closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wellbeing suggestions?

Master
    Blog Entries

Wellbeing suggestions?

Feel like a bag of bo110ck5 lately. What do you TZ lot take to make you all such a fit healthy handsome lot .

Can we keep it legal though.

I'm talking vitamins, supplements, creams , moisturizer,? What's good to keep the joints and bones loose?
    Do you do any kind of stretches to keep the body nimble?
    What have you done that has had an impact on you feeling healthier?

When did you last have a proper health check with a full set of bloods?

I'm talking vitamins, supplements, creams , moisturizer,?

Are those actually good for you though, i dont think so

Healthy eating, exercise, good regular sleep patterns.

Master
    Eat well and walk, walk, walk. No running, that wears out parts that you will need later in life (don't ask me how I know this!).

Move, eat right, sleep right, do what you enjoy...but with moderation. Most of that vitamins stuff is a scam.

It’s worth listening to the Andrew Huberman podcast. Either his own one of where he’s been a guest in Joe Rogan.

No phone after 11pm, prioritise sleep, don’t eat for at least 4 hours before bed, try and get outside in the morning if you can (I have my coffee in the garden no matter what) and if necessary take some vitamin D. Don’t have tea or coffee within 90 mins of waking up.

I do the above and for the last month have restricted junk to homemade junk and at weekends only. I feel so much better, more upbeat, and have lost 5kg without any exercise at all.

Grand Master
    If you genuinely feel listless and lacking in energy its well worth getting a blood test to check for underlying health conditions.

Get sufficient sleep, control your weight, exercise regularly (but don’t overdo it), try to minimise stress and worry. Spend more time doing hobbys and activities that you enjoy, spend more time doing what you want to do and less doing what you don’t want to do...........retirement helps a lot in this respect!

A good diet, no smoking, drinking alcohol in moderation will help. Only take vitamin/ mineral supplements if your diet isn’t brilliant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you genuinely feel listless and lacking in energy its well worth getting a blood test to check for underlying health conditions.

Get sufficient sleep, control your weight, exercise regularly (but don’t overdo it), try to minimise stress and worry. Spend more time doing hobbys and activities that you enjoy, spend more time doing what you want to do and less doing what you don’t want to do...........retirement helps a lot in this respect!

A good diet, no smoking, drinking alcohol in moderation will help. Only take vitamin/ mineral supplements if your diet isn’t brilliant.
    I was a total workaholic working all hours until my wife put a gun to my head and said retire or die. So I retired at 61 and have since had a bloody good time and the lack of stress is the best tonic going.

I am off out to Oxford for a look around and a decent lunch and whilst I am doing that, the gardener is working his guts out trimming a pile of ivy. That is the way to live.

Cut down/cut out booze.
    Eat well.
    Sleep well.
    Swim. The feeling of weightlessness while being suspended in water is fantastic.
    Get outdoors and soak up the fresh air.

I'll echo what a lot of other people have said - get a check-up.

Walk more. (Find an excuse to walk if you need to - carry a camera, keep your eyes open.)

Drink less alcohol. Make sure you sleep.

Cook, don't buy processed foods. You don't have to be Gordon Ramsey, just grab Deliah's How To Cook, work your way through it, enjoy the process.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Feel like a bag of bo110ck5 lately. What do you TZ lot take to make you all such a fit healthy handsome lot .

I'm talking vitamins, supplements, creams , moisturizer,? What's good to keep the joints and bones loose?
    How old are you?

Personally my kids keeps me moving. One's energetic and hard to keep still (7 years old). The other (12 years old) needs motivation to get going so between them both life's pretty hectic.

I'm NOT talking vitamins, supplements, creams and moisturizer and don't do you do any kind of stretches to keep the body nimble. At 43 it's probably time I should.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Healthy eating, exercise, good regular sleep patterns.
    That's pretty much it, but also find a hobby that you enjoy (it can be exercise, but doesn't have to be) and let your hair down once in a while too, we're not here for long

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    That's pretty much it, but also find a hobby that you enjoy (it can be exercise, but doesn't have to be) and let your hair down once in a while too, we're not here for long
    Speak for yourself, I keep coming back!!! :0)

It could also be the freezing weather and darkness that has had an impact on you over the past few months.

