closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Service: New Glass Required

Rolex Service: New Glass Required

My 2008 Sub LV went to Rolex before Christmas for a service. They have said that a new glass is required due to a chip and scratch. As it never goes anywhere near water I’m not sure it matters but they won’t touch it without.

Does a service glass matter?

Don’t really know why I’m immune and ahing. It’s never been polished so I’m still not sure about that either

Unfortunately - the slightest 'chip' that you would need a microscope to see, will require a new crystal at RSC on those models.

Makes no difference to value.

Or - take it back from them and get it serviced elsewhere.

I knew there was a very slight chip on the date viewer. Invisible to the eye

Master
    Wouldn't worry about replacement glass
    I'd leave unpolished though.
    Lot's of LV's that are over polished out there.

I would suck up the glass replacement if you want the service done. Polishing is a personal matter, although FWIW, I would, if it’s a keeper.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Unless the crystal has a crack in it, or it's chipped close to where it seals into the case, it doesn`t need replacing to ensure WR is maintained. Acrylic crystals get small cracks that can easily spread if the watch gets a whack, but I don`t think this applies to mineral or sapphire glass.

I would tell them to refinish the watch (crazy not to in my opinion) and not to replace the glass. Suggest you have a talk to the service centre direct, don't communicate via third parties, e-mail or text, have a proper conversation with the folks and clarify exactly what they're saying.

Having said that, I would be tempted to get this watch looking pin-sharp again, then wear it very carefully to keep it in that condition. Get it refinished and get a new crystal fitted if the cosmetic damage is obvious, personally I don`t like marks and damage on a watch at all, although I bend that rule for the everyday wearers I keep the expensive ones in near-mint condition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Unless the crystal has a crack in it, or it's chipped close to where it seals into the case, it doesn`t need replacing to ensure WR is maintained. Acrylic crystals get small cracks that can easily spread if the watch gets a whack, but I don`t think this applies to mineral or sapphire glass.

I would tell them to refinish the watch (crazy not to in my opinion) and not to replace the glass. Suggest you have a talk to the service centre direct, don't communicate via third parties, e-mail or text, have a proper conversation with the folks and clarify exactly what they're saying.

Having said that, I would be tempted to get this watch looking pin-sharp again, then wear it very carefully to keep it in that condition. Get it refinished and get a new crystal fitted if the cosmetic damage is obvious, personally I don`t like marks and damage on a watch at all, although I bend that rule for the everyday wearers I keep the expensive ones in near-mint condition.
    For some reason known only to the Gods, Rolex wearers are expected to display the "history" of the life that the watch has led and the scratches and dings are akin to war medals. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them get sand blasted. Such is the culture of todays market.

Grand Master
    I think the cult of the unpolished watch has been fuelled by internet forums, historically there have been some poor examples around that have suffered badly from being refinished in an over- aggressive inexpert fashion. However, if a watch us being refinished by a reputable guy or by the manufacturers service centre there really is nothing to fear, the watch will come back looking as close to how the manufacturer intended as us practicable.

I fail to see the attraction of a scratched up watch that shows years of wear versus a fresh sharp example and I think most folks will agree if they view it rationally.

Ironically, Rolex cases and Oyster bracelets are v. easy to refinish, a very light treatment will sharpen a tired watch up hugely with tge absolute minimum if metal removed.........but the ‘unpolished crew’ obviously know better!

Thanks all. I’ll call Rolex on Monday and see what they say. I don’t think I want it polishing, the first time I scratched it in 2008 was really annoying. Don’t want to go through it again 😁

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post

Does a service glass matter?

Don’t really know why I’m immune and ahing. ...
    You've lost me. You're immune to what? And why should a glass service matter? Just tell them what work you want done.

As to the additional work needed (glass replacements and polishing), I've had 3 sports Rolex serviced so far, no replacements needed and minimal/no work on the steel. I don't dive, but I wear them in everyday life. Other wearers must lead Ethan Hunt lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You've lost me. You're immune to what? And why should a glass service matter? Just tell them what work you want done.

As to the additional work needed (glass replacements and polishing), I've had 3 sports Rolex serviced so far, no replacements needed and minimal/no work on the steel. I don't dive, but I wear them in everyday life. Other wearers must lead Ethan Hunt lifestyles.
    Sorry autocorrect- umming and ahhing.

