closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Six Nations 2023

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I did not see that as a red card.
    Steward could not pull out and he was trying to protect himself.
    Ruined the game now.
    Definitely unfair. Steward was turning sideways to avoid being hit!

I did not see that as a red card.
    Steward could not pull out and he was trying to protect himself.
    Ruined the game now.
    100%

Both men were committed to a move and the basic laws of physics can't be changed.

Not even a yellow card in my book, shake it off and move on.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    Definitely unfair. Steward was turning sideways to avoid being hit!
    He was unlucky and it was an involuntary action I think, but it looked terrible on replay and the laws of the game says he has to go.

Master
    Ireland aren't looking like potential world champions in this match.

Six Nations 2023

Nerves playing a part I think - entertaining enough match. Technically it was a red but it makes a mockery of the rules a bit.

Final table of the championship fairly reflects the way teams performed. France possibly a bit unlucky not to top the table maybe.

That has to be a red surely that’s a spear wtf
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 18th March 2023 at 19:52.

Master
    England ending with 13 and not by accident. Pretty clear card in both cases.

Ireland haven’t played well, but didn’t need to.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    England ending with 13 and not by accident. Pretty clear card in both cases.

Ireland haven’t played well, but didn’t need to.
    Second should have been red it was a shocking tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Second should have been red it was a shocking tackle.
    Not seen it, but possibly a bit of panic setting in?

It was a better contest today than I was expecting, and the sending-off was a huge factor.
    But not even I could say that Ireland didn't deserve the win, and certainly they deserve the Grand Slam, so well done to them.
    Not the best 5/6 Nations tournament that I have watched, but the end table is a fair reflection of the teams' performances.

Master
    If that’s a red card by the laws of the game, rugby union is dead. Watch it in full speed and apply some common sense. Watching in super slow motion isn’t the whole analysis.

Well done Ireland, congrats! What a St Paddy's weekend this is going to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    If that’s a red card by the laws of the game, rugby union is dead. Watch it in full speed and apply some common sense. Watching in super slow motion isn’t the whole analysis.
    Agreed!

Well Done Ireland a well deserved Grand Slam
    Well played England, at least they turned up and made it a game.
    If there had been 15 on the pitch I think it would have been closer

I saw it as a red card when watching it at full speed and thought it a pretty stupid move by Freddie. He knew full well that you don’t brace for impact in a defensive line when hurtling towards a player about to take the ball and should have gone low with arms outspread, particularly as staying high with his shoulder risked a head strike call. At worst he would have received a yellow card. Ireland deserved the win.

As a proud Welshman, to be honest I thought we deserved the wooden spoon.
    We have plenty to work on before the world cup for sure.

I think Italy are a marvelous addition to the competition, and I don't think it'll be too long before Georgia are knocking on the door.

Until the home nations up their game, a couple of outsiders would certainly add some spice to the mix.

Good luck to all in the world cup

It was unfortunate and most likely involuntary but it was a red card: the defending player has the responsibility to make sure his challenge doesn’t endanger the attacker. He did protect himself instinctively but in doing so his shoulder/ elbow made contact with the other player’s head.
    What he should have done to avoid taking the card? Go low(er) and use his arms. Easy to say considering how fast it happened but too many players from yesteryears are suffering from debilitating illnesses resulting from the impact they suffered and it was decided they had to be protected. It isn’t the rugby I knew but then my old self wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes at the intensity required today.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It was unfortunate and most likely involuntary but it was a red card: the defending player has the responsibility to make sure his challenge doesn’t endanger the attacker. He did protect himself instinctively but in doing so his shoulder/ elbow made contact with the other player’s head.
    What he should have done to avoid taking the card? Go low(er) and use his arms. Easy to say considering how fast it happened but too many players from yesteryears are suffering from debilitating illnesses resulting from the impact they suffered and it was decided they had to be protected. It isn’t the rugby I knew but then my old self wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes at the intensity required today.
    Mine would.

Not 80, but 10 maybe.....

I can't argue with that, but one element of the mitigation the officials have to consider should surely be "if there was no intention to harm, what could the offending player have done to avoid the collision"?
    In today's case, the answer would have been "nothing", and a fairer yellow would have been given.

I do agree that the recent obsession with avoiding head injury is long overdue and does - or should- make the game less likely to be sanctioned out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Mine would.

Not 80, but 10 maybe.....
    I was a flanker and weighted less than a modern scrum half, and at just under 6 ft not much taller either.
    I could probably have carried the magic sponge
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I was a flanker and weighted less than a modern scrum half, and at just under 6 ft not much taller either.
    I could probably have carried the magic sponge
    I played at 2 so was carried around by bigger men for most of the match.

Started off at #4, went to blindside flanker, grew up too small for forward pack and too slow to be a back

A rugby career of watching followed

Master
    I was a no 8, but only weighed 14.5st. As a result, never made it very far in men’s rugby. Played good level at school but I was the same size when I was 16 and never really got bigger!

I should have stopped playing at 22 after uni, but made two comebacks only to get injured badly each time.

Master
    'The letter of the law' versus 'pragmatic management of the game'. Very, very sadly, the noticeably unsmiling referee belonged to the former and spoiled what could have been a very, very good game for a lot of people.

Master
    Ireland under 20s also winning the grand slam. Quite a year.

I still try to play the game (vets) at the ripe of age of 42
    I like to think I am a 6/8 (never really been a 7) but I am far to slow now and swap between back row and lock.
    Love it but god it takes me a week to get over a game now.
    I have played in France a few times and they have a good vets system
    Uncontested scrums and played in quarters. (With cheese and wine in the intervals) very civilised!

I tried to find the second England red card, but no joy?

Saw plenty of YouTube analysis of inconsistencies in refereeing, though.

Steward's wasn't red, the Irish players torso was almost parallel to the ground, Stewards elbow was at his waist. Steward was merely bracing for an impact that he thought might injure himself. And let's not forget that, as shown on Rugby Special, it was a mere 0.6 seconds after the ball was loose, and it could have been his to claim. If he was stock still, the guy would have still hit him with his head.
    I also think Willis's was harsh, the only reason the guy goes up and tips was that he went over the back of a crouching Tuilagi, something Willis wasn't anticipating.
    It was an interesting game, England showed more metal than they had before, but Farrell has to go, he should have been off in the first minutes for taking the catcher in the air, and he kicked away a lot of valuable ball unnecessarily, including turnover ball, giving it straight back to them.

Master
    The bit I don't get about the red is that it seemed a clear forward pass which should have been the mitigation. I've only seen it from one angle but if you play in slo-mo it seems clear the pass was forwards by the lines on the grass which is why the Irish player is immediately running onto Steward who instinctively protects himself from a player ducking down into him.

Steward's Red Card has now been rescinded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65035837

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Steward's Red Card has now been rescinded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65035837
    I have just seen that
    So will there be any fall out for Peyper? He ruined a close game and has gotten things wrong before, (I should stress he is far from my favourite ref so I am blinkered)

Master
    I have just seen that
    So will there be any fall out for Peyper? He ruined a close game and has gotten things wrong before, (I should stress he is far from my favourite ref so I am blinkered)
    Peyper will now take up a position in F1 as race controller