closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish my cost of living had increased by 10% !!

I wish my cost of living had increased by 10% !!

10% sounds a bargain to what some of my costs seem to have gone up !!

Just a few examples.

• Like many households my energy monthly direct debit has increased 100% in the last 12 months.
    • Petrol all over the place in the last 12 months.
    • Natures Menu Original frozen dog food, gone from £4 to £6, 50% increase.
    • Four cans of Heinz Beanz, increased from £2 for four to £4, 100% increase.
    • Jar of Tesco pickled Gerkins increased from £1 to £2, 100% increase.
    • Lots of food items increased by 20% plus.
    • etc etc

10% sounds pretty good :)

Agree, 100%

Don’t get me started in Heinz Tomato ketchup.

My kids refuse the cheaper substitutions, and so I whinge when there is a massive unused dollop on their plate after they have finished dinner.

Petty, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Don’t get me started in Heinz Tomato ketchup.

My kids refuse the cheaper substitutions, and so I whinge when there is a massive unused dollop on their plate after they have finished dinner.

Petty, I know.
    Have you tried decanting from an alternative into the Heinz bottle? Might be worth a try to see if they can actually tell in use.

Yeah, makes me wonder has gone down over the same period. Some stuff must have to make that basket of goods only 10% because I’m with you, most things I’m paying for are more than 10%, and in some cases like energy and diesel they are up 150% and 50% or more.

I don’t think we’re getting g the whole truth here

And don’t get me on to lurpack. £5.50 the other day and it’s used consumed at an alarming rate in my house!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Have you tried decanting from an alternative into the Heinz bottle? Might be worth a try to see if they can actually tell in use.
    Good suggestion but my only thought is on Early Doors when Ken is funnelling the supermarket basics brandy into a Courvoisier bottle.

Luxury, shop bought condiments, spoonful of hot gravel and we were grateful for it, don't know they're born kids today.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    Good suggestion but my only thought is on Early Doors when Ken is funnelling the supermarket basics brandy into a Courvoisier bottle.
    Worked in a nightclub on Crete, this was their mo.

Back on topic, what's happening with UK energy prices in April...
    Last edited by Passenger; 6th February 2023 at 15:34.

Problem is I am with my kids on this one.

I am not afraid to substitute from branded to generic if the taste and quality is the same, and in some instances I find the generic nicer than the brand.

However, nothing comes close to Heinz tomato ketchup and my kids would not be fooled for a second.

We go through it at a rate of knots so I buy those 1.35 kg bottles from Poundland.

Last bottle I bought was £2.75 and now it is £4.

A 45% increase in about 2 months.

Amongst other things, I buy protein puddings and yoghurts in a bid to maintain my slender figure (yeah...right haha) and up to a fortnight back I was paying 79p each for them. They're now £ 1.29 each. Same product, same packaging. It's laughable really.

Problem is I am with my kids on this one.

I am not afraid to substitute from branded to generic if the taste and quality is the same, and in some instances I find the generic nicer than the brand.

However, nothing comes close to Heinz tomato ketchup and my kids would not be fooled for a second.

We go through it at a rate of knots so I buy those 1.35 kg bottles from Poundland.

Last bottle I bought was £2.75 and now it is £4.

A 45% increase in about 2 months.
    Not much in Poundland is £1 now!

Yeah, this. It worked with my kids on Cheerios. I fessed up years later and they're now known as Blaggios. They claim now that they knew all along but they bloody did not.

Dad - 1
    Kids - 0

Master
    ALDI have their protein yogurts at around 75p if you wanted to shop around !

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Amongst other things, I buy protein puddings and yoghurts in a bid to maintain my slender figure (yeah...right haha) and up to a fortnight back I was paying 79p each for them. They're now £ 1.29 each. Same product, same packaging. It's laughable really.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    We had this with the kids a while back and discovered through blind tasting that we all can generally tell the difference between tomato sauces, but all prefer the Branston tomato sauce. So you may want to give that a go.

Or just man up and go with brown sauce!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    And don’t get me on to lurpack. £5.50 the other day and it’s used consumed at an alarming rate in my house!
    I buy the supermarket own brand imitiation. It has zero taste difference and is half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Yeah, makes me wonder has gone down over the same period. Some stuff must have to make that basket of goods only 10% because I’m with you, most things I’m paying for are more than 10%, and in some cases like energy and diesel they are up 150% and 50% or more.

I don’t think we’re getting g the whole truth here
    Rolex

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Or just man up and go with brown sauce!
    I used to buy supermarket brown sauce but one of my kids only consumes HP - I have to say - it is nicer! Same with generic mustard - Colemans is nicer!

Master
    The Heinz Beans one blew my mind.

Luckily I think Branston ones are better, which are £3 for 4 in Sainsbury’s but still 90p a can in Tesco. Or 6 pack of them in Sainsbury’s for £3.70.

