closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any recommendations for home networking supplier

Master

Any recommendations for home networking supplier

I’m well through a new build and we’ve spec’d a fair few CAT6 points throughout.

So I’m now presented with a data cabinet and 26no cables in a big loop inside (installed by the spark)

I quite fancy tacking the finishing myself via a patch panel and switch, so I’m hoping the hive of knowledge will be able to link up a few recommended online suppliers? I’m Ok with computers / tech in general but don’t have a network at home/work currently

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I’m well through a new build and we’ve spec’d a fair few CAT6 points throughout.

So I’m now presented with a data cabinet and 26no cables in a big loop inside (installed by the spark)

I quite fancy tacking the finishing myself via a patch panel and switch, so I’m hoping the hive of knowledge will be able to link up a few recommended online suppliers? I’m Ok with computers / tech in general but don’t have a network at home/work currently
    You can pick up the connectivity from almost any electrical wholesaler (Screwfix etc.), but have a look at cable monkey, they have some fairly inexpensive products (they do a 24-way Cat 6 panel for around £35 compared to screwfix at £58). Can also get even cheaper from Amazon.

Pretty much anything should do the job. I'd also get a continuity tester:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-ne...e-tester/93219

Won't measure performance, but it'll make sure you've punched everything down in the right order!

D-Link & Netgear generally do quite well in the domestic market, spec will mostly depend on whether you need any PoE & no. of ports. Available on amazon.

CAT6 can be the devil himself to terminate into a patch panel. Don't ask me how I know...
    Just leave yourself plenty of time and ample space to work in. And buy a decent crimper.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

If you go with a CAT6 RJ45 coupler like this and coupler faceplates :-

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/167465.html

Then you'll find one of these a godsend:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ideal-rj4...-5-140mm/8518x

If you are going for wi-fi as well I'd recommend Aruba InstantON access-points.
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 5th February 2023 at 20:24.

Master
    What do you need to know?

Is there any 10Gbs requirements?

Have you installed cat6 or 6a?

One thing I’d say off the bat is if you haven’t & you still can get a couple of drops put into the loft space & a couple of mains sockets. Very helpful for wireless access points.

For the frame end I’d go with keystone jacks & patch panels rather that traditional punch down patch panels, one they are easier to work on / terminate, two they are more flexible need to distribute coax, analog phones, cctv, etc, then you just change the type of keystone module to suit.

Unless going 10Gbs a simple continuity tester should suffice, if you need to test speeds you can do this with two wired computers, you can cover 10Gbs testing this way to just more expensive if you don’t already have the network cards.

What are you networking requirements are you looking at a software defined network like tp-link Omada or Ubiquiti Unifi platforms?
    This is where your fw/router, switches, accesspoints are all managed through the same interface making fw rule, vlans guest networks, IoT networks all relatively easy.

Or is this a more basic requirement?

Any cctv requirements?

The questions can go on & on.

Edit:
    I forgot Kenable are a good quality supplier for all things network cabling related.
    https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?...=Keystone+cat6
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 6th February 2023 at 10:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What do you need to know?

Is there any 10Gbs requirements?

Have you installed cat6 or 6a?

One thing I’d say off the bat is if you haven’t & you still can get a couple of drops put into the loft space & a couple of mains sockets. Very helpful for wireless access points.

For the frame end I’d go with keystone jacks & patch panels rather that traditional punch down patch panels, one they are easier to work on / terminate, two they are more flexible need to distribute coax, analog phones, cctv, etc, then you just change the type of keystone module to suit.

Unless going 10Gbs a simple continuity tester should suffice, if you need to test speeds you can do this with two wired computers, you can cover 10Gbs testing this way to just more expensive if you don’t already have the network cards.

What are you networking requirements are you looking at a software defined network like tp-link Omada or Ubiquiti Unifi platforms?
    This is where your fw/router, switches, accesspoints are all managed through the same interface making fw rule, vlans guest networks, IoT networks all relatively easy.

Or is this a more basic requirement?

Any cctv requirements?

