timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Six Nations 2023

Jiffy went North!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Jim, I think the current Scottish team is arguably the most enthralling I have had the pleasure to watch. My comment was because I am old enough to remember Jiffy playing (I even played at the same venue as him, albeit at a very different level in a game before the (then) 5 nations match between France and Wales). And as an open side flanker I watched how good fly halves played to see how I could ruin their day.
    You’re obviously a player of high standing: Respect DJ

Keep safe and well.

J

I was just a uni player and Jiffy was younger than me, but already a star in a still impressive Welsh team.
    Yet there are not many international players from my era that would stand a chance against a modern team. Their stamina, technique and strength are mind blowing. Ireland, France and Scotland today showed how modern rugby is played, and it’s not just on another level, more like from another planet.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I was just a uni player and Jiffy was younger than me, but already a star in a still impressive Welsh team.
    Yet there are not many international players from my era that would stand a chance against a modern team. Their stamina, technique and strength are mind blowing. Ireland, France and Scotland today showed how modern rugby is played, and it’s not just on another level, more like from another planet.
    Uni level used to be a very good level at all sports so be proud SJ.

My sports (back when JC was a lad 😀 ) were football, judo and basketball and playing uni sides was a great test of how good we were. Judo wasn’t their thing but on-pitch/court team games, they excelled at.

This 6N is seeing a change in level and type of rugby that 3 of the nations have created. The rest will have to follow and walk the talk. As for the 3: 2 can sustain it, 1 of them I can’t see how they will.

Roll on this afternoons game. It’ll be a good one with maybe a not so surprising result.

Jim

Master
    World cup group stage is going to be fun with Scotland, South Africa and Ireland all in the same one.
    Rugby's group of death.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    World cup group stage is going to be fun with Scotland, South Africa and Ireland all in the same one.
    Rugby's group of death.
    With the usual sense of reality I reckon it’ll be
    1 Ireland
    2 SA and
    3 Scotland.

Hurts but fair.

Jim

I’ve seen a significant increase in Scotlands physicality and physique / stamina. We seem to be absolute top level in terms of fitness at least. Not sure what changed but it bodes well for the future. Most of the 6N teams actually are absolute specimens now. Glad I don’t play now - scary.

I agree. I’d be run over by a scrum half nowadays.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Yeah, that van der Meuwe - 6ft 4", 16st 7lb - on the wing?

If you used his scale to adjust the teams I played for, the 2nd rowers would have been about 8ft!

Master
    Listening to the first 10 minutes and the commentators waxing lyrical about Englands passing etc. Think I must be watching a different game as although England are the better of the two teams you would think their props have the handling skills of a Phil Bennett.
    Then we get the classic “England deserve at least 7 points from that.” The commentators do not do the team any favours. Italy not playing or not being allowed to play the way they did against France.

A bit disappointing.
    Not much by way of improved England skill level, but definitely a downturn in performance from Italy.
    I thought that England played better in defeat last week than they did today.
    Oh! well, never mind; I suppose a humiliating defeat was on the cards before kickoff.

Master
    Another ref failing his qualification test for the World Cup, couldn’t ITV find an Italian pundit for a little balance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Another ref failing his qualification test for the World Cup, couldn’t ITV find an Italian pundit for a little balance?
    They would claim that they did by having Dallagio!

Craftsman
    Do those supporting England rate Farrell? I am not knowledgeable enough on the English team to know if you have a good replacement kicker but increasingly Farrell looks lost to me, is often out of position and his poor discipline is well known. I just wouldn’t find him inspirational if he was my captain and I think England would do better without him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    Do those supporting England rate Farrell? I am not knowledgeable enough on the English team to know if you have a good replacement kicker but increasingly Farrell looks lost to me, is often out of position and his poor discipline is well known. I just wouldn’t find him inspirational if he was my captain and I think England would do better without him.
    Liability. Has been since given captaincy. Same as when Hogg was given captaincy of Scotland. Took the edge of both their games.

Farrell has no discipline and his game management is more often than not found lacking. England did well to squeeze Italy so that they couldn’t play their game - and they scored some nice tries. Signs of improvement but a long way to go. Can’t see them posing a problem for Ireland. Hope I am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    I am not a fan, yesterday he kicked far to much away especially when in the last 3rd of the pitch and always has done, I would prefer to see them work through the phases, draw the opposition in to create the over lap rather trying to stick it in behind the back three.
    He has a habit of giving away penalties and his goal kicking seems to have gone awry in recent months. His leadership has always been lacking - the leadership throughout the team is the non existent. So no I am definitely not a fan.

