closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Timefacotrs are in your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    They're nice! Is the PRS 25, on the far right, the 40mm version? It looks to be a fair bit bigger than the others - or is it a trick of the lens/camera?
    Cheers, yes it’s the 40mm mk2(?) version
    M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A similar bunch to others here, but all quality pieces. Probably the 29a is the favourite as I just love the Matt dial and typeface, reminds me of smiths count down timers from my youth.

PRS3 Broadarrow
    PRS 17Q
    PRS 22 GMT
    PRS 25 silver jubilee
    Smiths 29a

Had a few others, and would like to try the aventurine dial transglobal if one ever comes up on sc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That is a pretty solid collection,very nice.

Finally added a few models to the collection!

Now sitting with:
    PRS-25
    PRS-29a
    PRS-29am
    PRS-48
    PRS-58
    PRS-60

Just waiting for the Traveller to be delivered, will try and get a family photo posted next week once it's here.

Think that might be me done now until Eddie releases the Dirty Dozen homage that's been teased (or I finally fall for the PRS-25EXP as I keep yoyoing on whether I like it or not)

Craftsman
    One of mine, the PRS18 auto was my holiday watch this year and spent two weeks in an extremely warm Italy. Spent a lot of time in water, both pool and lake and in 40+ degrees. Performed extremely well, only losing around 20 seconds over the two weeks. Simply a great watch, thanks Eddie (and John for the purchase).

Master
    Does anybody have a PRS44 Sewills pro Diver?
    I really am drawn to the blue dial version and would be interested as to how they wear. Looking at the dimensions, it seems similar to my Steinhart Ocean One GMT Ti. I'd love to see some wrist shots.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Speedbird 1 - PRS 1
    Dreadnought - PRS 2
    PRS 5
    Richmond Spencer (PRS 9?)
    Speedbird 1903
    PRS 14
    PRS 18
    PRS 20LE
    Everest PRS 25
    Carmania
    Oops
    Forgot the Sewills diver PRS44 blue dial.
    It's really lovely in the metal, and for me wears very well on a Timefactors blue canvas strap.
    The bracelet, whilst really well made, is just either too tight or too loose for me. (it needs further micro-adjustment)
    Last edited by chrisb; 29th July 2023 at 12:11.

PRS-1 Speedbird

PRS-2 Dreadnought

PRS-9 CAF

PRS-12 Speedbird 1903

PRS -17C

PRS-50

PRS-53

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Amazing collection @Griswold, whixh onw is your favorite?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Amazing collection @Griswold, whixh onw is your favorite?

Thank you.

Tough choice, the DN is special and the original Speedbird, with its plain and simple dial, is perfect in its way; but I think the one I reach for most is the PRS-53. So wearable with a fabulously clear and readable dial. It was my retirement present from a special group of close friends I worked with, which adds to my love of it too.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Thank you.

Tough choice, the DN is special and the original Speedbird, with its plain and simple dial, is perfect in its way; but I think the one I reach for most is the PRS-53. So wearable with a fabulously clear and readable dial. It was my retirement present from a special group of close friends I worked with, which adds to my love of it too.
    Thanks for that! The PRS-53 is certainly very handsome. I have been wearing my PRS-52 Polar Baby Dreadnought the most this summer, it's neat seeing one of the original Dreadnoughts. Don't think I could pull that off with my wrist size though :).

Journeyman
    I am grateful to Eddie through the Smiths line for helping me to "complete" my overall collection.

My Smiths:
    PRS-29A - The W10
    PRS-29AM - the Air Ministry
    PRS-25 Everest
    PRS-25EXP Everest Expedition
    PRS-60 Commander
    PRS-58 Traveller (cream dial)

The only watch I think doesn't belong in my collection is the PRS-25 because I think it's too Explorer derivative to be "authentic" in my eyes. I wished it looked more like the original Smiths that summitted Everest with a look similar to the PRS-25EXP but with a seconds subdial. On the other hand, the PRS-25EXP is to me the real deal, the less expensive alternative to the Rolex Explorer but with equal heritage (arguably more) and I love it for that fact.

I have really nice high-end pieces that "cover all the bases" and I am quite content from that perspective, but what I felt was lacking was a more "down to earth" version of the high-end collection that I could wear for more rough-and-tumble activities or when I didn't want to stand out, that's where Smiths fills this niche, but it fills it better than much more expensive brands in my collection like Longines. In other words, I consider my collection of Smiths watches superior to anything from Longines, except for maybe Longines chronographs (I have the titanium Avigation Bigeye).

The antimagnetic core of all the above Smiths watches is what makes them on par or superior to Longines watches, otherwise in my eyes, Smiths would be "just another microbrand". What penalizes Longines watches and makes them sub-par are their bracelets, and their use of the most terrible bracelet pins ever invented: cotter pins. Smiths on the other hand uses screw pins. It's no coincidence that the only Longines watch I have is on a leather strap. Cotter pins are very very insecure, and it doesn't just have one, but has them on every bracelet link; I have had them snap in half on removal, and they get very loose over time because the bracelet stresses are directly on the friction fit part that holds the pin in - just a terrible, cheap and nasty design that belongs on fake $20 watches, not on anything costing more than that.

