closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarkson's Farm 2

Blog Entries

Clarkson's Farm 2

I've seen 2 episodes of the new Clarkson's Farm series. I haven't had so much fun watching TV in a long time. It's brilliant. And British farmers may call themselves lucky with a celeb like Clarkson doing farmers' work.

The awareness he has given to British farming and the hardships farmers endure is exemplary.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    We watched 2-episodes this evening as well.

There appears to be some ‘staged’ situations but on the whole it’s very entertaining and pretty informative. Season one really did highlight the challenges of farming (even with a large farm and the capital to invest in equipment).

Separately I like how JC seems much more willing to be made to look hopeless to aid the humour and pass the message.

I'm also enjoying this 2nd season, just a shame he's put it all in jeopardy through his column on the Duchess of Sussex.

But then maybe that will just put him in the same position as all the other British farmers having to rely on just their farms for survival.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I'm also enjoying this 2nd season, just a shame he's put it all in jeopardy through his column on the Duchess of Sussex.

But then maybe that will just put him in the same position as all the other British farmers having to rely on just their farms for survival.
    Good one!

Season 3 is currently in pre-production.

The badger issue is an eye opener

Missed this didn’t notice it had started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I have badgers on my grounds and the only farmer nearby keeps her (yes) cows out of the meadows adjacent to my terrain. Sheep, horses and donkeys are no problem because these are on these nearby fields. All my other neighbours have riding stables, fields with horses for competition (four-in-hand riding is pretty popular in my hamlet). I'v never heard them about the 'badger problem'.
    On the other hand: badgers are known for traveling long distances at night and I'm sure that they go through her cow meadows as well.

For those who pay attention to the background during S2-E1 and E2: a few things that I noticed:

• A few items Clarkson is using have a sticker of a rental company. His scissor lift (ep. 10 - they keep on counting) is a rental, despite Clarkson's saying "my scissor lift". The same goes for the orange trailers for the barley.
    • Then the 'barley sprouts' part: it looks / he suggests as if he didn't take out the the green stuff, but surely he's not going to mess up tons of barley for one funny scene. I think scripted. But partly. No way Caleb is 'scriptable'.
    • Not all scenes are chronologically correct: cutting the hedge (well, cutting...) was not done in the summer or autumn. When you look at the absence of foliage, it's clear that it was filmed at the end of the winter, early spring.
    • Some phrases spoken by Gerald start to make sense. Well, small parts of it.
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th February 2023 at 11:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post

That and his multi million pound bank balance

Craftsman
    I had driven back from Morzine the day before, so was looking for something to just sit and watch all day. It's timing couldn't have been better. I sat and watched the whole thing.

It's brilliant, I loved it.
    I have friends that are farmers and I do think this really does help get the real issues hitting the industry out there and understood by the general public.

[QUOTE=thieuster;6157910]I have badgers on my grounds and the only farmer nearby keeps her (yes) cows out of the meadows adjacent to my terrain. Sheep, horses and donkeys are no problem because these are on these nearby fields. All my other neighbours have riding stables, fields with horses for competition (four-in-hand riding is pretty popular in my hamlet). I'v never heard them about the 'badger problem'.
    On the other hand: badgers are known for traveling long distances at night and I'm sure that they go through her cow meadows as well.

I didn’t say what the issue was so not to spoil it for people who haven’t watched it yet, I don’t know how many ckarksonisms had been added, but if half true they need culling
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th February 2023 at 12:41.

Blog Entries
    Fair point about the spoilers. I've edited the text. But I cannot edit my original piece you quoted. That's up to you.

Blog Entries
    Messing about like this with a chainsaw. What a moron!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I had driven back from Morzine the day before, so was looking for something to just sit and watch all day. It's timing couldn't have been better. I sat and watched the whole thing.

It's brilliant, I loved it.
    I have friends that are farmers and I do think this really does help get the real issues hitting the industry out there and understood by the general public.
    I wandered back after a couple of cheeky pints at the pub with the wife. Watched it all in a Sunday afternoon & evening. Loved it right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Messing about like this with a chainsaw. What a moron!
    A moron who knows how to make entertaining television.