I would much prefer to see a VPL, Smith, Lawrence 9,10,12 combo.

England have a lot to work on, ruck speed was too slow, too many missed tackles, other than Lawrence no spark in the backs.

One thing that is puzzling me is Dombrant. He looks lost at this level. He is nothing like the player we see for Quinn’s week in and week out. At one point (about 50 minutes in) he looked to have completely switched off and a Italian turn over was the result. I can’t see him keeping his place in the team for very long unless he pulls his finger out, Mercer will be available soon.

A humping by Ireland and France is on the cards (I have tickets to France, I think that will be a long day) Wales will put up a fight and want to turn England over and I think that might happen.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th February 2023 at 09:11.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Farrell has no discipline and his game management is more often than not found lacking. England did well to squeeze Italy so that they couldn’t play their game - and they scored some nice tries. Signs of improvement but a long way to go. Can’t see them posing a problem for Ireland. Hope I am wrong
    I've said for some years now to Farrell apologists that his oft used no wrap tackling technique could cost England dearly some day, it hasn't yet, but imagine him being red carded and England being sent home from a world cup, or even losing the final because of one rash act. Or far worse, his "technique" causing a crippling injury to another player that ruins the rest of their life.
    Yes, they managed Italy very well for over 60 minutes of the game and definitely a sign of good things to come.
    I think they will pose a problem for Ireland, more than Scotland will despite their current form and results, just not a big enough one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I've said for some years now to Farrell apologists that his oft used no wrap tackling technique could cost England dearly some day, it hasn't yet, but imagine him being red carded and England being sent home from a world cup, or even losing the final because of one rash act. Or far worse, his "technique" causing a crippling injury to another player that ruins the rest of their life.
    Yes, they managed Italy very well for over 60 minutes of the game and definitely a sign of good things to come.
    I think they will pose a problem for Ireland, more than Scotland will despite their current form and results, just not a big enough one.
    Farrell is the only captain that is a million miles from a leader. In fact I can’t see a leader in the England starting XV

He will seriously injure a player and hurt the game of rugby accordingly as his ‘style’ has been commented on for so long but nothing is being done - another of the untouchables like Sexton and Biggar are.

The big games start now when things are won and lost. The ‘league’ is now in two halves it seems with France, Scotland and Ireland the ones to beat. England have had another failed year and Wales have been found out and wanting. Very sad that two of the world’s greats have crashed so low.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Farrell is the only captain that is a million miles from a leader. In fact I can’t see a leader in the England starting XV

He will seriously injure a player and hurt the game of rugby accordingly as his ‘style’ has been commented on for so long but nothing is being done - another of the untouchables like Sexton and Biggar are.

The big games start now when things are won and lost. The ‘league’ is now in two halves it seems with France, Scotland and Ireland the ones to beat. England have had another failed year and Wales have been found out and wanting. Very sad that two of the world’s greats have crashed so low.

Jim
    Yes, they pick up the very occasioanl yellow in club games but international referees seem loathe to touch them.
    I can't see Wales digging themselves out of the hole they are in for a good while yet. There are financial and business management problems all up and down the WRU. Every few years the team punches above its weight and wins the Six Nations and the cracks are temporarily papered over again and nothing is done. I fear the cost of poor grass roots and regional investment, and the repeated crack papering overs are truly coming home to roost now and we can pretty much forget the world Cup.

Farrell is definitely the loose link in a half decent team. Smith may be a bit selfish but he puts everything into every game and kicks at least as well as farrell does. Every time Farrell goes for a kick it seems to me his confidence has gone and he's just hoping.

Master
    Farrell has no discipline and his game management is more often than not found lacking. England did well to squeeze Italy so that they couldn’t play their game - and they scored some nice tries. Signs of improvement but a long way to go. Can’t see them posing a problem for Ireland.
    +1. Better but a medium term re-build project

Master
    It’s going to be a tough call for Scotland against Ireland. I’ve been unfortunate on many occasions to see Leinster destroy the Glasgow Warriors and I see the same mentality in the Irish team.

well this will be interesting -
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/othe...ca20438e6ab3f0
    nice timing lads.

well this will be interesting -
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/othe...ca20438e6ab3f0
    nice timing lads.
    The contractual arrangements currently in place with both the RFU and WRU are unsustainable. It places too many constraints on the management and stifles development. Lots of cash going in to pockets though - I have paid £160 each for Eng v France tickets through my club but there is bugger all going in to grass roots
    The simple fact is no RFU can compete with the FRU in terms of crowds at games, cash being generated by the game and then being placed back in to the game at lower levels.
    Unfortunately the professional game in England, Wales and Scotland is verging on unsustainable as it stands.

