closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Poignant story - why we bond with watches

Poignant story - why we bond with watches

https://youtu.be/u-YhxMVuY5Y

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this. Hope you do to.

Great video, although the watch has a tragic story.

Makes me want to learn more about watchmaking.

Craftsman
    Very interesting hearing the story behind this, and watching it being dismantled, then brought back to life.

Thanks for sharing.

Grand Master
    Interesting story but the presenter is a pain in the arse to listen to, he's like an over-excited schoolkid so I stopped watching after a few minutes.

OK, the watch spent time in seawater, but it didn`t leak. Leaking's a bit like being pregnant, it either did or it didn`t and in this case the crown seal, caseback seal and crystal seal were in good enough condition to prevent water ingress. The watch subsequently spent many years in a drawer where it wouldn't be expected to deteriorate further.

Once the caseback had been opened and there was no evidence of water damage it's no surprise that the dial was in good condition too, the watch is a straightforward restoration from that point onwards despite it's history. If water had managed to get in the watch would've been virtually beyond restoration and scope for retaining original parts would've ben close to nil.

I`ve had several 'dead mans watches' to restore, usually family heirlooms. I`ve reached the stage where I've little interest in the back story, I'm more concerned with the technical challenge the watch presents and in this case it wasn`t a difficult one.

Master
    Thanks for posting that, really enjoyed the story and his vocal delivery is really good too.

Master
    Enjoyed that : )

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Just watched that. Enjoyed. I hear a Californian accent, great explanation of the whole process.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Interesting story but the presenter is a pain in the arse to listen to, he's like an over-excited schoolkid so I stopped watching after a few minutes.
    Likewise. It's an American thing. Spencer Klein is another one. I don't think I've ever managed to watch one of his videos all the way though.