On paper a farming hosted by motoring journalist, made by an online retailer, should have been one of the dullest shows on TV. Yet both Season 1 and 2 are possibly my favourite shows produced in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

On paper a farming hosted by motoring journalist, made by an online retailer, should have been one of the dullest shows on TV. Yet both Season 1 and 2 are possibly my favourite shows produced in the last few years.
    To be fair though he has very talented teams around him, the same as Hammonds Workshop. Both shows have people on them that have no business being on TV but the team around do such a fantastic job of presenting them well and making it work.

Blog Entries
    All true. And he's a bloke's bloke. So H&S isn't his thing. Which is nice, it makes great television. But this is lethal stuff, his crew should know this and act accordingly.

I've asked around: bovine TBC and badgers is only a very small problem here. Most cases are in the SE near the German and Belgian border. Most farmers are aware (like my neighbour). But somehow, continental badgers aren't infected like the ones in the UK. Putting down a herd of cows because of TBC is very unlikely and has not happened in years.

Craftsman
    Watched all of series 2 over two days. It's very easy viewing and one of the best things on TV just now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    His fellow journalist Harry Metcalf on YouTube is worth a watch too. Harry’s farm

Craftsman
    I watched it all on Sunday - it does a great job of combining getting the issues facing farmers across in a serious manner, with entertaining TV. The chilli cooking scenes had me in stitches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    His fellow journalist Harry Metcalf on YouTube is worth a watch too. Harry’s farm
    Harry was way ahead of the curve on farming, you can see where Clarkson is getting his ideas from.

Part of my family are farmers in North Wales, same sized farm, different output.

They love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Harry's garage is great too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    I watched it all on Sunday - it does a great job of combining getting the issues facing farmers across in a serious manner, with entertaining TV. The chilli cooking scenes had me in stitches.
    I had similar when I tried, and still laughed at it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I have to take issue with your use of the word 'moron' in your post.

He took the opportunity when he saw it to twat Piers Morgan and that makes him an OK guy in my book.

Well done Jezzer !!!!!

😂😂😂😂😂

I haven't caught up with series 2 yet, but series 1 was not only great entertainment but was also enlightening.
    He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he has the knack of producing very watchable TV.

Blog Entries
    Well, let's say that some of the Council members could do with a new identity after Feb 10, the day the episodes came on Prime. Luckily, at least one will benefit from a trip to the barber's for a hair cut and a clean shave. He cannot appear in public again with his 'original' look! You can say that Clarkson 'takes no prisoners' in a very subtle way(...), when someone is messing with his plans.

at least one will benefit from a trip to the barber's for a hair cut and a clean shave. He cannot appear in public again with his 'original' look!
    Seen him, the head honcho....looked like a UK Northerner from the early 70's FFS

Craftsman
    Not sure how many feet Clarkson has left, shooting himself in the foot seems a hobby (re Sun). I sympathised with him and what must be thousands of other farmers going through Brexit and having to deal with government red tape. Glad I don't live among some of those council members and as for the QC, what a bag of slime!
    Once again, very entertaining and informative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Seen him, the head honcho....looked like a UK Northerner from the early 70's FFS
    It was exactly what you expected it to be, including his 70s way of communicating and presiding the QC. Let's call it old-fashioned...

Master
    It was exactly what you expected it to be, including his 70s way of communicating and presiding the QC. Let's call it old-fashioned...
    I was expecting to see an OHP sheet changed during the presentation, such was the 70s feel of it all.

Hoping the villager that is causing the nuisance has an interesting time from JC on an ongoing, anonymous way.

Blog Entries
    Well, that guy was hung to dry as well... Full name and full face *with face mask, early '22 remember. No holding back here!

I must say that the UK situation is not really different from the one here in the Netherlands. I live in a hamlet like Clarkson and some people are simply annoying: every tree that's cut: call the authorities! Is that allowed etc.

A local in my hamlet- I do have an idea who... who had an altercation with that authorities-calling man, repaid that 'snitching' neighbour. That neighbour has a field with grape bushes. About an acre. For private use. The pre-mentioned local has put a pin on the neighbour's location on Google with 'vineyard'. Innocent? Nope! That word triggered an EU agency: you're not allowed to grow grapes for wine without an EU permit! I didn't know that; the grape 'farmer' didn't know that. But the other local who'd put the location pin with 'vineyard' on Google... he knew! There's a reversed burden of proof, so our snitching neighbour has a hard time with the EU wine agency!
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th February 2023 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I was expecting to see an OHP sheet changed during the presentation, such was the 70s feel of it all.

