closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Craftsman

This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Having previously purchased 3 Timefactors Smiths watches I was aware of the challenges and practiced diligently.
    All necessary card details were cached and my calesthetic training regime means my fingers were like lightening bolts.
    All was going well. I was on the ball when the store became live and threw a gilt PRS25 into my basket. Having previously logged on, my shipping details were ready and waiting for payment.
    And that’s were I fell flat. Bl@@dy Barclaycard insisted I authenticate via the phone app, but I was ready for that, and already logged in.
    Back to the store at 14.01:15 and the watches were sold out.

What’s the point? Eddie, you should change this for Smiths collectors. It’s madness as it is.

Cheers
    Steve

Craftsman
    Yep, the whole farce when I was buying my polar dreadnought has stopped me even attempting to buy another.

Would it be easier to use a third party like Amazon to hold the stock and take care of payment and distribution?

Amazon take a 30% cut and then Eddie is left to deal with them, that doesn't sound too appealing.

You win some - you lose some,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This discussion comes and goes after every coveted drop. Just try to be better prepared next time.

There's no point in asking Eddie to change the system because this is current system is what works for him.

Craftsman
    I was successful two times from two attempts last year but missed out today, I'll give it another go next time around.

Lost interest now despite landing a couple successfully in the past. Too much faff.

I don't worry about Rolex or Smiths anymore and life is much more relaxing.

Apprentice
    Last year I bought four watches from TF, great.
    This year during the three openings unsuccesfull for the PRS-25 Everest, bummer.
    I think I will leave it this way, too bad.

Blog Entries
    A famous poet once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    Can't see the attraction of these watches and certainly wouldn't be champing at the bit to buy one.

This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Can't see the attraction of these watches and certainly wouldn't be champing at the bit to buy one.
    Likewise, I’d be mad if I found one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    A famous poet once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’.
    But if you try sometime, you'll find
    You get what you need

I understand both sides of the coin, its a business model that’s working for Eddie and his end goal is to make it a successful business. Why would he change it? An adjustment to the logistics side of his company would probably in his eyes be more stress than it’s worth

However it is frustrating from a consumer point of view, especially from one who really enjoys Timefactors Smiths pieces. I’ve definitely paid over their retail price for second hand after failing to nab one as the sale goes live and then seeing an elusive model online somewhere, that’s money that could have ended up in Eddies pocket

Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!
    100% agree with this statement. It’s good Eddie is sticking to his guns and using a business model that suits him and what he wants to achieve. If people like me are put off the process it won’t hurt him as other, more dedicated collectors will step in and take our place. It’s up to us to decide if we want to play the modern watch buyers game, be it Timefactors, Rolex or some other brand. There is always something else to spend our money on if we choose.

Regrettably, the popularity of the offerings has created this situation. Shopify only allows 7 days to take payment before the authority to take payment expires. I shouldn't take payment before the goods ship which is why the website is configured to close once 200 orders are received, which is the maximum we can ship in 7 days. These 7 days involve an 80 hour week, which at my age is somewhat challenging.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    So if the limiting factor is Shopify, what other payment mechanisms are available that provide a longer window for shipment ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Regrettably, the popularity of the offerings has created this situation. Shopify only allows 7 days to take payment before the authority to take payment expires. I shouldn't take payment before the goods ship which is why the website is configured to close once 200 orders are received, which is the maximum we can ship in 7 days. These 7 days involve an 80 hour week, which at my age is somewhat challenging.

Eddie
    It certainly is Eddie, don't get 'killed' by your own success....

At you age you should be sitting in your arm chair smoking a pipe pondering about where your life went so quick.

I'll get me coat.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    So if the limiting factor is Shopify, what other payment mechanisms are available that provide a longer window for shipment ?
    That will just kick the can further down. He’ll then have 400 orders to fulfil, 2 80hours weeks to do it so exactly the same stress and there will be as many disgruntled would-be customers as now because the shop would open every fortnight, experience the same rush…

The only thing that could alleviate the issue is to step up the expedition side of the business, and it comes with many constraints that Eddie has decided he dod not want.

Maybe a team of TZ members could volunteer to assist for a new launch if Eddie could have the space to accommodate them for the day, and multiply the amount that can be expedited in a week, thus relieving the pressure to allow other stuff to sell as well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    More Eddie's ability to ship 200 orders in 7 days. Eddie could increase the order limited on Shopify, but as said he's already flat out.

There are other ways it could be solved which I'm sure Eddie has contemplated over the years such as;

Outsourcing handling and shipping
    Increasing prices to lessen demand
    Pre-packing all watches so all that's required is to print and stick a shipping label on order

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was disappointed when I couldn't buy a Smiths Commander but I put a Wtb and was able to purchase it in a short period. I would try this Avenue.

Worth noting that's not a solution for people who only lurk this forum/are new to it with the post count (I understand why it's in place and agree with the idea - just pointing it out)

Eddie
    Is there no way of outsourcing the fulfillment element, Eddie? Potentially higher revenues, life changing benefits for you and happier customers?

