closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vehicle tax refund - first year tax

Master

Vehicle tax refund - first year tax

I have searched online, but probably being quite dim and cannot seem to get an answer on this.
    With a new car you must pay a usually quite expensive first year road tax AKA showroom tax.
    If you sell the car, say 6 months later, would you get a refund for part of that chunky first year payment?

You’ll get a refund for whatever is lower - the rate when car first taxed or the second year payment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I have searched online, but probably being quite dim and cannot seem to get an answer on this.
    With a new car you must pay a usually quite expensive first year road tax AKA showroom tax.
    If you sell the car, say 6 months later, would you get a refund for part of that chunky first year payment?
    Yes
    If the tax is say £550 then you would get nearly half back

Master
    Interesting, I don’t seem to have received anything back for a car I sold. I will call DVLA tomorrow to see what’s what I guess!

Master
    To follow up on this. I did call DVLA who asked me to write to them.
    They eventually wrote back to say the refund due is nil.
    I assume because the first year 'showroom' tax is not recoverable, although they did not elaborate as to why.

I sold my old Golf to a dealer and went online to confirm when and where I sold the car. As part of this task, it states any road tax refund would be made back to the original payment method. I paid on my debit card and received refund for each complete month that would not be used.

Blog Entries
    I think the first year rate is a higher one off, non-refundable, payment made by the dealer or manufacturer depending who is retailing the car.

As you can see the first year is very different to following years. (plus £390 on top second year onwards if car was £40k plus new)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Yes despite telling the dealership I had disabled tax exemption and leaving the form they went ahead and taxed it, the refund came straight back to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think the first year rate is a higher one off, non-refundable, payment made by the dealer or manufacturer depending who is retailing the car.

As you can see the first year is very different to following years. (plus £390 on top second year onwards if car was £40k plus new)
    I think this was the issue.

First year was a four figure sum and must get a different treatment.

Posted the update as the replies above suggested a refund is due. But it is not.

So what does a subsequent buyer pay after, say 6 months?

Suspect it's the reduced rate, so it's really a second taxation (not second year) rate...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So what does a subsequent buyer pay after, say 6 months?

Suspect it's the reduced rate, so it's really a second taxation (not second year) rate...
    Sorry, am I reading this correctly?

With a new car you have a higher first year tax, plus the £40k tax, plus the actual tax. Then in year 2 you have this new tax of £180 plus then the actual tax?

Wow if so, completely out of touch with this.

Master
    I think this was the issue.

First year was a four figure sum and must get a different treatment.

Posted the update as the replies above suggested a refund is due. But it is not.
    I had 4 refunds of car tax on new cars I had sold within the year of their first registration between 2020-2022
    Automatically sent through from DVLA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I had 4 refunds of car tax on new cars I had sold within the year of their first registration between 2020-2022
    Automatically sent through from DVLA
    That is good to know. I wonder why my letter then said zero.

Out of interest, how much did you get? I assume the large chunk of 'showroom tax' is gone anyway?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had to hand my 7 month old Honda CRV back in June (new in November 2022) so I probably got four months worth of tax back .. First year tax £635 refund £51.66

Master
    That is good to know. I wonder why my letter then said zero.

Out of interest, how much did you get? I assume the large chunk of 'showroom tax' is gone anyway?
    It ranged with how many months I had had the car for.
    The years road tax was in the region of £500 so if I had the car for 4 mts I got 2/3's of the £500 back.
    The first registration thing you get nothing back on.

Master
    Thanks.
    Just looked at it and although this car from year 2 onwards had a fee it may have been zero in year one due to being a hybrid. Only thing I can think of that explains it and having googled it appears to be the case.