closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai watch numbers not matching

Panerai watch numbers not matching

I have come across a Panerai for sale (not on here I hasten to add) when I run the numbers OPxxxxBBxxxxxxx there is no match with Panerai.
    There is an original sales invoice from a reputable dealer outside of UK and Europe , lots of tings seem in order but no warrant card nor grey booklets.

Anyone come across a similar situation ?

Cheers

If in doubt, run away. Panerai wares have been known to be faked to be extraordinarily close to the real deal. If it isn't adding up then move along, you'll find what you want another time.

When you say "there is no match with Panerai" what do you mean? How have you run the numbers?

Are you taking the numbers from the paperwork? or from the watch caseback? Do they match?

The number that starts "OP" is the case number, the number that starts "BB" is the serial number of the watch

The "OP" number will possibly cover more than one model e.g. my zero is OP6728, but the Pam005 also uses the same case so will have the same OP number. Obviously the serial number will be unique to the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    When you say "there is no match with Panerai" what do you mean? How have you run the numbers?

Are you taking the numbers from the paperwork? or from the watch caseback? Do they match?

The number that starts "OP" is the case number, the number that starts "BB" is the serial number of the watch

The "OP" number will possibly cover more than one model e.g. my zero is OP6728, but the Pam005 also uses the same case so will have the same OP number. Obviously the serial number will be unique to the watch.
    On the Panerai site you can register the case number followed by the serial number and you get a kind of confirmation. I am using a photo of the back of the watch. There is a sales receipt which almost has the same number. I say almost as one of the numbers in the serial number (BBxxxxxxx) could be a 6 or 8 in the photo. The receipt shows this as a 6. Whether it is a 6 or 8 then Panerai do not recognise it.

Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    On the Panerai site you can register the case number followed by the serial number and you get a kind of confirmation. I am using a photo of the back of the watch. There is a sales receipt which almost has the same number. I say almost as one of the numbers in the serial number (BBxxxxxxx) could be a 6 or 8 in the photo. The receipt shows this as a 6. Whether it is a 6 or 8 then Panerai do not recognise it.
    As with any purchase of a used watch, if you're concerned something isn't right then walk away, but the Panerai online database isn't a complete database of all Panerai watches. It will recognise modern watches, but for anything over 10 years old it's a bit hit and miss.

Master
    If the number is not recognised by pamguard I would be very cautious, especially if the number on the caseback does not match the receipt. I would walk away.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    If the number is not recognised by pamguard I would be very cautious, especially if the number on the caseback does not match the receipt. I would walk away.

The number on the sales receipt could be a typo. It is just 1 number - either 6 or 8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

This, walk away,

The likely hood of Pamguard not recognizing a serial number is very low, in my experience, i’ve had some obscure early 2000 refences that all show up correctly.

I’ve had this before,put the numbers in pamguard and nothing came up .
    But I new the watch to be legit,I don’t remember the model,I’m not that sure this site is always up to date .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Panerai's warranty and IT side in particular is completely abysmal in the UK. I gave up trying to get the Pamguard warranty on one of my PAM's and just sold in frustration at how awful they were...

a bit of an update ……

The reputable dealer that first sold the watch and provided a sales receipt 9 years ago is still on business and has a WhatsApp chat facility.
    It turns out that they stopped being a agent for Panerai some 15 years ago. The have never heard of the named individual that signed the receipt and they do not recognise the receipt as being one of theirs.

Thanks for your comments and it’s another learning experience for me.

Master
    Ah, that's a reminder that papers can easily be faked.

I bought a watch from a dealer on eBay and the authentication service have rejected it as 'doesn't seem authentic' so refunded my money. Not a watch I'd expect to be faked and the dealer seemed genuine enough but better to walk away disappointed and safe rather than sorry.

Master
    Interesting news, can you put a link up to the advert now so we can see the watch in question.

It was on Facebook Marketplace.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    It was on Facebook Marketplace.
    Just interested to see the advert, what model was it, name of person selling it etc….

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Just interested to see the advert, what model was it, name of person selling it etc….
    It was a PAM00111. I think the seller was completely unaware

Master
    Definitely a minefield out there, i look now and again on marketplace so many blatant scams its unreal- Least you weren’t caught out buying that one… I suppose you’ll find out if they knew or not if the advert gets left live without it being amended etc…

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Definitely a minefield out there, i look now and again on marketplace so many blatant scams its unreal- Least you weren’t caught out buying that one… I suppose you’ll find out if they knew or not if the advert gets left live without it being amended etc…
    Totally agree. Some absolute laughable ones on Marketplace. I know the picture is low quality but I did get a number of better pictures sent to me and documentation etc. this was also only 30 miles away so I would have the chance to easily see it in the flesh. I guess it’s a reminder to us all that these super fakes have bled through into the second hand market.