closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wish my cost of living had increased by 10% !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The inflation figure for the UK in the UK is quoted as being 10.1% in September 2022 and is probably higher now. This is amongst the highest in Europe if you compare figures but countries use different methods to calculate the figure but inflation high worldwide.

I am soon to return to Spain where the figure is quoted at 6% which is so daft that there were demonstrations in Madrid demanding that the real figures are quoted and not some fictitious ones. The price increases in Spain were far more severe than over here and yet the lying buggers claim their inflation is just over half of ours. No wonder the Spanish trust their system even less than we do. The supermarket prices in Spanish supermarkets are now almost on par with the UK but then the Spanish system is as bent as a 9 bob note.
    Please don't feel you have to Mick, stay put fella, you are correct it's crap here, you'll be happier amongst your own kind.

I could provide you with specific examples to counter your argument re inflation, but let's be honest there'd be no point. Inwards and downwards.
    Last edited by Passenger; 7th February 2023 at 11:52.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely our cost of living increase will naturally go down now as the comparison is with a year ago, everything now costs much more but the government will now start taking credit for reducing it
    This is their hope, gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely our cost of living increase will naturally go down now as the comparison is with a year ago, everything now costs much more but the government will now start taking credit for reducing it
    They’ve been spouting on about how they are going to half inflation to 5% this year.

It’s as stupid as trying to convince everyone that they don’t need a ten percent pay rise as inflation will be lower next year and they’ll be no worse off.

Politicians really do think that the entire population are stupid.

Master
    Using Izal bog rolls would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Problem is I am with my kids on this one.

I am not afraid to substitute from branded to generic if the taste and quality is the same, and in some instances I find the generic nicer than the brand.

However, nothing comes close to Heinz tomato ketchup and my kids would not be fooled for a second.

We go through it at a rate of knots so I buy those 1.35 kg bottles from Poundland.

Last bottle I bought was £2.75 and now it is £4.

A 45% increase in about 2 months.
    Batts tomato ketchup from Lidl tastes great. 59 pence for a 560 grams.

McDonalds don't do Heinz now so no freebies there...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    McDonalds don't do Heinz now so no freebies there...
    I hadn’t noticed that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I hadn’t noticed that!
    KFC still do.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Aaaargh !! San-Izal, the absolute pits of bog roll.
    Newspaper was friendlier.
    I think I remember that Jean-Claude van Damme was the global ambassador for Izal, because he is tough, thick, and don't take no shit off anyone.

Master
    Nowt wrong with Lidl Newgate branded baked beans. Fraction of the cost of Heinz. Their Batt's Tomato Ketchup is ok too.

maseman

Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Nowt wrong with Lidl Newgate branded baked beans. Fraction of the cost of Heinz. Their Batt's Tomato Ketchup is ok too.

maseman
    With some chicken gravy granules and sriracha chilli sauce mixed in before heating they are lifted to new heights.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    With some chicken gravy granules and sriracha chilli sauce mixed in before heating they are lifted to new heights.
    I've been known to add a dash of Tabasco to beans though the gravy granules trick is a new one on me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Nowt wrong with Lidl Newgate branded baked beans.
    Presumably one of their old London prison brands?! Loving the Wormwood Scrubs instant coffee!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Politicians really do think that the entire population are stupid.
    Indeed, but they only actually need about 30% of us to be stupid to win a landslide.

TBH I don’t understand why the media haven’t tried harder to explain to those 30% that there’s a difference between reducing inflation and reducing prices.

Your cat food is very unlikely ever to be any cheaper than it is today, so let’s all rejoice with MickP and count our blessings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I cannot work out if you are a beans genius or some filthy animal. It’s so wrong it might just work.

Fromm EE my mobile price is changing.

My plans will increase by 14.4%, this is inline with CPI rate of inflation plus 3.9%.

I have sim only plans and buy my iPhone,s and some of the families from the SC, my present iPhone is a X and my wifes is a XR

Baked beans price check at Tesco.(no thanks required 😁) Price for individual cans.

Heinz 415g - £1.40
    Tesco 420g - 50p
    Stockwell brand 420g - 27p (no ring pull on the tin, though)

That's a fair premium for Heinz.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

My plans will increase by 14.4%, this is inline with CPI rate of inflation plus 3.9%.