Be interesting to see some of the Costco prices, sensing requiring the ability to buy bulk to drive discount is going to play a greater role. Which is great if you have the space to store and can afford to suddenly move to spending for cases.

Tilda Basmati is £4.90 a kilo (£4 on deal), a 5kg bag is £3 a kilo. Although the pack is rather large!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    ALDI have their protein yogurts at around 75p if you wanted to shop around !
    I'll look into that, ta

I'm addicted to Tesco salt and vinegar rice cakes. They've gone from £1 to £1.25 recently. The accompanying humus hasn't fared much better. Used to be £1.35 (Co op) now £1.65.

It is what it is I guess

Craftsman
    The only thing which is a non negotiable in our house is Andrex.

Biscuits are always the one which make me laugh. 40p (supermarket) Vs £2. Now that is some serious brand value.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Rolex

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Yeah I guess that’s true. Less than 10% yoy. I presume retail prices included, not secondhand prices.

The Uncle Bens rice was £1 per packet (yes I know!) but is now £1.40 so I’ve switched to own brand where possible at 35p. Unfortunately the wife hasn’t so I try to keep her out of the supermarket as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    The only thing which is a non negotiable in our house is Andrex.

Biscuits are always the one which make me laugh. 40p (supermarket) Vs £2. Now that is some serious brand value.
    I grew up with that grease proof paper in the schools toilets. You know the one that smeared it everywhere instead of cleaning you up.

Any soft toilet paper will do now, although I do like the Japanese approach of giving your arse a mini bath after every turd.

I grew up with that grease proof paper in the schools toilets. You know the one that smeared it everywhere instead of cleaning you up.
    Aaaargh !! San-Izal, the absolute pits of bog roll.
    Newspaper was friendlier.

Apparently you were supposed to give it a good rub in your hands to soften it up first.

Not sure what you were supposed to do with the Izal though…

I’ll get me coat.

Master
    Blimey do you always pander to your kids? Tell them you can’t afford Heinz now, help them feel included in the cost of living crisis.

My worst offender is probably cat food, bearing in mind it's only about 4% meat - Whiskas 12 pack, used to be £3.50, then jumped to £4.50 recently and has just undergone a rebrand that has conveniently reduced pack size from 100g to 85g, as if my cat won't notice she's been short changed!

We switched to Felix which was £10.50 for 40 (from whiskas at £13.70). It’s now £13.50 but as you say, Whiskss is only 85g now. Our cat eats five or six packs a day then snacks on the odd mouse or rat between meals.

When we were kids my Dad used to feed the dog on almost free stuff that the butcher would only throw away, and since they threw away nothing, god only knows what it was.

The dog lapped it up, but knew nothing else.

Tell those cats there is a cost of living crisis, and if they don’t like mash up rats they can starve. They will soon come round to it.

Master
    I believe there's outright crookery in the presentation of inflation figures.

I watched a YouTube clip about how U.S. figures are calculated and it basically said that when taking a basket of costs, they can substitute in 'equivalent items' that can radically manipulate the overall result. How true this is, I don't know.

My personal inflation seems intuitively around 25%, for utilities, fuel, groceries, insurance, borrowing etc.

Being told it's 10% is treating us like mugs.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I believe there's outright crookery in the presentation of inflation figures.

I watched a YouTube clip about how U.S. figures are calculated and it basically said that when taking a basket of costs, they can substitute in 'equivalent items' that can radically manipulate the overall result. How true this is, I don't know.

My personal inflation seems intuitively around 25%, for utilities, fuel, groceries, insurance, borrowing etc.

Being told it's 10% is treating us like mugs.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app
    The inflation figure for the UK in the UK is quoted as being 10.1% in September 2022 and is probably higher now. This is amongst the highest in Europe if you compare figures but countries use different methods to calculate the figure but inflation high worldwide.

I am soon to return to Spain where the figure is quoted at 6% which is so daft that there were demonstrations in Madrid demanding that the real figures are quoted and not some fictitious ones. The price increases in Spain were far more severe than over here and yet the lying buggers claim their inflation is just over half of ours. No wonder the Spanish trust their system even less than we do. The supermarket prices in Spanish supermarkets are now almost on par with the UK but then the Spanish system is as bent as a 9 bob note.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    10% sounds a bargain to what some of my costs seem to have gone up !!

Just a few examples.

• Like many households my energy monthly direct debit has increased 100% in the last 12 months.
    • Petrol all over the place in the last 12 months.
    • Natures Menu Original frozen dog food, gone from £4 to £6, 50% increase.
    • Four cans of Heinz Beanz, increased from £2 for four to £4, 100% increase.
    • Jar of Tesco pickled Gerkins increased from £1 to £2, 100% increase.
    • Lots of food items increased by 20% plus.
    • etc etc

10% sounds pretty good :)
    Buy Branstons beans half the price and better.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Buy Branstons beans half the price and better.
    Tried them when they first came out but not for me so I now eat less baked beans but I don't pass wind as much so a little win :)

Aldi baked beans FTW!

