closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher recommendations

Dishwasher recommendations

Oh the excitement!

My DW has packed up after only 5 years; economically unviable to repair.

Service engineer said 1.) avoid Hoover, Bush or Candy or own brands

2.) At the intermediate price point: Beko are best followed by Hotpoint / Indesit

3.) Best Miele followed by Bosch (I had a Miele vacuum cleaner that lasted nearly 30 years and was a great bit of kit but their DWs start at a grand!)

So: recommend me a dishwasher.

Also: I can't believe it's come to this, the dullest thread ever posted here. Sorry.

Finally, if you've got a good one going spare and you're in the Midlands drop me a PM (ooh, is that a stealth wtb? Well it's not like I'm gonna flip it on the white goods grey market.)

Post your boring replies here.

Thanks all.

Craftsman
    Apologies. I read it as Dear Wife (DW) has packed up. Bosch.Serie 2 SMS2ITW08G. Currys.
    Last edited by EBB21; 8th February 2023 at 15:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Samsung or LG

We have an LG washing/dryer and Samsung Dishwasher. Both are the best we've had for reliability and noise levels.

I had a Beko - did the job, no complaints and seemed good value. I like a cutlery tray at the top rather than a cutlery basket at the bottom so was led by that somewhat.

Previously have had Bosch; always thought they were great, but one broke and the engineer said ‘they’re not as good as they used to be’. That’s all I’ve got. Think there was another thread on this recently; might be worth a search.

We've had the same Bosch model for over 20 years and it's still going strong.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Have you had a look on Which? for their recommendations?

If not, I’m happy to look for you but I’ll need a bit more detail: full size or slimline, integrated or freestanding, approx budget etc etc

Unhesitatingly Bosch all day for me. Ours has been totally reliable for the last 8yrs.
    A lot of faults are caused by lack of filter cleaning. I do ours at least once a fortnight.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Oh the excitement!

3.) Best Miele followed by Bosch (I had a Miele vacuum cleaner that lasted nearly 30 years and was a great bit of kit but their DWs start at a grand!)

So: recommend me a dishwasher.
    I don't know if Miele quality is the same but over the last 22 odd years I've had 3 Miele dishwashers.

Having used the first one for 5 years in a family of 4 kids and 2 adults I gave it to my parents and it's still working with no repairs having to be done. The second one lasted for 17 years being used heavily by my family. It was an older design that had the exposed heating element in the bottom of the washing cabinet which eventually failed. Not worth repairing so I purchased another Miele - cheapest one they do with the hidden element and only a few programmes which is all I need.

I'd go Miele.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 8th February 2023 at 15:58.

Have a Bosch and it’s fine but I should have got Miele.

Nothing wrong with the Bosch but we got our in-laws a Miele and that is definitely better. Even opens a little at the end of the cycle to let the steam out and help dry the dishes.

Only must with a dishwasher is get a top cutlery row, not that weird box on the bottom row.

Blog Entries
    Have had Indesit for the last 25 years (three of them), but with new kitchen I got a built-in Neff in 2018.

It is excellent, silent, easy to use, cleans very well.

Master

Dishwasher recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have a Bosch and it’s fine but I should have got Miele.

Nothing wrong with the Bosch but we got our in-laws a Miele and that is definitely better. Even opens a little at the end of the cycle to let the steam out and help dry the dishes.

Only must with a dishwasher is get a top cutlery row, not that weird box on the bottom row.
    We got a new Bosch dishwasher just before Christmas and it pops open at the end of cycle and has the cutlery shelf, rather than the box.

It’s a series 6 SMD6TCX00E, up to a grand in the shops but we got it directly from Bosch on a corporate discount scheme for £730.

Seems to be pretty good so far and A rated for efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We bought "the equivalent" of our old Bosch dishwasher and fridge freezer when we had a new kitchen. The new ones are made in China and weigh a fraction of what the old ones did. The fittings are flimsy, so will not take any abuse. I used to buy Bosch everything but as with most things, a Far East production means a drop in longevity. One guy lifted the new ones up the three steps into our kitchen. It took two and a lot of grunting to take out the old ones! We are about six months into use, so time will tell but don't hold your breath!

Master
    We had a Smeg for a bit, and it was crap. The Siemens after that lasted 15 years, the Bosch we have now has been in for maybe 4 years? I'd recommend both of those.

