closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Hybrid View

Craftsman

This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Having previously purchased 3 Timefactors Smiths watches I was aware of the challenges and practiced diligently.
    All necessary card details were cached and my calesthetic training regime means my fingers were like lightening bolts.
    All was going well. I was on the ball when the store became live and threw a gilt PRS25 into my basket. Having previously logged on, my shipping details were ready and waiting for payment.
    And that’s were I fell flat. Bl@@dy Barclaycard insisted I authenticate via the phone app, but I was ready for that, and already logged in.
    Back to the store at 14.01:15 and the watches were sold out.

What’s the point? Eddie, you should change this for Smiths collectors. It’s madness as it is.

Cheers
    Steve

Craftsman
    Yep, the whole farce when I was buying my polar dreadnought has stopped me even attempting to buy another.

Would it be easier to use a third party like Amazon to hold the stock and take care of payment and distribution?

Amazon take a 30% cut and then Eddie is left to deal with them, that doesn't sound too appealing.

You win some - you lose some,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This discussion comes and goes after every coveted drop. Just try to be better prepared next time.

There's no point in asking Eddie to change the system because this is current system is what works for him.

Craftsman
    I was successful two times from two attempts last year but missed out today, I'll give it another go next time around.

Lost interest now despite landing a couple successfully in the past. Too much faff.

I don't worry about Rolex or Smiths anymore and life is much more relaxing.

Blog Entries
    A famous poet once said ‘you can’t always get what you want’.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    But if you try sometime, you'll find
    You get what you need

Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Sadly, I'm with OP.
    I have 3 TF pieces and given that I will not be able to build the collection I'd like to, may end up letting these go.

I will not debate / challenge / condemn Eddie's business model / m.o.
    It's his company and he can do as he pleases.
    It's up to us whether we want to play along.

And @petay993 summed it up pretty well for me (on both watch makers).
    First World problems really - those should not steal our joy!
    100% agree with this statement. It’s good Eddie is sticking to his guns and using a business model that suits him and what he wants to achieve. If people like me are put off the process it won’t hurt him as other, more dedicated collectors will step in and take our place. It’s up to us to decide if we want to play the modern watch buyers game, be it Timefactors, Rolex or some other brand. There is always something else to spend our money on if we choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Jagger.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Jagger.
    That’s the guy!

Journeyman
    Have a few questions about buying and hoping the collective can help (or even Eddie? I can see you reply from time to time on this part of the forum).

I've been lucky in the past and have snagged the PRS-25 a few years ago. I have been meaning to get a Jubilee bracelet for it, does anyone know if they are available during the buying window (has anyone had any success recently).

Also more generally, I understand that there are 200 orders that can be made, sometimes Eddie let's it be known how many of the popular models are available? If there are no limits to the popular stuff then it's likely that most people will try and get that and limit the opportunity for the other watches....I'm hoping to buy a baby Dreadnought too, any idea on my chances :)

Apprentice
    Last year I bought four watches from TF, great.
    This year during the three openings unsuccesfull for the PRS-25 Everest, bummer.
    I think I will leave it this way, too bad.

Journeyman
    Can't see the attraction of these watches and certainly wouldn't be champing at the bit to buy one.

This method of buying Timefactors Smiths watches is so frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    Can't see the attraction of these watches and certainly wouldn't be champing at the bit to buy one.
    Likewise, I’d be mad if I found one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    "What a fool I am," he said. "Here I am wearing myself out to get a bunch of sour grapes.”

Craftsman
    Tried to buy a jubilee bracelet today but it didn’t go well as the dog knocked my glasses off and in the 2 seconds it took to put them back on they’d sold out and the item was removed from my basket. It was my fault for trying again

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Tried to buy a jubilee bracelet today but it didn’t go well as the dog knocked my glasses off and in the 2 seconds it took to put them back on they’d sold out and the item was removed from my basket. It was my fault for trying again
    There were 20 in stock and they sold out in one minute.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    There were 20 in stock and they sold out in one minute.

Eddie
    I think it was less than a minute! I was definitely on the page at 9:00 my time and by the time I refreshed it said sold out. I should've moved faster! Any more incoming?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I understand both sides of the coin, its a business model that’s working for Eddie and his end goal is to make it a successful business. Why would he change it? An adjustment to the logistics side of his company would probably in his eyes be more stress than it’s worth

However it is frustrating from a consumer point of view, especially from one who really enjoys Timefactors Smiths pieces. I’ve definitely paid over their retail price for second hand after failing to nab one as the sale goes live and then seeing an elusive model online somewhere, that’s money that could have ended up in Eddies pocket

Worth noting that's not a solution for people who only lurk this forum/are new to it with the post count (I understand why it's in place and agree with the idea - just pointing it out)

I'm guessing the fulfilment costs might be surprisingly high, and it is just a guess mind.

We have been round this buoy a few times, and the simple fact is that Eddie is reluctant to upsize beyond this model.
    I have also noticed that the rate of proposed models seems to have dropped considerably recently, so I think Eddie is also slowing his creative output in order not to run ahead of the fulfillment constraints.
    It does seem a case of the tail wagging the dog, but Eddie has been totally honest with us all about his views, so we all know where we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I'm guessing the fulfilment costs might be surprisingly high, and it is just a guess mind.
    Yes, they probably are and I would also be guessing regarding how much higher. But I wonder if rounding up prices, like an Everest from £345 to £400 for example would cover it?
    I'd have thought virtually all tz members who want one could manage that difference and hopefully most wouldn't begrudge it either. It would cut into scalpers margins also, thereby increasing availability for enthusiasts further again.