They won’t service without the replacement glass. I’m no Micheal Hunt but when the watch was younger and of significantly less value it was worn daily, on holiday, dig the garden, mend cars etc

I’m no Micheal Hunt …
    Mike Hunt? Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?

Master
    Thanks all. I’ll call Rolex on Monday and see what they say. I don’t think I want it polishing, the first time I scratched it in 2008 was really annoying. Don’t want to go through it again 
    You hit the nail on the head there.
    You get Rolex to polish it and you have at minimum crown guards whittled down and coronet on bracelet brushed out a bit.
    Not sure if the cases still get the Bexley bevel treatment or if that's been toned down now.
    So it comes back all shiny and you wear it for a year or two and put the usual life scratches on it-now you are back to where you were but with an already polished watch.

Master
    The OP has a problem here. He has a Sub which is obviously designed to go deep down and Rolex intends that the water resistance will stay.

When he takes it into Rolex or an accredited agent, the price is the same and the work carried out is the same and the intention is that after the service, the Sub is as new. If there is the slightest mark on the glass or a minor chip then it will be replaced and if the OP says it does not need it, the watch will be returned. The reason being that they offer a two year warranty against leakage and that means whether the OP likes it or not, the glass is replaced. It is simply a take it or leave it decision.

The only alternative is to go to an independent who cannot buy original replacement parts from Rolex any longer. They only supply themselves or accredited agents. If the OP goes down this route the watch will be returned repaired but to a lesser standard that had it gone to Rolex. The glass will still be marked or chipped etc and if new parts are needed, they will not be OEM. Some independents will buy good parts but some won't but all of them will say we do it as good as Rolex. There lies the risk.

When it comes to selling, having the worked serviced by someone other Rolex or an accredited agent makes any buyer suspicious about the quality of the service.

Rolex would like every Rolex serviced by themselves or by an accredited agent so that everyone one of their watches is at top performance which enhances the brand.

The days of wearing a Rolex on the cheap are slowly coming to an end.

I’m not over bothered about the cost as it’s “only” £150 for the glass. Just don’t want to replace it if it will affect value.

I’m not over bothered about the cost as it’s “only” £150 for the glass. Just don’t want to replace it if it will affect value.

I don't remember how much a new crystal was last year, but £150 seems more than I recollect...............

If you didn't get hit for a new crown, then you can take that as a 'win'

Master
    Definitely wont affect value.
    It's not a superdome or top hat plexy

Worth checking if you want to keep the watch original that the new crystal doesn’t come with AR coating on the underside as I believe all do now.

Funny mine needed a new crown last year and they tried to take my flat 4 bezel to replace has had a few really minor scratches on. The glass had a minor scratch which I never saw but declined to replace that
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I don't remember how much a new crystal was last year, but £150 seems more than I recollect...............

Sent from my SM-A325F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

New crown needed. I didn’t mention it as I’ve never heard anyone NOT need a new crown :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Mike Hunt? Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?
    "Phone call for Mike Hunt, Mike Hunt anyone"....ah the oldies are the goodies

Called St James today. 2 chips on the crystal at 1 and 4. Wont service without a replacement so agreed that work.

I also asked for them not to touch the hands dial and bezel. They are also not polishing it - I can then go back to wearing it daily without worry about scratching it :)

A cool £800 spent on a watch that only cost £3k ;)

Master
    Called St James today. 2 chips on the crystal at 1 and 4. Wont service without a replacement so agreed that work.

I also asked for them not to touch the hands dial and bezel. They are also not polishing it - I can then go back to wearing it daily without worry about scratching it :)

Even with the drop it'll be worth 12-14K so you're quids in.

Master

One of the reasons why your watch is now worth heck a lot more than the £3k that you paid is down to Rolex taking steps to protect the brand image. That £800 is a lot less than the increase in value.

You are onto a winner my friend.

The watch is back. Took 2 months for the service I now need to start wearing it again to check it works :)

I opted not to have it polished as I'm going to wear it regularly and it will only get scratched again, this way I don't need to worry about it.

The AD had all models in "for exhibition only" It really made me want the new version to go with my Kermit LV and Harrods Tudor. They wouldn't put me on the list as I'm still on for a Daytona (in 4 years!).

If anyone has a Starbucks for close to list I'd love you long time :)