Previously I felt that my Seikos would fill the category of "rough and tumble" adventure watches, but I am done waiting for Seiko to improve their quality. About the only thing Seiko has done with their $1.5k+ watches is install sapphire crystal, increase the power reserve and a couple of them have ceramic bezels; but they remain horribly inaccurate, not only in seconds per day but generally bad beat error as well, problems that Miyota movements do not have; and of course there are other QC issues like misaligned rehaut and bezel markings. On the other hand, my collection of Smiths watches blows away anything from Seiko in terms of movement, materials, bracelets, antimagnetism, QC and style. My more expensive Seikos are now relegated to "beater" status, which is remarkable because this is the first time in my 25+ year collecting history that a more inexpensive watch line has a higher value status than a more expensive brand.

So my collection of Smiths watches embody everything I love about watches: heritage, quality design; protects against the 3 things that matter: water, shock and magnets; and covers all the functional bases: hand-wind field watch, explorer type watch, divers watch, adventure travel watch. The only piece that is missing is a watch with those same qualities but in a chronograph, and I have that covered too in the form of my Hanhart flyback in 39mm with an antigmagnetic core. I was missing the adventure travel watch, but that category was finally fulfilled with the release of the Smiths Traveller which I adore.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 11th August 2023 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    ....it's neat seeing one of the original Dreadnoughts. Don't think I could pull that off with my wrist size though :).
    You will enjoy this.

Industry News – Dreadnought from Timefactors Nearing Completion
    https://www.timezone.com/2003/07/15/...pletion-71503/

My Smirhs !

And trying to get a black PRS-58 .... today ...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Hande View Post
    And trying to get a black PRS-58 .... today ...

Where did you get the black and gold strap from? Looks a good match on the Everest.

Nice collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PRS-25 gilt: The black-gold strap comes from CNS (CheapestNatoStraps) https://cnswatchbands.com/
    They have good quality and reasonable prices.

AND JUST ORDERED "MY" PRS-58 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Hande View Post
    AND JUST ORDERED "MY" PRS-58 !!
    Congratulations!

Apprentice
    2 Everest's black and white dial's, 2 PRS-29s again black an white dial's, Commander, Traveller and an Everest exp

PRS-58 Traveller arrived at my daughters place in Wales.
    I will get it at Christmas ... So, waiting !

Master
    Blog Entries
    PRS-32 Vanguard X2 (both colourways)
    Sewills Carmania
    Eddies special Jubilee aventurine dial

Journeyman
    deleted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishbio2; 17th October 2023 at 04:03. Reason: image doesn't show

Quote Originally Posted by Lelykins View Post
    Just the three. 17q still going strong after around 15yrs.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Very nice knife at the bottom of your image. Do you mind if I ask what brand/ model it is?

It's just a cheap Sanrenmu. Can't remember the model or steel but have always liked it. Really like the NRA outdoors stocksman above, great little knife

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am very,very happy to add this to my small collection.

Its the first generation with fixed bars and acrylic crystal,features that I like a lot.

A remake in my mind should be as close to the original as it is possible to get looks wise at least.

Though the extra W/R etc. is most welcome.

The Aventurine Trans-Global arrived yesterday, so I now have that to go alongside its ice blue sibling, an Everest Expedition, and a Caribbean.

Last edited by Sandpiper; 20th October 2023 at 18:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely looking watches I bet they sparkle in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Lovely looking watches I bet they sparkle in the sun.
    They do indeed, the Caribbean and Trans-Globals certainly do. The EE is a little more under the radar, but it's still a little stunner.

Fancied some yellow on a rainy day

I have checked to see how many I have and it turns out I have 12, in model number order

PRS-10 G10 Military acrylic crystal
    PRS-18Q Original non COSC
    PRS-20 Italian (non LE)
    PRS-25 Everest 40mm Acrylic
    PRS-32 Black Vanguard
    PRS-40 NATO Auto
    PRS-52 Black Baby Dreadnought
    PRS-55 Yellow Caribbean
    PRS-56 Mission Timer Silver Bezel
    PRS-60 Commander
    PRS-68 Baby Willard
    PRS-82 RN Diver

I'll see if I can get a group photo at the weekend.
    Last edited by nibby; 17th December 2023 at 21:46.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Griswold;6256014]PRS-1 Speedbird

What deployment is that on your PRS1? I’ve always worn mine on a NATO but that looks great.

[QUOTE=Ser3 J;6321137]
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    PRS-1 Speedbird

What deployment is that on your PRS1? I’ve always worn mine on a NATO but that looks great.
    Hi. The strap is a dark brown Hirsch Sheep, but the deployant is unmarked other than Stainless Steel so am guessing aftermarket from somewhere. It came with the PRS-1 when I bought it here on Sales Corner. The combination certainly suits the watch.
    Best Regards - Peter

Had a PRS 17c a mate fell in love with it years ago so he had it, PRS 20 Italian and a PRS-52 both keepers

Master
    I have just one at the moment; the Baby Dreadnought, which is a complete beaut.

Would like a Trans Global, but hard to find one of those in the open.

The gift for me that waited some months for me in the UK ... where my daughter lives