Despite always approaching big games for Scotland with lots of hope I still think my head says a fairly comfortable French win this weekend. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Despite always approaching big games for Scotland with lots of hope I still think my head says a fairly comfortable French win this weekend. Happy to be proved wrong of course.
    With you RB.

J

Master
    Sad to say have to agree as both France and Ireland will be too much for Scotland. Think we will have a slightly better chance against France with their more open style but Ireland will squeeze the life out of us.

My coments earlier about Jiffy were only aimed at his pundit career as he was a great player both in League as well as Union. When it comes to commentating however I think a scotsman must have pissed in his pocket as he is incredibly bitter and negative about Scotland. He struggles to give any praise, so much so that his co-commentators sometimes remark about it. Sam Warburton has pulled him up on it a few times.
    Looking forward to all the matches to come and hope big Duhan van der Merwe rampages through another defensive line.

Can't help but think Italy are having a slightly raw deal with this referee. A couple of admittedly mild off the ball hits by Ireland ignored, then Irish player runs headlong into static Italian player, Italy penalised!
    Saying that, an Ireland win is nigh on a certainty and would happen the way they are paying anyhow.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 25th February 2023 at 16:00.

Can't help but think Italy are having a slightly raw deal with this referee. A couple of admittedly mild off the ball hits by Ireland ignored, then Irish player runs headlong into static Italian player, Italy penalised!
    Saying that, an Ireland win is nigh on a certainty and would happen the way they are paying anyhow.
    Agreed
    Ref has missed quite a bit on the Irish side and the Italian Lock was entitled to stand his ground.

England Wales looks a close one unless Wales collapse like they did v Scotland

Well, at least Italy vs. Ireland was entertaining.

I thought I was watching an episode of Scooby Doo!

I was waiting for someone to pull of Van Portfleet's mask and it be 'Box Kick' Ben Youngs under there

England were hopeless and please, don't get me started on Farrell..............

Wales did very well considering off field tribulations. England still have lots of work to do but will definitely get there. A totally fair result for both teams reflecting both where they are and the match played today and definitely the better team won (a tad gutted though obviously).
    Didn't Steve Borthwick come over well in the post match interview? True gent who will inspire his players more and more as time passes.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 25th February 2023 at 20:49.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Sad to say have to agree as both France and Ireland will be too much for Scotland. Think we will have a slightly better chance against France with their more open style but Ireland will squeeze the life out of us.

My coments earlier about Jiffy were only aimed at his pundit career as he was a great player both in League as well as Union. When it comes to commentating however I think a scotsman must have pissed in his pocket as he is incredibly bitter and negative about Scotland. He struggles to give any praise, so much so that his co-commentators sometimes remark about it. Sam Warburton has pulled him up on it a few times.
    Looking forward to all the matches to come and hope big Duhan van der Merwe rampages through another defensive line.
    Isn’t our Scots optimism so completely overwhelming!

As for Jiffy, he’ll be fine once his voice breaks! I genuinely put games on mute when he’s on. What a horrid little man.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    As for Jiffy, he’ll be fine once his voice breaks! I genuinely put games on mute when he’s on. What a horrid little man.

Jim
    He must believe he gets paid by the word, and time and a half for being an octave too high. He totally got on my toot today.

Master
    Blog Entries
    He must believe he gets paid by the word, and time and a half for being an octave too high. He totally got on my toot today.
    I’m with you RT. Sadly I wasn’t quick enough at half time to switch mute off/on.

Jim

Missing the great Eddie Butler this year :(

Really enjoyed Brian Moore too.

Six Nations 2023

5 mins in game over. Was easy decision for the ref.

Ok 2 red cards game on perhaps
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 26th February 2023 at 16:18.

Thought that was a headbutt at the time!

Soon be like a good game of Sevens!!!

Great to see the freedom that both teams are showing here - hell of a game of rugby

Well played France - in fact well played both. Awesome advert for the game

Best game of the tournament so far - by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Best game of the tournament so far - by a country mile.
    Yep. Fantastic.

Master
    Dammit, thought we might hang on for the losing bonus point, after it became obvious we wouldn’t score for the lead, close in the table.

I honestly thought Scotland would clinch it at the end there. A brilliant game and to be fair the best team won. Just.

It was a great game. End to end stuff.
    Scotland looked the better team for much of the 2nd half

Master
    Bo###cks. Missed it.

England are absolutely appalling. No creativity and lots of breakdown errors

Master
    This thread’s gone a bit quiet…