Tony

I'm guessing the fulfilment costs might be surprisingly high, and it is just a guess mind.

We have been round this buoy a few times, and the simple fact is that Eddie is reluctant to upsize beyond this model.
    I have also noticed that the rate of proposed models seems to have dropped considerably recently, so I think Eddie is also slowing his creative output in order not to run ahead of the fulfillment constraints.
    It does seem a case of the tail wagging the dog, but Eddie has been totally honest with us all about his views, so we all know where we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I'm guessing the fulfilment costs might be surprisingly high, and it is just a guess mind.
    Yes, they probably are and I would also be guessing regarding how much higher. But I wonder if rounding up prices, like an Everest from £345 to £400 for example would cover it?
    I'd have thought virtually all tz members who want one could manage that difference and hopefully most wouldn't begrudge it either. It would cut into scalpers margins also, thereby increasing availability for enthusiasts further again.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Is there no way of outsourcing the fulfillment element, Eddie? Potentially higher revenues, life changing benefits for you and happier customers?

Tony
    If I remember correctly the problem was the insertion of the warantee card to match each watch and of course the checking of the watch before posting.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    If I remember correctly the problem was the insertion of the warantee card to match each watch and of course the checking of the watch before posting.
    Not beyond a decent fulfilment company you´d like to think though no idea how much ´checking´ might be involved per unit, time involved...Rugger might or might not be approximately on the money...
    Last edited by Passenger; 7th February 2023 at 15:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Not beyond a decent fulfilment company you´d like to think though no idea how much ´checking´ might be involved per unit, time involved...Rugger might or might not be approximately on the money...
    I guess it all comes down to whether Eddie wants to grow the operation or whether he's happy to let Timefactors continue at a the size it's at - I'm not sure whether this is a profit making exercise or a love letter to a hobby that happens to also make money, but if it's the latter (which I think it may be), that would explain a reluctancy to start involving employees/outsourcing distribution

[QUOTE=ToeBugShuffle;6156053]I guess it all comes down to whether Eddie wants to grow the operation or whether he's happy to let Timefactors continue at a the size it's at - I'm not sure whether this is a profit making exercise or a love letter to a hobby that happens to also make money, but if it's the latter (which I think it may be), that would explain a reluctancy to start involving employees/outsourcing distribution[/QUOTE

Pretty much.

SydR
    I guess it all comes down to being prepared.

I tried for the first time today and was able to successfully place an order for the SPEEDBIRD III PRS-22.

Having everything auto populate and being prepared for the card check seems to be key.

missed the gilt one as i was late to log in on time !

Guilt dial lasted under a minute. Congratulations to those who were prepared and scored.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Having previously purchased 3 Timefactors Smiths watches I was aware of the challenges and practiced diligently.
    All necessary card details were cached and my calesthetic training regime means my fingers were like lightening bolts.
    All was going well. I was on the ball when the store became live and threw a gilt PRS25 into my basket. Having previously logged on, my shipping details were ready and waiting for payment.
    And that’s were I fell flat. Bl@@dy Barclaycard insisted I authenticate via the phone app, but I was ready for that, and already logged in.
    Back to the store at 14.01:15 and the watches were sold out.

What’s the point? Eddie, you should change this for Smiths collectors. It’s madness as it is.

Cheers
    Steve
    Just had a similar scenario myself, thought I’d managed to get a Smiths Everest ‘Expedition’, had to authenticate on banking app and after doing that the watch was sold out and the store now closed.

Rather infuriating that the watch can be in basket and at checkout stage and unable to complete transaction due to personally having extra security on transactions for stores that I haven’t previously used.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

This is ridiculous

Thought I’d try one more time. All fields were automatically filled, but received the ‘sold out’ message within 45 seconds of the shop opening. I’ll respond with more thoughts once I’ve calmed down.

Well done to everyone who managed to get one but I’m not going to play this silly game any more. There are enough good watches around elsewhere at reasonable prices.

I’m so p!ssed off at the moment I’ll may sell my current 3 Timefactors watches. PM me if interested: brand new and stickered white PRS25, a barely worn jubilee, and a barely worn Commander. All under guarantee, and with box and papers. I’ll put the cash towards something else.

Apprentice
    Again, for the fourth time in a row, I was not fast enough.

Thought I’d try one more time. All fields were automatically filled, but received the ‘sold out’ message within 45 seconds of the shop opening. I’ll respond with more thoughts once I’ve calmed down.

Well done to everyone who managed to get one but I’m not going to play this silly game any more. There are enough good watches around elsewhere at reasonable prices.

I’m so p!ssed off at the moment I’ll may sell my current 3 Timefactors watches. PM me if interested: brand new and stickered white PRS25, a barely worn jubilee, and a barely worn Commander. All under guarantee, and with box and papers. I’ll put the cash towards something else.
    As a stealth sales post - not very stealthy...........................

Master
    Blog Entries
    Didn't bother this time having missed out twice. Massive fan of the watches but there are other micro brands out there doing amazing stuff too.