Not much more to add than what's been said but

1) Some form of exercise - even if it's just getting outside in the fresh air and walking will help
    2) Stretching - yep, it really will help. You'll feel more freedom when moving. Muscle activation exercises will go hand in hand with stretching
    3) Start a new hobby! Great idea as mentioned on this thread. Try something that interests you or a few different things. It needs to be challenging so you can stick with it and improve

To add, over winter it's not bad to take extra vitamin D because of more darkness and lack of sun 🌞

Pilates.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It’s worth listening to the Andrew Huberman podcast. Either his own one of where he’s been a guest in Joe Rogan.

No phone after 11pm, prioritise sleep, don’t eat for at least 4 hours before bed, try and get outside in the morning if you can (I have my coffee in the garden no matter what) and if necessary take some vitamin D. Don’t have tea or coffee within 90 mins of waking up.

I do the above and for the last month have restricted junk to homemade junk and at weekends only. I feel so much better, more upbeat, and have lost 5kg without any exercise at all.
    Do you have the episode number?

Sounds like something I should listen to as probably break all those rules!

Master
    Walking is underestimated, a nice walk somewhere peaceful is brilliant. If you must take your phone with you have it on silent so your not distracted.
    A few mates and myself have a code for when things aren't great, or if we spot one of us is struggling and that's fancy a walk, and we will meet up and go for a walk and a chat find a cafe have a coffee and put the world to rights.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok. Cheers.

TBH I'd say I do pretty much all that. Love to walk when I can . Don't eat too bad, try to leave meat out at least 3x a week. Always a Sunday dinner. Lunch is sandwiches with super seaded bread and 3 different fruits. . Do not eat or drink after 19.30. only alcohol at weekend.

Sleep is not too bad. Prob fall asleep about 11 and up at 6.30. lately though I've been going to bed at 9 to rest. Just lately seems to be cold after cold and at the moment I'm coughing gunk up since last week. Pulled my back for the first time few weeks ago by just pulling down on a gate latch.

I had bloods few months ago as I felt my guts wasn't right and they came back ok.

I reckon probably just need to get to spring and get rid of these colds. Deffo need some kind of stretches routine.

Lots of good advice here so far. I'd add glucosamine for joints (3 weeks on; 1 week off -- by the end of the fourth week my joints hurt again but maybe that's psychosomatic) and tumeric.

Get some exercise and natural light every day, ideally in the mornings.

Cut out (or cut down on) alcohol and caffeine -- I usually have one tea or coffee before noon and one glass of booze in the early evening but really I could and should ditch the latter.

And remember we've just left January behind -- which is most people's low point in the year.

Go well; good luck and God bless.

All the best advise re excercise, diet etc has already been given above

Apparantly this or any of his others get good reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freedom-Anx...ps%2C84&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Do you have the episode number?

Sounds like something I should listen to as probably break all those rules!
    I’ve downloaded a few of his own podcast but haven’t listened yet - I’ve listed to the top two of him on Rogan here (listening to the top one a second time currently) and am due to listen to the bottom one shortly.

Was meant to listen on the plane but the tvs had the entire first season of Yellowstone so binged that instead.

He’s a decent follow on IG. Decent tips which you can have confidence in.

Master
    For the body, Tabata 4 minute super high intensity training at home a couple of times a week seems to knock off about twenty years, but it’s hard to keep it going as it feels like throwing yourself at a wall as hard as you can. However whenever I do get into the habit I realise that ‘feeling old’ is mostly ‘being unfit’. For the rest, some form of meditation can make a genuine difference, given proper teachers and regular practice.

Apart from that I’m fond of Korean Ginseng (or any quality ginseng really), served with or without vodka, and good spirulina. Aveeno do some some miraculous moisturisers for those of us who have thirsty skin. I’ve also found that Viridian enhanced rhodiola complex gets me through long, stressful and intensive projects and seems to protect from burn out, but you can’t take it indefinitely.

I rate Huberman too, but if I took all his advice every day I'm not sure I'd have the time or freedom for anything else.

Knows his stuff, though. And no Yankee pyschobabble or pseudo-science.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’ve downloaded a few of his own podcast but haven’t listened yet - I’ve listed to the top two of him on Rogan here (listening to the top one a second time currently) and am due to listen to the bottom one shortly.

Was meant to listen on the plane but the tvs had the entire first season of Yellowstone so binged that instead.

He’s a decent follow on IG. Decent tips which you can have confidence in.

Thanks will give it a go. I’ve never actually listened to Rogan so will be a first for that too lol.

Getting a dog helped me - ensures I start every day with a bracing walk, and also very good for my mental health.