My mortgage is up ~30% as from this month, I can't recoup much of that from own brand supermarket shopping as much of what I buy are already the cheaper brand alternatives. That or whatever Tesco are offering at a discount to Clubcard holders.

I don't miss any of the branded products*, though there are still one or two items such as jams and spreads I'll pay the extra for.

*Wilkin & Sons Ketchup is an exception, Heinz has got nothing on that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    My mortgage is up ~30% as from this month, I can't recoup much of that from own brand supermarket shopping as much of what I buy are already the cheaper brand alternatives. That or whatever Tesco are offering at a discount to Clubcard holders.

I don't miss any of the branded products*, though there are still one or two items such as jams and spreads I'll pay the extra for.

*Wilkin & Sons Ketchup is an exception, Heinz has got nothing on that!
    Intrigued, the only time I ventured from Heinz was for the 'Sauce Co' ketchup, was like tomato puree vs a ketchup, want a more upmarket one for when I'm cooking things better than Heinz.

It seems like every evening I come in from work to be regaled by my wife that ‘this packet of biscuits has gone up by 50p etc etc etc. Drives my crazy, but also makes me feel old. I remember my Nan getting my grandad to drive her halfway across London to save 3p on a ‘collie’ or 2p on a savoy cabbage. Now I know what the poor bugger had to put up with! - he just sat in his chair, reading The Sun whilst smoking roll-ups and said ‘yes dear’ at random moments!

Master
    Poverty purifies the soul, so make the most of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Poverty purifies the soul, so make the most of the experience.
    This is one of the top ten TZ quotes for me.

You never disappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Intrigued, the only time I ventured from Heinz was for the 'Sauce Co' ketchup, was like tomato puree vs a ketchup, want a more upmarket one for when I'm cooking things better than Heinz.
    I've never used it to cook with though it's got to be worth a shot, it's a right bugger trying to get it all out from the glass bottle, though.

I wait for weekly bulk sales if they happen

12 pack of Heinz beans for $8.99 Canadian

Bulk ground beef

Etc.

Sometimes things I need are not on sale ever and I bite the bullet. Just bought 3 bone in chicken breasts which haven't been on sale for the last year at $30.00 Little under 2 pounds each and made into 3 meals

Household utilities. You pay it. Not like you have a choice or pay to outfit your house to live off the grid

I look at prices and know what I paid a month ago. Swear and buy it

On the topic of Heinz ketchup. When they stopped producing in Canada. Everyone? ran to support a Canadian brand French's, but I found it a bit sweet and stuck with Heinz (which did end up coming back)

A bottle of ketchup (never Heinz) will last me about 2 yrs, so that ain’t gonna break the bank. If kids won’t use anything other than Heinz - simply stop buying ketchup! (Probably a good idea even without rising prices). It’s simply habit now.

As mentioned - Lurpak went up to around £6 for the 500g tub, and I started buying Grahams instead (around £3) - still buy either that or Aldi ‘Nordpak” (or whatever it’s called) - can’t discern any difference.

Jacobs Cream Crackers (£1.50) Asda crackers £0.40.
    Stopped buying Weetabix, Asda are as good, much cheaper.

All the branded foods have rocketed in price, and as mentioned - certainly for lower paid, forms a much higher percentage of total outgoings and could figure as a 30% increase in cost of living unless they go for unbranded items (which they could well have been using prior to this)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    My worst offender is probably cat food, bearing in mind it's only about 4% meat - Whiskas 12 pack, used to be £3.50, then jumped to £4.50 recently and has just undergone a rebrand that has conveniently reduced pack size from 100g to 85g, as if my cat won't notice she's been short changed!
    We switched to Aldi cat food (both wet and biscuits) cats actually prefer it to both Purina and Whiskers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We switched to Felix which was £10.50 for 40 (from whiskas at £13.70). It’s now £13.50 but as you say, Whiskss is only 85g now. Our cat eats five or six packs a day then snacks on the odd mouse or rat between meals.
    5-6 per day? You have a tiger?

Need to be careful with cheap cat food. Cereal/soya fillers in cheap foods are basically wasted as cats can't derive any nutrition from it. You may find that the cat will eat less if you up the meat content of the cat food. Ours eats one 200g tin of Animonda Carny per day but used to be still hungry on 3 sachets of Whiskas, so it pays for itself.

Any soft toilet paper will do now, although I do like the Japanese approach of giving your arse a mini bath after every turd.
    Im not sure I could live without a ‘bum gun’ any more.

TMI

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This is one of the top ten TZ quotes for me.

You never disappoint.
    Happy people are those who see goodness in everything.

Surely our cost of living increase will naturally go down now as the comparison is with a year ago, everything now costs much more but the government will now start taking credit for reducing it