Much prefer the top shelf cutlery, too.

My Bosch washing machine has been going since 2001, no signs of stopping yet...

I'd like one of the fancy ones that opens the door to let the dishes dry rather then using electric heat. Think some miele and higher end Bosch have this feature.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got Bosch everything in the kitchen and no complaints (touch wood)

Don't waste your dough on a Fisher and Paykel double dish drawer. Stupid idea. Got a cheap Bosch now and it's loads better

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    If you buy a cheap dish washer, you will end up buying twice.

It really is Miele all the time. They just go on and on, are silent in operation and are nearly always repairable in the rare event they go wrong.

No surprises - the usual suspects,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Our Bosch has been stellar for 15 years. Or I should say *my* Bosch as I’m the only person that loads and unloads it…

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you buy a cheap dish washer, you will end up buying twice.

It really is Miele all the time.
    This.

Nothing more exciting that a What Dishwasher or What Washing Machine thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I'd like one of the fancy ones that opens the door to let the dishes dry rather than using electric heat. Think some miele and higher end Bosch have this feature.
    Some of the IKEA dishwashers do this, 5 year guarantee too. Ours was a good price and has lasted well, no idea who makes them for Ikea.

If funds are available, buy a Miele, run it for a couple of years and you can always move it on for what it owes you.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Nothing more exciting that a What Dishwasher or What Washing Machine thread.
    +1
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    MX5

(or for this thread Bosch)

Our last one packed up after 30 years, The new one is not quite so well built so only expecting 15-20

... the dishwasher, that is - I am hoping our MX5s last much longer
    Last edited by stiglet; 8th February 2023 at 20:39.

Blog Entries
    At the risk of going against the tide - we have a Bosch & although it suffers much abuse ... it's not great.

Example abuse being teabags accidentally loaded & cleaned (our teabags seem remarkably resilient as they survive the cycle intact)
    These are only noticed by me when clearing the filters, refilling the salt etc... something only I do in this house)

I digress, the Bosch cleaning performance is a bit crap - maybe that's why the teabags survive ?
    On anything other than the max. setting (so least power efficient) it's pretty much useless.
    On any other setting, you'd have to wash by hand before loading it to get anything like acceptable results.

z

Craftsman
    Our built in NEFF broke last year after 10 years. During that time all we did was replace the waste pipe so served us well considering it was used every day. I replaced it with a Bosch. For me, the biggest disappointment was the lack of progress in dishwasher tech in 10 years. Apart from the new one now having a small light projected onto the floor to tell you it is on, it is the exact same in every other way, right down to the buttons and internal layout. Not sure what I was expecting but sometimes I quite like when things like this break as, despite the cost, it gives you the opportunity to get the latest tech. To say I was disappointed when it came to dishwasher shopping is an understatement!

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Don't waste your dough on a Fisher and Paykel double dish drawer. Stupid idea. Got a cheap Bosch now and it's loads better

We had the same for many years that I bought before we had kids, excellent for a couple though. We now have a Samsung and not had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    Our built in NEFF broke last year after 10 years. During that time all we did was replace the waste pipe so served us well considering it was used every day. I replaced it with a Bosch. For me, the biggest disappointment was the lack of progress in dishwasher tech in 10 years. Apart from the new one now having a small light projected onto the floor to tell you it is on, it is the exact same in every other way, right down to the buttons and internal layout. Not sure what I was expecting but sometimes I quite like when things like this break as, despite the cost, it gives you the opportunity to get the latest tech. To say I was disappointed when it came to dishwasher shopping is an understatement!
    Probably wifi enabled though so you can operate it from your phone!

Master
    Any white goods, always Miele for me.

Blog Entries
    Had a Bosch 5 years since we moved in, it was already here, and no problems apart from cleaning. Had a similar (same?) one at the previous house over 9 years no problems again. So it's Bosch for me.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My Bosch is basically the same machine as my sister’s Neff, just badged differently.

Be careful if the unit has a tray at the top for cutlery, as you can end up with a middle tray that is quite shallow for glasses which previously fit in the middle shelf.
    If you lower the middle shelf (some do) to allow that- you end up with your dinner plates in the bottom tray - fouling the sprayer arm.

I’d go for one with the ‘normal’ cutlery basket that lifts out of the bottom tray.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Or I should say *my* Bosch as I’m the only person that loads and unloads it…
    The struggle is real

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    My Bosch is basically the same machine as my sister’s Neff, just badged differently.

