not driving whilst permanently watching the screen, I don't see how you could usefully bring a small screen into a scan to identify and react to something like a pothole...unless this is for very slow speed manoeuvring like a parking camera. If the road is that dark ahead then an LCD screen in your scan wouldn't help your night vision either. I've not tried one, but I'm struggling to see how this is implemented without becoming a distraction. Interested to learn!

Blog Entries
    Sorry no experience so an arm chair observer. Looking at the link - could be useful to record impacts when you are stationary (has auto record when g-detect activates). Or for general recording if that’s your thing. I can’t see how it would improve driving - I’d want my headlamps for that and wouldn’t drive looking at a screen.

I just watched the video. I guess it gives enhanced visibility- so could be a driving aid - not replacement. Bit worrying - one bit shows an old guy who wasn’t confident driving at night now saying he felt safe doing so (to his grandson). I personally would not want to drive looking at a small screen when driving - seems very dangerous.

ad says it enhances for rain, fog etc - I wonder how.

Also if they are night Vision won’t they get “blinded” by oncoming traffic and other bright light sources?

if you buy on Amazon you could try for a couple weeks and return it if not happy?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 16th February 2023 at 12:27.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I’m sure I remember seeing a TV ad for a new VW - the massive SUV, can’t remember the name - and it had a screen on the dash that had night vision, a fox ran out in front of the car in fog and it was visible on the screen as a red image. I thought at the time I’d be looking out of the windscreen in those conditions, not at a screen down on the dash!

Blog Entries
    Unless it's some form of HUD - not going to be much use directly to the driver, assuming that the cars active safety systems are already paired to the night vision camera.

This guy was less than impressed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPJzaJbWcg

I guess it's a case of try before you buy.

Blog Entries
    Just put your headlights on, drive at a speed that you can stop safely as far as you can see and pay attention.
    Looking at a small screen while driving isn’t going to end well.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I live in a countryside area and while I never hit more than a pigeon I dread the moment where a fox or a badger will decide to cross the road as I drive past. So I would appreciate seeing them on the side when still hidden. But I’d need a bip to warn me to their presence as my eyes would not be on the screen
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I live in a countryside area and while I never hit more than a pigeon I dread the moment where a fox or a badger will decide to cross the road as I drive past. So I would appreciate seeing them on the side when still hidden. But I’d need a bip to warn me to their presence as my eyes would not be on the screen
    Having been hit by a young deer whilst riding my motorcycle I am / was nervous about about low light driving. At a recent bike rally the subject of deer walking into the road came up and a resident Scotsman said “ we all use deer whistles” . It transpires these a small black bullet shaped whistles that stick on the car grill etc. 2 for £3.50 of the bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162546387...3ABFBMhuS16cth

I dont know if they work but folk in Scotlandshire have a fair proportion of the rascals and they use them!

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    This guy was less than impressed: www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPJzaJbWcg

I guess it's a case of try before you buy.
    PickleB
    Thanks for the link, that is exactly the counterpoint, I was searching for.
    Very impressed with his comments, so much so that I have subscribed to his channel.
    And will now not consider getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Having been hit by a young deer whilst riding my motorcycle I am / was nervous about about low light driving. At a recent bike rally the subject of deer walking into the road came up and a resident Scotsman said “ we all use deer whistles” . It transpires these a small black bullet shaped whistles that stick on the car grill etc. 2 for £3.50 of the bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162546387...3ABFBMhuS16cth

I dont know if they work but folk in Scotlandshire have a fair proportion of the rascals and they use them!
    Thank you. I'll have a look
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thank you. I'll have a look
    No problem I have one fitted to my GS bike and the wifes car. Just today ordered a third for my car. Chap up the road hit a Fox in Oct caused a fair amount of damage to his car.

The BMW 635d that I owned a few years back had a night vision camera that displayed on the satnav screen
    It worked pretty well- I live in a rural/national park area full of animals and it worked well for me- I often drive in darkness and at the time ,shiftwork necessitated it.
    Probably better now I guess, think the car was about a 2010 model

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The BMW 635d that I owned a few years back had a night vision camera that displayed on the satnav screen
    It worked pretty well- I live in a rural/national park area full of animals and it worked well for me- I often drive in darkness and at the time ,shiftwork necessitated it.
    Probably better now I guess, think the car was about a 2010 model
    You can now pick up BMW, Mercedes and Audi's of that era with the Night vision camera, for a good price.