Blog Entries
    Try getting a Fitbit or Garmin to track your sleep / activity levels / active minutes / heart rate etc. they give an insensitive to keep moving and set and aim for targets. Couple with a pair of “smart” scales to measure your body vitals and it gives you something to aim for e.g. lose 10% body fat for example.

if you can get down the gym x3 times a week or some other activity that gets your heart rate up and gives your muscles a work out.

Eat sleep exercise repeat - as they say!

Keep smiling. If you are having low energy because of infection. Maybe boost your immune system - which is all helped by healthy eating / healthy sleeping / lay off the booze (and fags). Try to do something you enjoy at least once a week - theatre, music, golf whatever.

I stopped all alcohol for 4 weeks and feel a lot better for it. I was moving toward having a drink or two daily which wasn’t great for me as I have osteoporosis and is a contraindication.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th February 2023 at 19:25.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Getting a dog helped me - ensures I start every day with a bracing walk, and also very good for my mental health.
    One of my main reasons for wanting one. I find days I don't go to the gym, with working from home - I don't leave the house. Would love a reason to leave the house , leave the phone behind and get out .

I know its easy to go for a walk without a dog but I just don't have the motivations some days.

Or a mistress?

Craftsman
    My exercise routine is pretty poor, my diet isn’t great and my sleep pattern is shocking !!! For the past 10 years I’ve suffered with Gout in my ankles, knees and fingers and was at the end of my tether. My elderly Mum suggested I try Turmeric daily and thinking I had nothing to lose I bought a 3 month course of drinks from the Turmeric company. 2 years on I no longer suffer from gout or any associated joint pain and as a side effect I rarely get heartburn/indigestion any more which I used to get regularly. To be fair it took the best part of a year before I noticed any great improvement. Still have Lots of things I need to work on still but …. Little steps as they say. I’ve also started having a 15 minute sauna 4-5 times a week and that has definitely helped me chill a bit more.

On a side note a friend of mine has suffered from MS and was walking with the aid of crutches for many years and about 5 or 6 years ago he was told about a product called Symprove which is produced near me in Farnham, Surrey. He had tried lots of other treatments to little or no avail so thought he’d give it a shot. It’s basically a daily drink filled with probiotics etc. I saw him briefly just before Christmas and he’s far from cured and I’m guessing the long term prognosis isn’t rosy but year on year he has definitely become much more mobile, to the point where he no longer uses the crutches and is back doing track days on his motorbike. A bit of a miracle I would say aligned with an incredibly positive mindset. To be fair he also now has a strict diet regime which probably also helps. He reckons that having a healthy gut is good for both body and soul. I haven’t tried any yet but it’s on my list of things to do this year.

Master
    Echo what many here have said;

- Eat well (this will doubtless mean different things to different people!)
    - Sleep well and consistently
    - Get out in daylight (related to sleeping well), and walk a decent amount
    - Some weight training is good, but not too much and build up to it
    - Personal one, but I think meditation is incredibly helpful. Again, build up to it

Those are the main for me. Another might be enjoy company - which goes along with occasionally drinking. Alcohol can be a bad one, but in moderation (and occasionally quite a bit more than moderation!) is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    One of my main reasons for wanting one. I find days I don't go to the gym, with working from home - I don't leave the house. Would love a reason to leave the house , leave the phone behind and get out .

I know its easy to go for a walk without a dog but I just don't have the motivations some days.
    Years ago, I started a home based job and after about a month, I started making sure I walked a mile (at least) every day, because it was far too easy to sit in front of a screen all day.

It's good to get out and get some fresh air and exercise, but it also clears the mind and reduces some of the stress.

Nowadays, I generally refuse meetings scheduled between 12 and 2, I'm convinced people just do that to give the impression they are so important they can only fit you in during what should be a lunch break

My working pattern is much more flexible nowadays, so. I often walk 3 or 4 miles a day.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    1. Long walks twice a week (with a friend if possible).
    2. Swimming 1km twice a week.
    3. Meditation, 30 minutes a day.
    4. In bed by 10pm, asleep by midnight.
    5. Eat well.
    6. No alcohol.
    7. No smoking.
    8. Decaf coffee in the evening.
    9. Enjoyable hobbies.
    10. Don't overwork.
    11. Don't overspend.
    12. Stick to a realistic enjoyable weekly routine.

Reminds me of the old joke that if you give up drink, cigarettes and women, you won't live any longer, but it will feel like a lot longer!

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Eat well and walk, walk, walk. No running, that wears out parts that you will need later in life (don't ask me how I know this!).
    100%

lemon drizzle cake

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    OMG yes. Ran for years. Knee cream crackered now. Walk. Lots.

