closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brick Lane Curry House Recommendations

Brick Lane Curry House Recommendations

Yeah, possibly a bit of a cliché, however a couple of friends and I will be up town a few weekends from now and we're considering stopping by one of Brick Lane's establishments. We're not looking for anything flash, neither are we expecting anything Michelin starred or genuinely authentic, just a decent and honest good old curry house will do.

Any recommendations?

To be honest the Brick Lane curry houses now are a bit crap. Tourist joints competing for custom by standing outside and offering passing punters 3/4/5 etc beers to get them through the door.

Would recommend Tayyabs instead. We’ve been going there for years https://www.tayyabs.co.uk/. It’s a short walk from Whitechapel station.

Can get very busy as they pack you in but the food is tasty and authentic and you BYOB from the offie next door. Was there recently for a Xmas get together with my brothers and we really enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Or try Gunpowder

Echoing Casper's point, I didn't particularly enjoy dining on brick lane.

I've had some good (but not fine dining) meals at the Lahore Kebab House near Aldgate East

http://www.lahore-kebabhouse.com/

I used to work close by and nobody would touch them with a barge pole.

On place that has always been excellent - is good value and well respected is only 5 mins from brick lane

Tayyabs

https://www.tayyabs.co.uk/

One of my favourite London walks (in either direction) is Liverpool Street Station to Shoreditch, via Spitalfields Market, Fournier Street and Brick Lane. I love the atmosphere of Brick Lane. I’ve had too many poor curry experiences there to have any urge to try any more of those establishments. The fact that many of them employ people to stand on the street to “encourage” tourists in through the door should tell you all you need to know.

That said I do often stop off at the Hookah Lounge for tea/cocktails/meze as a pit-stop on the aforementioned walk.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    To be honest the Brick Lane curry houses now are a bit crap. Tourist joints competing for custom by standing outside and offering passing punters 3/4/5 etc beers to get them through the door.

Would recommend Tayyabs instead. We’ve been going there for years https://www.tayyabs.co.uk/. It’s a short walk from Whitechapel station.

Can get very busy as they pack you in but the food is tasty and authentic and you BYOB from the offie next door. Was there recently for a Xmas get together with my brothers and we really enjoyed it.
    Exactly, it is like being in some shite holiday destination areas in Spain these days. A poor shadow of the former Brick Lane.

Used to enjoy going there when the opportunity arose but now could not recall my last time after a series of poor experiences.

As a child my father worked in the area calling on pubs as he was in the brewery trade. Remember him taking me there for my first curry and the whole experience was fantastic. Never having had a curry before, it opened my eyes to what remains my favourite cuisine and flavours.

Master

Brick Lane Curry House Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Or try Gunpowder
    +1 for Gunpowder. Not a classic “curry house” but good regional Indian food you are unlikely to have tried before in a curry house.

They have a few Resturant now but the one on Whites row is nearby and worth a visit.

https://gunpowderrestaurants.com/spitalfields/

(Full disclosure: it’s my friends place)
    Last edited by joe narvey; 15th February 2023 at 10:54.

Master
    Lahore one is also a good shout, as is the Pride of Spitalfields pub

Tayyabs is the one you want, forget Brick Lane. My Pakistani colleagues would always eat at Tayyabs.

Craftsman
    I walked down there once and couldn’t help but notice how every single curry house had won an award at some point. Really is amazing.

Only thing I’d eat from Brick Lane is a Bagel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    I walked down there once and couldn’t help but notice how every single curry house had won an award at some point. Really is amazing.

I took my first ever walk down Brick Lane last year and couldn't help notice the same with regards to awards, many of them were for a decade or so ago. I suppose that was all I needed to know!

I appreciate the comments guys, I think we'll give the place a swerve and look up the other recommendations instead.

I’ve seen the standard of food handling/hygiene in the “world acclaimed” bagel outlets on Brick Lane. I wouldn’t eat anything from there.

I agree with the comments and would avoid brick lane for a curry.

If you’re prepared to travel to Angel which isn’t far from Shoreditch I would recommend Delhi Grill.

