closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: High Pressure

High Pressure

Looked at my little mini weather station on my fence today and I have never seen the needle so far to the right. Apparently reaching 1050 mb is a 60 year event. Not too far from it if my equipment is correct. It has created the most beautiful crystal clear sky.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I took the Dog out over the fields this morning around 9am it was beautiful, the sky was so clear, it felt good to be alive.

The pressure over Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire this morning was 1042 or 1043mb. Yep, pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Looked at my little mini weather station on my fence today and I have never seen the needle so far to the right. Apparently reaching 1050 mb is a 60 year event. Not too far from it if my equipment is correct. It has created the most beautiful crystal clear sky.
    Another 6 mb is quite a lot TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Another 6 mb is quite a lot TBH.
    Sure, but I have no idea where my location stands in relation to the centre of the high pressure.

It may be that somewhere in the U.K. is already above the 1044 mb my mini weather station is reading.

Met Office analysis for midnight:

The pressure was just a little higher yesterday evening: http://brunnur.vedur.is/flugkort/PPVA89_EGRR_1800.png.

See:

...for more.

Sure, but I have no idea where my location stands in relation to the centre of the high pressure.

It may be that somewhere in the U.K. is already above the 1044 mb my mini weather station is reading.
    Can you give an indication of your location, please? It doesn't have to be precise, just enough to identify the nearest Met Office or airport weather station. Thanks...

For info: My own weather station recorded 1046 mb a couple of times yesterday. I check it occasionally against Kenley and other stations so it should be fairly accurate.

Update: We have a way to go before reaching the UK's all-time record high of 1053.6 hPa.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th February 2023 at 16:49.

High Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Can you give an indication of your location, please? It doesn't have to be precise, just enough to identify the nearest Met Office or airport weather station. Thanks...

For info: My own weather station recorded 1046 mb a couple of times yesterday. I check it occasionally against Kenley and other stations so it should be fairly accurate.

Update: We have a way to go before reaching the UK's all-time record high of 1053.6 hPa.
    Sure, Kingston on Thames area. Probably Heathrow about 10 miles or so is my nearest weather station.

The 1053 reading is pretty recent. It beat a 1050 reading plus change from 1957, or so Mr Google tells me

Sure, Kingston on Thames area. Probably Heathrow about 10 miles or so is my nearest weather station.

The 1053 reading is pretty recent. It beat a 1050 reading plus change from 1957, or so Mr Google tells me
    You're right, except that the 2020 reading may have been 1050 with 1053 dating from 1902...link...but you may have seen some other data.

Heathrow is indeed your nearest station and recorded 1046 hPa yesterday, Su 05 Feb:

Thanks, that has helped to calibrate my barometer. Seems like it is 1 mbar out, which is not bad for the 10 years I have owned it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In south Derbyshire it ain't rained here for nearly a month. I know because we repaired a roof leak on the 13th of Jan and we haven't been able to test it as of yet.

Craftsman
    Loving this High pressure. We’ve had several days of idyllic sunshine in Hampshire. I have a little sun trap at work and the air was so still that I actually had to remove my jacket and jumper as it got so warm. It felt like Spring had arrived early. Bit of a shock when I walked back into the shade …. BALTIC !!!

To any weather-nerds out there, WeatherCloud.net is a website loaded with data from thousands of household weather stations all over the world. It also allows you to 'favourite' stations which are near your places of interest.

Nerd-out as/if you feel the need....

https://weathercloud.net/en

Thanks, that has helped to calibrate my barometer. Seems like it is 1 mbar out, which is not bad for the 10 years I have owned it.
    Don't forget to compensate for any altitude difference at 11.11 hPa for every 100 m. (There is a 2 hPa difference between my location and the nearest official observation station.)

The first Met Office link gives Heathrow as being 25 m above sea level.

And, yes, I am one of those nerds referred to above...but only a bit of one.