Hoping the villager that is causing the nuisance has an interesting time from JC on an ongoing, anonymous way.
    This bloke, he has a very posh business address, wouldn’t think he needs crowd funding

http://www.hamishdewar.co.uk/

Didn't realise that it had started.
    Discovered it by chance and just finished the 2nd episode.
    Love it and again concur with the attention he brings to the Farming world and its difficulties.
    Especially, how he used his analysis of what happened for Farmers when with left the EU.
    Charlie could barely control his laughter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    This bloke, he has a very posh business address, wouldn’t think he needs crowd funding

http://www.hamishdewar.co.uk/
    Oh look! The argument of a 'rich bloke coming to the country' is out of the window then! It's an absolute example of 'nimby'.

I started series two last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the builder delivering the ball park quotation.

Master
    Oh look! The argument of a 'rich bloke coming to the country' is out of the window then! It's an absolute example of 'nimby'.
    Indeed, amazing but not unexpected.

The vineyard story from your hamlet is amazing!

Master
    Watched the first two last night, brilliant television

Craftsman
    I can't get the"mandolin" incident out of my mind.

Blog Entries
    Tell me: (knowing that this question is on the edge of politics; it's a closed question. A simple Y/N will do for this part of the forum): did Clarkson's attitude regarding Brexit change between the time he presented TG/GT and Clarkson's Farm?

Master
    Loved both series. Will be rewatching S2 before long.

However I doubt the plans are as haphazard as conveyed. The placement of the lamb shed was definitely for grander plans, not that I blame him. They would have known how tough planning would be from outset and I'm sure there was method to get a structure in place before applying for change of use.

Definitely shows importance of shopping local and supporting farming best we can.

Tell me: (knowing that this question is on the edge of politics; it's a closed question. A simple Y/N will do for this part of the forum): did Clarkson's attitude regarding Brexit change between the time he presented TG/GT and Clarkson's Farm?
    No, he was always against Brexit as far as I can remember.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Well, that guy was hung to dry as well... Full name and full face *with face mask, early '22 remember. No holding back here!

I must say that the UK situation is not really different from the one here in the Netherlands. I live in a hamlet like Clarkson and some people are simply annoying: every tree that's cut: call the authorities! Is that allowed etc.

A local in my hamlet- I do have an idea who... who had an altercation with that authorities-calling man, repaid that 'snitching' neighbour. That neighbour has a field with grape bushes. About an acre. For private use. The pre-mentioned local has put a pin on the neighbour's location on Google with 'vineyard'. Innocent? Nope! That word triggered an EU agency: you're not allowed to grow grapes for wine without an EU permit! I didn't know that; the grape 'farmer' didn't know that. But the other local who'd put the location pin with 'vineyard' on Google... he knew! There's a reversed burden of proof, so our snitching neighbour has a hard time with the EU wine agency!
    This is class!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    No, he was always against Brexit as far as I can remember.
    Yea, he’s always anti-Brexit

His attitude toward the government appears to have shifted though.

He is a confirmed member of the Chipping Norton set and a close friend of Cameron.

I don’t know what his relationship with Boris et Al is. He said several times in CF2 that he hates the government- whether that is this government or just thd government in general I have no idea.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    His attitude toward the government appears to have shifted though.

He is a confirmed member of the Chipping Norton set and a close friend of Cameron.

I don’t know what his relationship with Boris et Al is. He said several times in CF2 that he hates the government- whether that is this government or just thd government in general I have no idea.
    How do you know he’s a close friend of Cameron? if true you would have thought strings could have been pulled

No politics - seems pretty clear to me.

P.S. I'm looking forward to watching the 2nd series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    No politics - seems pretty clear to me.

P.S. I'm looking forward to watching the 2nd series.
    Yeah I asked that clearly in my opening. Y/N would do.
    Last edited by thieuster; 17th February 2023 at 08:39.