I have sim only plans and buy my iPhone,s and some of the families from the SC, my present iPhone is a X and my wifes is a XR
    What people on contracts msg not realise is that the remainder of the phone purchase price has also gone up by that amount too.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've been known to add a dash of Tabasco to beans though the gravy granules trick is a new one on me.
    Lea & Pee, and a dash of Tabasco - just like with Bloody Maries.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

Give Smarty mobile a look. Can't go wrong

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    4 pint milk cartons appear to have increased by around 80%...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    4 pint milk cartons appear to have increased by around 80%...
    That's a shame, they won't fit in the fridge!

Master
    Thought I'd ask in this thread as its inflation related.

As an example, if inflation in October 2022 is 10% - it means prices have increased in general by 10% since October 2021. If inflation in October 2023 is 3% - it means prices have increased in general by 3% since October 2022.

So if a loaf of bread had been £1.50 in Oct 21, it would be £1.65 in Oct 22 and £1.70 in Oct 23.

Does this mean if your income doesn't rise in line with inflation year on year - you're basically taking a pay cut each time?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

As an example, if inflation in October 2022 is 10% - it means prices have increased in general by 10% since October 2021. If inflation in October 2023 is 3% - it means prices have increased in general by 3% since October 2022.

So if a loaf of bread had been £1.50 in Oct 21, it would be £1.65 in Oct 22 and £1.70 in Oct 23.

Does this mean if your income doesn't rise in line with inflation year on year - you're basically taking a pay cut each time?
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Baked beans price check at Tesco.(no thanks required ) Price for individual cans.

Heinz 415g - £1.40
    Tesco 420g - 50p
    Stockwell brand 420g - 27p (no ring pull on the tin, though)

That's a fair premium for Heinz.
    Pretty sure that's the same premium I have to pay over here if I want Heinz in Mercadona.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I buy the supermarket own brand imitiation. It has zero taste difference and is half the price.
    100% this, Morrisons own, I love lurpak and cant tell the difference at all.

Master
    Yes, exactly.
    Just wanted to clarify as a friend of mine (actually a previous line manager to me) has their pay increases and bonuses agreed 3 years ahead (common practice - was the same when i worked there), so in Q3 2021, it was agreed they would get 2.75% (i think) for the next 3 years (2021, 22 & 23), cant remember the bonus but it was profit and ebit related or something.

Company are saying it was all agreed and that's what you are getting. It looks like his only choice is to move jobs to a company that is paying market rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Pretty sure that's the same premium I have to pay over here if I want Heinz in Mercadona.
    The only Heinz product worth that level of premium is Heinz Tommy sauce. Nothing else comes close to it.

As for beans, can much tell the difference from one tin to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The only Heinz product worth that level of premium is Heinz Tommy sauce. Nothing else comes close to it.

As for beans, can much tell the difference from one tin to the next.
    Ah but they're the only beans in tomato sauce on the shelf in Mercadona and I can't be arsed patronising more than the one supermarket for the weekly shop, just for beans, c'mon...so it's a single tin a week treat for me.

Strangely enough their own brand, reduced sugar tomato sauce does the job for us, swings and roundabouts.

Just wanted to clarify as a friend of mine (actually a previous line manager to me) has their pay increases and bonuses agreed 3 years ahead (common practice - was the same when i worked there), so in Q3 2021, it was agreed they would get 2.75% (i think) for the next 3 years (2021, 22 & 23), cant remember the bonus but it was profit and ebit related or something.

Company are saying it was all agreed and that's what you are getting. It looks like his only choice is to move jobs to a company that is paying market rate.
    That wasn’t a bad deal at the time but no one predicted what has happened in the last year. H should accept that was the agreed deal and take it on the chin.

Had inflation dropped to zero or below, would he have been happy to have the pay deal negotiated downwards?

Master
    That wasn’t a bad deal at the time but no one predicted what has happened in the last year. H should accept that was the agreed deal and take it on the chin.

Had inflation dropped to zero or below, would he have been happy to have the pay deal negotiated downwards?
    Agree with what you say - just unfortunate that when he says he's tightening the belt, i can see exactly how based on this.

Craftsman

Yea, your money is buying less

Craftsman
    Silicone seems to have nearly doubled in price at b&q