Why are you desperate to buy watches you are barely going to wear?
    And here lies part of the problem for those who missed out - speculators and investors.

Are people using the 'early access' code?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    As a stealth sales post - not very stealthy...........................
    Yes, I typed that in frustration and shouldn’t have. They’re not for sale because I like them very much. This thread is to focus on the difficulty of buying from the store.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Why are you desperate to buy watches you are barely going to wear?
    And here lies part of the problem for those who missed out - speculators and investors.
    No desperation involved, just frustration at missing out. I have a reasonable collection and all are worn in an unplanned rotation. Possibly like you, all my watches are well looked after, and remain in barely worn, excellent condition.

Unfortunately I’m not a speculator and have a growing collection which common sense reminds me should be culled occasionally because wrist time becomes limited after the initial week or so following purchase.

Whilst speculators are a problem, I‘m not convinced they are the problem. Eddie sells 200 watches each fortnight and relatively very few from this quantity appear on eBay, Chrono, SC etc. Eddie and his colleagues have expressed here some of the measures they’re taking to spot and stop repeating sales. The problem is high demand and a frustrating sales process.

Blog Entries
    Barely worn, no, can’t say I recognize that.

What’s the point?

Although I fully understand there will be frustration because of the puchasing system but at the moment there isn't a solution that we can find.

Certain models are popular and sell out quickly, this is the case for a wide range of products also on the market, including models from other watch brands.

Personally I have missed out on tickets for several music gigs recently, I was there on the dot, pressing refresh and non were available within seconds. Tickets then appeared all over the internet and highly inflated prices almost instantly, it's highly frustrating but that's just how it is.

We've several measures to try and stop people buying watches to flip and 3rd party fulfillment would add a significant amount on to the purchase price (as would adding staff). Pre-orders have the potential to cause admin nightmares if there are issues with supply/stock.

It's a small operation, working long hours with other considerations outside of work but we are looking on ways to improve matters.

The main point to this rant is that nothing is done intentionally to anger people.
    Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Decent of you to say Brammer, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post
    Although I fully understand there will be frustration because of the puchasing system but at the moment there isn't a solution that we can find.

Certain models are popular and sell out quickly, this is the case for a wide range of products also on the market, including models from other watch brands.

Personally I have missed out on tickets for several music gigs recently, I was there on the dot, pressing refresh and non were available within seconds. Tickets then appeared all over the internet and highly inflated prices almost instantly, it's highly frustrating but that's just how it is.

We've several measures to try and stop people buying watches to flip and 3rd party fulfillment would add a significant amount on to the purchase price (as would adding staff). Pre-orders have the potential to cause admin nightmares if there are issues with supply/stock.

It's a small operation, working long hours with other considerations outside of work but we are looking on ways to improve matters.

The main point to this rant is that nothing is done intentionally to anger people.

Imagine how much worse it would be without Gandalf working his wizardry.

Viva Timefactors
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Eddie
    Not quite true, Shopify default is set to collect payment automatically after sale last I looked, it’s Eddie that’s changed this to shipping, which is a little outdated now, especially with pre-order being a popular marketing tool. I’m guessing but 200 orders in seven days is for new launches? Doesn’t look like enough stock for 30 orders a day all year? So it’s about managing the flow, I would look at other methods, increase the standard delivery to 3 weeks, and maybe release in batches, with due in dates (a ’back in stock’ app or similar is also essential on so many levels). Or better still, sell new items on pre-order, a month ahead, gives you a month to pack at your own pace… Spend time being upfront with the customer on timing, keep them in the loop, with automated progress emails (omnisend), and use the time lag for PR - artisan, microbrand, watch brand takes time to pack perfectly. Sadly having a store closed as such is long term suicidal? Turns away new customers, new interest… just my 2 pence :)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo View Post
    Not quite true, Shopify default is set to collect payment automatically after sale last I looked, it’s Eddie that’s changed this to shipping, which is a little outdated now, especially with pre-order being a popular marketing tool. I’m guessing but 200 orders in seven days is for new launches? Doesn’t look like enough stock for 30 orders a day all year? So it’s about managing the flow, I would look at other methods, increase the standard delivery to 3 weeks, and maybe release in batches, with due in dates (a ’back in stock’ app or similar is also essential on so many levels). Or better still, sell new items on pre-order, a month ahead, gives you a month to pack at your own pace… Spend time being upfront with the customer on timing, keep them in the loop, with automated progress emails (omnisend), and use the time lag for PR - artisan, microbrand, watch brand takes time to pack perfectly. Sadly having a store closed as such is long term suicidal? Turns away new customers, new interest… just my 2 pence :)
    This is not what I'm finding. 78% of orders were from new customers last time we opened. I can see how many people are on site each time we open and that number is growing. The limiting factor is how many shipments we can get out of the door, each time we open it's an 80 hour week to clear the orders before the authority to take payment expires. I have plenty of stock for 30 orders a day with another 7 shipments of watches due in the next 6 months and more in the pipeline.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".