closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I just cut the cord on cable TV and internet!

I just cut the cord on cable TV and internet!

Note: I live in the U.S., in San Diego.

Since both my wife and I are now retired and on fixed incomes, I decided to review our expenses to see if we could save money anywhere. After cutting back on the local newspaper delivery from daily to Sunday only ($89 to $8), I checked out our cable bill (internet, home phone, and cable TV - highest level), and was shocked. We've been paying $323 per month on their bundled 'savings' plan. So, did some research and now have a non-bundled system with MORE capability for $170 per month. Yay!

Using a different cable provider for internet only, my download speeds have risen from 45 mps to 350 mbs, and my internet costs decreased from $60 to $25. This provider also offers home (landline) phone service for only $20 per month, vs. $45 with our old provider.

But the real savings comes from TV. After doing a bit of research, I decided to sign up for YouTube TV (streaming on my ROKU device), which offers more than 100 of the most popular channels, including all broadcast networks and a couple local news stations. I also added all the pay channels we previously had, including HBO and HBO Max, Showtime, Paramount + (which includes EPIX), Starz, Cinemax, and HULU. (I think there are more pay TV channels we got, but I can't remember!) The savings on TV was $93 per month. Yoo-hoo!

As an aside, I also looked into our insurance policies. By switching from my local insurance agent (of 25 years) to the national USAA company for veterans, I'm saving an additional >$1,500 per year.

Finally, due to the rising inflation in 2022, my government retirement (Social Security) and veterans disability compensation payout went up 8.7% on January 1.

So now I'm fat dumb, and sassy!

Oh, we cut back from two cars to one six months after my wife retired in November 2021, saving us about $300 per month. Virtually no issues or conflicts in car usage either.

Master
    Stunned to see a bill of over $300 on internet / phone / TV

Ours is about £120 / $150 a month but also has 2 mobile phone contracts included

Vodafone: internet, landline & 2 mobiles £90
    Sky TV: £30

Master
    Also stunned by the £10 a day local newspaper delivery

Master
    Blog Entries
    Out in the Falklands (only one Internet provider) I am paying 200 quid a month for 150GB broadband data limit!! Everybody his waiting for Starlink to be available but our government has already taken steps to block it as the current Telecommunications Provider has an exclusive license (Monopoly)

I have to use a stupid device to give all family members a daily internet quota. That is not even the largest Internet package - believe some go up to 500 quid and still not unlimited.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Out in the Falklands (only one Internet provider) I am paying 200 quid a month for 150GB broadband data limit!!
    I'm guessing that everything is expensive in the Falklands? (genuine question)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I'm guessing that everything is expensive in the Falklands? (genuine question)
    Yes - kind of but it balances out a little. E.g not many places to spend your money lol

Food = expensive, all imported except beef and fish

Booze & Fags = believe cheaper as lower tax on these. Pubs generally same price as off licence so your paying £1.50 for a beer

Fuel = was dirt cheap until recent times

Wages: lower tax bands (nothing above 26%)

Property = Cheap compared to UK but of course less choice and most Timber Framed kits imported. Guessing here but would say average price is prob around 200K for a 3 / 4 bedroom but demand now is through the roof due to population growth

All clothes and other goods imported by Air or Sea.

Overall its paradise if your an outdoor person, not so much for a big city person :)
    Last edited by kultschar; 7th February 2023 at 13:17.

Craftsman
    Yes - kind of but it balances out a little. E.g not many places to spend your money lol........................
    Really interesting - thanks for the reply!

I once had my bag searched in Chile for a suspicious item whilst travelling from the Falklands to Colombia. Turned out to be a jar of Marmite that I had paid an extortionate amount for in The West Store. The customs official asked me to explain what it was, looked absolutely disgusted and gave it back.

I'd take in as much permitted fruit as I could carry for my hosts in Stanley and I'd be the local hero for a week.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I once had my bag searched in Chile for a suspicious item whilst travelling from the Falklands to Colombia. Turned out to be a jar of Marmite that I had paid an extortionate amount for in The West Store. The customs official asked me to explain what it was, looked absolutely disgusted and gave it back.

I'd take in as much permitted fruit as I could carry for my hosts in Stanley and I'd be the local hero for a week.

Yes Chile pretty strict on what you can bring in

Just come back from Chile - my mate was on same flight and had a suitcase of fruit with him lol

Master
    Yes - kind of but it balances out a little. E.g not many places to spend your money lol

Food = expensive, all imported except beef and fish

Booze & Fags = believe cheaper as lower tax on these. Pubs generally same price as off licence so your paying £1.50 for a beer

Fuel = was dirt cheap until recent times

Wages: lower tax bands (nothing above 26%)

Property = Cheap compared to UK but of course less choice and most Timber Framed kits imported. Guessing here but would say average price is prob around 200K for a 3 / 4 bedroom but demand now is through the roof due to population growth

All clothes and other goods imported by Air or Sea.

Overall its paradise if your an outdoor person, not so much for a big city person :)
    Another genuine question. Is there still much by way of dangerous ordnance around post conflict, or has it all been cleared?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jeremy Corbyn (of UK Labour Party fame) promised everyone free internet. Guess that prospect might be classed as being ‘un-american’ or dare I day even ‘Commie’ PC? Although I hear there are quite a few Republicans who have close ties with Pootain so maybe the GOP might well bribe voters?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Jeremy Corbyn (of UK Labour Party fame) promised everyone free internet. Guess that prospect might be classed as being ‘un-american’ or dare I day even ‘Commie’ PC? Although I hear there are quite a few Republicans who have close ties with Pootain so maybe the GOP might well bribe voters?
    I am sure when I used to go to South Korea on business they used to tell me their internet at home was free and seen as a basic human need. It was also the fastest in the world back then (no idea if still is)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Another genuine question. Is there still much by way of dangerous ordnance around post conflict, or has it all been cleared?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Minefields were all cleared a few years back but the odd mine has been found since on the beach (presumably washed up with the tide)

Other ordnance is found now and then but nobody really worries about it - latest has been found when digging for construction

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yes, it sounds nice but it's too much 'Big Brother' and expensive for it to pass in Congress. Maybe next decade...

I am sure when I used to go to South Korea on business they used to tell me their internet at home was free and seen as a basic human need. It was also the fastest in the world back then (no idea if still is)
    I think Estonia also considers it a human right.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.