closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Pilot Chronograph 41mm with Black Dial

IWC Pilot Chronograph 41mm with Black Dial

It looks like this was released on Jan 27th without too much fanfare. Finally a normally sized Pilot chronograph with the black dial and no aged lume. It’s a strong release, but also at strong money £7550 for the IW388113.

I like it a lot, although getting rid of the solid back and anti-magnetic iron core without a magnetism defeating alternative such as silicone components seems a lost opportunity. Omega managed it with the 1861 to 3861 switch.

It’s the first IWC I’ve liked for a long time

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    It looks like this was released on Jan 27th without too much fanfare. Finally a normally sized Pilot chronograph with the black dial and no aged lume. It’s a strong release, but also at strong money £7550 for the IW388113.

I like it a lot, although getting rid of the solid back and anti-magnetic iron core without a magnetism defeating alternative such as silicone components seems a lost opportunity. Omega managed it with the 1861 to 3861 switch.

It’s the first IWC I’ve liked for a long time

It's certainly nicely proportioned, but personally I find the 41mm size a bit small and ordinary, was quite disappointed on a recent trip to WoS where I tried one one of its 41mm siblings (wish I'd taken some pics) - much prefer the older 43mm size which has more heft and presence.

Know what you mean about the vintage lume though, it can be nice judiciously used but there has been rather too much of it around of late, this looks good without it.

I own the Big Pilot 43 which in fact I sometimes worry is a little on the small side for a 'Big Pilot' - I had the Mark XVIII Petit Prince for a while prior to this ... lovely in pics, but really small for a proper pilot watch, the BP43 feels like the watch it should have been, in particular, no date, but it honestly feels a bit small sometimes, might have been better at 44mm rather than 43:

The blue dial is nicer. I was about to buy one but managed to write my car off the day before collecting it.

Master
    Must say I don't like the chrono much based on the image at the top of the thread. Nothing at all wrong with it exactly, it just leaves me cold. It seems to lack character and style. The '90s pilot watches seemed to have so much more charm.

The loss of magnetic shielding frustrates me more than anything. Only a WIS could care!

With the older models, there was at least the pretence that it was a tool. The current message is that’s it’s jewellery, so gaze upon the in house, machine made, 7750 derived movement. I know it always was jewellery, I’m not that much of an idiot, but still…

I do think it’s an attractive design, and although I lament the loss of 3706 design elements, particularly the hand set, IWC have been here since 2005 so I need to get used to it.

D