Craftsman
    I added to basket and then sat there in a "less than a minute scrolling "queue for 8mins, at which point I knew I was too late.
    Never mind, great that Eddie is a huge success and has plenty more delights in the pipeline.

I wonder whether occasionally opening at a time only advertised to TZ members via a non-public area of the forum might be an idea, like those concert pre-sale opportunities that artists send out to their fanbase. I think that SC is visible to those with 50+ posts, but not the general public. Just a thought.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I wonder whether occasionally opening at a time only advertised to TZ members via a non-public area of the forum might be an idea, like those concert pre-sale opportunities that artists send out to their fanbase. I think that SC is visible to those with 50+ posts, but not the general public. Just a thought.
    I agree. Bury it in The Pit.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Journeyman
    Seems like a good idea [he says while noting his post count…]

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgillett View Post
    Seems like a good idea [he says while noting his post count…]
    You'll get there in a couple of years at your current rate

Journeyman
    You'll get there in a couple of years at your current rate
    Haha. I’ve had a long break after picking up my Everest 40mm a few years back - don’t recall buying a watch being so damn hard back then - or perhaps I got lucky?

Master
    Good idea

SydR
    I guess it all comes down to being prepared.

I tried for the first time today and was able to successfully place an order for the SPEEDBIRD III PRS-22.

Having everything auto populate and being prepared for the card check seems to be key.

missed the gilt one as i was late to log in on time !

Guilt dial lasted under a minute. Congratulations to those who were prepared and scored.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Having previously purchased 3 Timefactors Smiths watches I was aware of the challenges and practiced diligently.
    All necessary card details were cached and my calesthetic training regime means my fingers were like lightening bolts.
    All was going well. I was on the ball when the store became live and threw a gilt PRS25 into my basket. Having previously logged on, my shipping details were ready and waiting for payment.
    And that’s were I fell flat. Bl@@dy Barclaycard insisted I authenticate via the phone app, but I was ready for that, and already logged in.
    Back to the store at 14.01:15 and the watches were sold out.

What’s the point? Eddie, you should change this for Smiths collectors. It’s madness as it is.

Cheers
    Steve
    Just had a similar scenario myself, thought I’d managed to get a Smiths Everest ‘Expedition’, had to authenticate on banking app and after doing that the watch was sold out and the store now closed.

Rather infuriating that the watch can be in basket and at checkout stage and unable to complete transaction due to personally having extra security on transactions for stores that I haven’t previously used.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Again, for the fourth time in a row, I was not fast enough.

Are people using the 'early access' code?

Although I fully understand there will be frustration because of the puchasing system but at the moment there isn't a solution that we can find.

Certain models are popular and sell out quickly, this is the case for a wide range of products also on the market, including models from other watch brands.

Personally I have missed out on tickets for several music gigs recently, I was there on the dot, pressing refresh and non were available within seconds. Tickets then appeared all over the internet and highly inflated prices almost instantly, it's highly frustrating but that's just how it is.

We've several measures to try and stop people buying watches to flip and 3rd party fulfillment would add a significant amount on to the purchase price (as would adding staff). Pre-orders have the potential to cause admin nightmares if there are issues with supply/stock.

It's a small operation, working long hours with other considerations outside of work but we are looking on ways to improve matters.

The main point to this rant is that nothing is done intentionally to anger people.
    Dave from Time Factors

Timefactors Insta

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post
    Although I fully understand there will be frustration because of the puchasing system but at the moment there isn't a solution that we can find.

Certain models are popular and sell out quickly, this is the case for a wide range of products also on the market, including models from other watch brands.

Personally I have missed out on tickets for several music gigs recently, I was there on the dot, pressing refresh and non were available within seconds. Tickets then appeared all over the internet and highly inflated prices almost instantly, it's highly frustrating but that's just how it is.

We've several measures to try and stop people buying watches to flip and 3rd party fulfillment would add a significant amount on to the purchase price (as would adding staff). Pre-orders have the potential to cause admin nightmares if there are issues with supply/stock.

It's a small operation, working long hours with other considerations outside of work but we are looking on ways to improve matters.

The main point to this rant is that nothing is done intentionally to anger people.

Decent of you to say Brammer, thanks.

Imagine how much worse it would be without Gandalf working his wizardry.

Viva Timefactors

Apprentice
    I wanted a new bracelet for my 2020 PRS-25. Too bad, didn't work out the way I wanted.

My coworker brought in a jar of flavored peanut butter recently, I think it was strawberry shortcake from Nerdy Nuts at https://nerdynuts.com or something similar. She described how these are sold in small batches online at specific times and dates, and are usually sold out within minutes.

Similarly, I have heard on the Marc Maron podcast WTF that his commissioned artisan cat mugs at https://www.wtfmugs.co often sell out within minutes.

So from Nerdy Nuts to WTF, Tiimefactors keeps good company!

I tried a couple of times and failed over the years. It's put me off trying again tbh, life's too short to worry about trying to buy unobtainium.

Why did I even waste a few minutes of my life trying? What a crock.

omg ... i have missed it again.. it was my mistake... input wrong autorisation payment code !!!

Apprentice
    Managed to get an Everest Expedition this time.

Was able to get added to basket at 13:59 and transaction completed at 14:01 after authentication and security confirmation on banking app.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app