The questions can go on & on

Edit:
    I forgot Kenable are a good quality supplier for all things network cabling related.
    https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/search?...=Keystone+cat6
    Thanks everyone for the information, much appreciated, especially the links

It's a simple enough home set up, there has been PoE cables ran for cameras if we decide to fit them, the rest is just Cat6, which will be enough for the fibre speed we can get

I hadn't thought of leaving runs in the loft, so I'll speak to the guys about that, though the house isn't huge so I suspect we might be OK as far as Wifi coverage goes

I'm thinking a managed system and Ubiquiti seem to be well thought of, so will look at those

Master
    Thanks everyone for the information, much appreciated, especially the links

It's a simple enough home set up, there has been PoE cables ran for cameras if we decide to fit them, the rest is just Cat6, which will be enough for the fibre speed we can get

I hadn't thought of leaving runs in the loft, so I'll speak to the guys about that, though the house isn't huge so I suspect we might be OK as far as Wifi coverage goes

I'm thinking a managed system and Ubiquiti seem to be well thought of, so will look at those

A couple of points:
    With modern foil backed plaster board it can have a drastic effect on wireless transmission/penetration, the greater the wireless frq the greater the impacts, this is one of the reasons that many IoT devices still use the 2.4GHz not the faster 5 & now 6GHz ranges.

Putting in a extra couple of drops to the loft now is a cheap hedge bet to give a bit of flexibility should you find poor wifi performance once in.

If you have access to site & power I can suggest a couple of tests to help gauge the situation.

Unifi / TP-Link Omada?
    I’m not sure if unifi are still having supply issues or not but late last year lots of products were thin on the ground.
    Omada is very much a comparable network product but often comes in 20-30% cheaper, there are/were a couple of discrepancies such as not having a cctv product line so would have to check out your needs to be 100% confident in recommending it, that said it works for many home users & the saving is over unifi is worthwhile.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    A couple of points:
    With modern foil backed plaster board it can have a drastic effect on wireless transmission/penetration, the greater the wireless frq the greater the impacts, this is one of the reasons that many IoT devices still use the 2.4GHz not the faster 5 & now 6GHz ranges.

Putting in a extra couple of drops to the loft now is a cheap hedge bet to give a bit of flexibility should you find poor wifi performance once in.

If you have access to site & power I can suggest a couple of tests to help gauge the situation.

Unifi / TP-Link Omada?
    I’m not sure if unifi are still having supply issues or not but late last year lots of products were thin on the ground.
    Omada is very much a comparable network product but often comes in 20-30% cheaper, there are/were a couple of discrepancies such as not having a cctv product line so would have to check out your needs to be 100% confident in recommending it, that said it works for many home users & the saving is over unifi is worthwhile.
    Very useful thanks

Don't have power yet to test anything, but that's imminent

Master
    Very useful thanks

Don't have power yet to test anything, but that's imminent

To test you’ll need a old router hub box, laptop with ethernet & a another laptop or tablet/phone.

Download a program called iperf3 to the laptops & tablet/phone it allows you to do local network speed tests without the use of the internet.

Power up the router, connect the laptop via ethernet, start iperf3 in server mode, confirm the laptop IP address, start iperf3 on the other device, use the laptops ip as the server address & run a 5 minuet test around 2m from the router in the same room.

Re test in adjacent rooms & in a room directly above the router. This will give you a real world indication of how speeds will drop off.

Obviously you could also try it from the loft, if you do try and get the router central in the floor plan & 1-2m above the ceiling floor, antennas pointing downwards.

I cover a 1920’s 3 bed detached with a open plan gf with single story extension & a number of steels in the gf quite comfortably with a single loft mounted tp-link eap225 ap.

When I tested via iperf3 I was seeing wifi speeds up to 600Mbs on the 1st floor & 500Mbs on the gf both up & down

Plenty of you youtube vids on iperf3 if you need to walk through the process. I’d also do a test run in the current home before trying on site.

Also if your up to speed on unifi here’s a couple of vids on Omada they also have some good unifi vids on these channels.
    https://youtu.be/UBtPme0RQ2U
    https://youtu.be/tjtxDcKCZ18

It’s also worth saying that depending on your network requirements with Omada you may not need the fw/router which is another £60-70 saving.

Master
    ^^ thanks mate, I’ll need electricity connected before powering up an old router, but at least I know what to do now! Thanks for the detailed reply

Master
    No worries any more questions give me a shout