Keep well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    1. Long walks twice a week (with a friend if possible).
    2. Swimming 1km twice a week.
    3. Meditation, 30 minutes a day.
    4. In bed by 10pm, asleep by midnight.
    5. Eat well.
    6. No alcohol.
    7. No smoking.
    8. Decaf coffee in the evening.
    9. Enjoyable hobbies.
    10. Don't overwork.
    11. Don't overspend.
    12. Stick to a realistic enjoyable weekly routine.
    13. Avoid lists :)

In all seriousness lots of good suggestions so far. A minor one to protect your eyes, 20,20,20. When working with screens, every 20 minutes focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds to rest your eyes. This app helps to remind you: https://breaktimer.app/
    Last edited by gerrudd; 9th February 2023 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    lemon drizzle cake
    OH YES.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    13. Avoid lists :)

In all seriousness lots of good suggestions so far. A minor one to protect your eyes, 20,20,20. When working with screens, every 20 minutes focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds to rest your eyes. This app helps to remind you: https://breaktimer.app/
    Will try that, I don’t take enough breaks and I sense since Covid changes my eyes are less dynamic than they used to be.

Or it’s just age and pushing 50!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Or a mistress?
    Been there done that. Expensive and not very good for mental health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Master
    OP doesn’t state his age, a factor which may have a very significant effect on how well he feels. Also doesn’t tell us his background, some folks thrive on exercise and activity whilst others are the opposite, they don’t gravitate towards an active life.

My sister and I are prime examples, I loved sport and activity whilst she hated it, we are all different and its no good trying to force around peg into a square hole.

Have to smile at the meditation advice, can’t think of anything worse than forcing myself to sit and think for 30 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    lemon drizzle cake
    We have a winner!

What have you done that has had an impact on you feeling healthier?
    Most people do not need vitamin supplements but we've been brainwashed by advertisers and ignorant journalists that we do. Too many vitamin supplements can be harmful.
    Consider reading Professor Tim Spectors' latest book: FOOD FOR LIFE https://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Users-...c=1&th=1&psc=1

If your joints / bones are aching, consider adding turmeric and black pepper to your food (but in moderation) ... it's not a vitamin supplement

Do you drink or smoke? Tobacco and alcohol can compromise the gut microbiome and thus weaken the body's immune system and a person's ability to cope with infections / viruses.

Latest recommendation ref healthy diet is to eat THIRTY plus, plant foods per week ... forget the '5 a day' fruit and veg routine ... it's 'old hat'

30 plant foods per week is fairly easy to achieve as can include; mixed nuts, mixed salad veg, mixed cooked veg, mixed fruit, mixed seeds, mixed cereals ... all documented in FOOD FOR LIFE book.

And strangely, one of the best drinks for a healthy gut is COFFEE ... one of the best sources of soluble fibre ... and it will not prevent sleep provided it's not consumed late evening. Soluble fibre is very different to e.g., insoluble 'wheat bran'.
    Benefits of coffee also documented in the FOOD FOR LIFE book.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    I was away skiing with the family this week. Added to that is the drive to Les Gets and back, either side of the holiday.
    We got back last night after an 11 hour drive.

Before I went, I had my first ever B12 injection.
    For a quick fix, I would highly recommend it. It did feel like it has helped.

30 fags a day, 6 pints a night, fry up every morning!
    Seriously I think vit D plays a big part in peoples wellbeing at this time of year
    Try to get out in the sunshine (when we have it) maybe look at a supplement. Eat healthy with lots of fruit and veg. Get a decent night kip.
    I don’t think it’s rocket science but modern life does get in the way sometimes.
    I hope you start to feel a bit better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thanks will give it a go. I’ve never actually listened to Rogan so will be a first for that too lol.
    The daily mail of podcasts. I’m not a regular listener but do pick some episodes after reading the synopsis

Surprised we don't see more of these hairy shirts up for sale on SC!

Sounds like you are covering the obvious - diet, booze, sleep, exercise.

It has been a tough, strange few years, maybe indulge yourself a bit. Big night out with the lads if that's your thing, or a trip away somewhere (without kids if relevant), go to Cheltenham next month and blow a load. Whatever floats your boats.

Also no one has mentioned cycling. Go for a bike ride!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I run twice a week (10k road+21k Xc), swim twice (2k+1.5k), twice cross trainer HIIT, mid week badminton and daily dog walks. Chores/day off on Saturday. Out of that, then the daily walks and swimming would be my recommendation.