I have always found the food and service to be excellent plus it’s reasonably priced!

https://www.delhigrill.com/

I'd echo the recommendations for Tayabs and Lahore One.

Never seen gunpowder but I'll give it a try next time.

On principal I wouldn't eat at any place with hollerers outside shepherding people in. Only had one brick lane curry and wouldn't rush for another.

Master

Haha the one nearest me (not the one I eat in), is the Winner of the Curry Oscars. I doubt it has, as the logo they are using is completely wrong!

Forgot to add Dishooms is also good but a bit more pricey. There’s one in Shoreditch about 5min walk from Brick Lane if you want to stay in that area

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I’ve seen the standard of food handling/hygiene in the “world acclaimed” bagel outlets on Brick Lane. I wouldn’t eat anything from there.
    What you don’t know won’t hurt you.

So yeah - please don’t tell me.

Used to go to a curry caff at lunchtime at the bottom Whitechapel end of Brick Lane, called Al-Badar.

One side was fried chicken, the other side curry. The proudly displayed their 3 out of 5 food rating and cleanliness certificate, but i reckon that was 2 stars too may.

Pre-Covid, and for a fiver you got a bowl of curry (or a mix), naan (from the tandoor) or rice and a drink. It was always wise to go veggie, and I used to ask them to add 30 seconds onto the microwave time for my peace of mind.

Always great curry though. Last time I went passed it was being gutted. A proper old school spit and sawdust curry caff.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Used to go to a curry caff at lunchtime at the bottom Whitechapel end of Brick Lane, called Al-Badar.

One side was fried chicken, the other side curry. The proudly displayed their 3 out of 5 food rating and cleanliness certificate, but i reckon that was 2 stars too may.

Pre-Covid, and for a fiver you got a bowl of curry (or a mix), naan (from the tandoor) or rice and a drink. It was always wise to go veggie, and I used to ask them to add 30 seconds onto the microwave time for my peace of mind.

Always great curry though. Last time I went passed it was being gutted. A proper old school spit and sawdust curry caff.
    Sounds similar to This and That in Manchester.

Master
    Sounds similar to This and That in Manchester.
    Ooooh, what a place for a post shopping bit of food!

As many have already said, Tayyabs is where you want to go. It's BYO as well, and there is a Tesco close by.

Gunpowder is good, but the restaurant is tiny and it's tapas Indian as opposed to what you imagine an Indian being.

HTH

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend The Halal Restaurant - 2 St. Marks Street, Aldgate (off Minories), so fairly close to Brick Lane. Claims to be the oldest Indian Restaurant in East London (1939), a favourite of many in the London insurance market. I used to go regularly, and always visit when I'm in London. www.halalrest.co.uk

As with The Lahore (above), very good and traditional, but not "fine dining"

A
    Last edited by aamaci; 15th February 2023 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

I used to go there too. The best £5 you could spend in the capital. Better for knowing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I'd recommend The Halal Restaurant - 2 St. Marks Street, Aldgate (off Minories), so fairly close to Brick Lane. Claims to be the oldest Indian Restaurant in East London (1939), a favourite of many in the London insurance market. I used to go regularly, and always visit when I'm in London. www.halalrest.co.uk

As with The Lahore (above), very good and traditional, but not "fine dining"

A
    +1

It’s now BYOB but they’ll put that in the fridge for you; food is amazing and surprisingly cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived on the doorstep for the last couple of years.

If you're going to Brick Lane, dodge the restaurants and do Meraz Cafe on Hanbury Street. Really high quality and not expensive.

If you're OK to stretch a bit further then Lahore One is my favourite and can always get a table.

Then Tayyabs; excellent food especially if you want the lamb chops etc. but make sure you go on the right days. But it's VERY busy and they try and get you in and out very quickly.

Lastly Lahore Kebab House. Lived behind it for almost a year. Quality varies massively. So haven't bothered for a while as Lahore One is only a few minutes up the road.

Master
    Good to know trisdg, thanks. Marked those on the Snack Map.