Be careful if the unit has a tray at the top for cutlery, as you can end up with a middle tray that is quite shallow for glasses which previously fit in the middle shelf.
    If you lower the middle shelf (some do) to allow that- you end up with your dinner plates in the bottom tray - fouling the sprayer arm.

I’d go for one with the ‘normal’ cutlery basket that lifts out of the bottom tray.
    Yes,
    Neff , Siemens and Gaggenau are all part of te Bosch Group (BSH Hausgeräte GmbH) and share quite a lot.

Craftsman
    Bosch for me - worth checking the AO.com outlet on eBay. We picked up a £1k Bosch model for £500ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We’ve got a mid range Bosch defiantly flimsier than the older one but isn’t that the same with everything works fine though had it a couple of years now

Blog Entries
    Apart from brands: look for: noise (absence of), adjustable inner works, cutlery in a basket or on a tray, extended warranty and -important these days- how much power it uses. A cheaper model can be more expensive in the long run due to the 'power factor'. And, extended warranty can be very useful...

...in our previous house, we had a built-in Bosch that failed at least 1x year. When we moved to our current house, we found out that there was a 'next gen' Bosch built in. This one performs perfectly.

So in watch terms:

Amazingly the Miele AD has stainless steel sports models in stock, so no need to put my name on a list and wait for The Call.

Bosch, Neff , Siemens and Gaggenau are all part of the Swatch / Richemont Group and share quite a lot. Nice stuff though.

Bush and Candy have quartz models and hands that don't hit the markers.

While most are manufactured in Asia, that doesn’t make them equal. I have had a Miele for years now, with no issues but should it fail I would also look at Samsung; In many respects South Korea is the Asian Germany.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Miele currently but had a Siemens (high end Bosch) for 15 years without issues, would only look at those brands

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In many respects South Korea is the Asian Germany.
    Why does this remind me of Alan Partridge?

https://youtu.be/kwsBV2EgJ-E

:)

z

What's wrong with the little box at the bottom for cutlery?

My mum has a Bosch with the top cutlery rack and frankly it's a PITA to place each individual item in the slots. With a basket you can just chuck 'em in.

We had a Beko in the old place and it lasted 16 years before we moved and left it there. We inherited a 15-year Bosch and it broke after 3 months of us using it, so we got another Beko with 5 year warranty. No complaints so far.

Master
    We’ve got a Siemens built in with the tray at the top. Much prefer it to the cutlery box. The one we have has lots of height adjustment so I sorted it once and never had to bother again. It also has a handy projector display onto the floor so you can see where it is in the cycle. The other important thing for me is that it is very quiet as the kitchen area is part of the larger family room.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Why does this remind me of Alan Partridge?

https://youtu.be/kwsBV2EgJ-E

:)

z
    Excellent
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    While most are manufactured in Asia, that doesn’t make them equal. I have had a Miele for years now, with no issues but should it fail I would also look at Samsung; In many respects South Korea is the Asian Germany.
    Are they? Turkey and Poland I thought

This thread is nothing without pics.......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I have mixed feelings about the top drawer thing.

I have two top drawer Miele dishwashers, one in the UK and the other in Spain.

The one inSpain is full of crockery that we purchased in the 1990s and the large plates are about 1" smaller than the newer plates we have in the UK machine. Therefore the adjustable middle tray is very useful as we can accommodate everything dead easy. However the larger plates that are now popular means that the UK machine cannot really clean the large plates unless small stemmed wine glasses are used in the middle tray.

Despite all of that kerfuffle, I still prefer the top tray for cutlery.

The one thing that does irritate me is that many manufacturers are no longer having a pre rinse facility fitted, so you have to rinse under the tap before putting it in the wash. Not an efficient use of water.

Master
    Neff and it is naff.

Our dinner plates are not large, and we’re fine in the last dishwasher. The new one requires them to go in at an angle which is irritating.

It does have a nice function of being able to remove the top drawer, put a shower head type contraption on it for washing large trays or pots. I find it useful as the BGE grill just manages to fit inside and saves a messy sink area as it’s too large to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Neff and it is naff
    I feel that Alan Partridge brand of dishwasher choice would be a Neff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I feel that Alan Partridge brand of dishwasher choice would be a Neff.
    Samsung. It’s the Korean Neff.

z