closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wireless chargers for IPhone

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Wireless chargers for IPhone

I fancy a wireless charger for my iPhone 11 Pro-max and a simple search revealed plethora of various makes, models, watts etc etc.

Any pointers to a good quality charging pad that I can just plonk my phone onto for charging.

More watts the better, right!
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Blog Entries
    I’ve heard the knacker the battery with long term use. Are you sure you want that?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-study-3887096

I have one for occasional use and there is a built in one in my car - but I use a cable for charging 99% of time
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats interesting, I have a wireless magnetic charger in the car but dont do a lot of driving so its more of a top up when flitting about.

My phone spends a lot of time on the side at home and just thought if was charging while on the sideboard that would be good, maybe not.
    Cheers,

Ben

We use a couple of these.

We’ve had them for a couple of years now and haven’t had any battery issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I’ve heard the knacker the battery with long term use. Are you sure you want that?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-study-3887096

I have one for occasional use and there is a built in one in my car - but I use a cable for charging 99% of time
    Funny you mention that, I used a friends car last weekend and he had a wireless charging pad in the car which I used. Within 60 minutes my iPhone had an overheating warning come up on it which I had never seen before and the phone was actually damn got to touch.

That was the end of that experiment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article is rather vague - wireless charging might cause the phone to be 3 degrees warmer than wired but saying that it will ‘ruin’ the battery is rather strong.
    Similar temperature difference could likely also be caused by charging in a case.

Master
    I use a MagSafe charger in the office and homes, I also use the MagSafe Duo Charger when travelling. Only started since my iphone 14 last year, battery is at 100% 4 months on.

Blog Entries
    Another article does mention - get a lower wattage (5W) one (Apple limits to 7.5W) as it’s the induction heat that affects life of battery. I have the stand one
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Funny you mention that, I used a friends car last weekend and he had a wireless charging pad in the car which I used. Within 60 minutes my iPhone had an overheating warning come up on it which I had never seen before and the phone was actually damn got to touch.

I use a Pitaka one in my car which has a built in fan to help keep it cool

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/magez-mount-qi
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

This was one built into the car by the manufacturer. I have to admit using the apple MagSafe charger at home has never resulted in the same outcome.

Master
    I’ve been using MagSafe exclusively every night for about 2 years. Battery health 92%

The Anker wireless desk stand shown earlier is excellent, i've had one of these for a few years with iPhone and its been great.

Master
    I've been using a Belkin stand (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) every night for the past 18 months or so with my iPhone 13. Battery capacity is now 96%, which seems ok.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I have one of those by my work PC.

My wife has never used induction charging.

Our phones, bought together, have the same battery health. I think that article is flimsy and not accurate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I’ve been using MagSafe exclusively every night for about 2 years. Battery health 92%
    Same here, IPhone 12 Pro one year old, charged with Apple MagSafe every night for a year, 99% battery.

The ikea ones are garbage.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I’d just buy the apple MagSafe charging pad tbh. I believe they have technology in them that prevents overheating. Had my 13 pro for 18 months and almost exclusively use wireless charging and the battery is on 94%. I have a work iPhone SE that does get a bit warm on the pad sometimes so not sure if the older ones have the same chip in them to marry to the charger ?

Craftsman
    In the absence of MagSafe charging, I’d stick to a 20w fast charger. 0-50% in 30 mins.

Master
    Got a belkin one in the house which works fine with various phones, the wife's car has one built in and every phone I have put on it heats up, iPhones and Samsung regularly come up with the overheating warning.
    Would I get another one in the house, yes. Would I get another one in a car, probably not.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just had a thought, as my phone is in a magnetic case ( super thin carbon ) do I have to have a MagSafe charger or will it still charge on a normal Qi pad/stand
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Same here, they charge relatively slowly in my experience which seems to be acknowledged as a safer way of charging

From what I understand, the super fast chargers (super-Vooc) which are 80w++ and very quick do more damage. As an example, my Oppo came with an 80w charger, it goes from 5% to 80% in under 15 minutes....... The phone does get a little warm though.

Fortunately, if charging at night the phone / charger is smart enough that it knows to slow charge

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Got a belkin one in the house which works fine with various phones, the wife's car has one built in and every phone I have put on it heats up, iPhones and Samsung regularly come up with the overheating warning.
    Would I get another one in the house, yes. Would I get another one in a car, probably not.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk
    Didn’t know there was such a thing as an overheat warning on the iPhone.

On a very hot day in the sun the screen might dim but never any warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Didn’t know there was such a thing as an overheat warning on the iPhone.
    Only had it occur once when I left the iPhone in the car in the California sun.

Master

This is interesting. I might check these out. I have a magnetic phone holder in my car and because of the magnet on the back of my phone, my phone won’t charge wirelessly. It’s an iPhone 11.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    This is interesting. I might check these out. I have a magnetic phone holder in my car and because of the magnet on the back of my phone, my phone won’t charge wirelessly. It’s an iPhone 11.
    This is the case I use, so light and thin it adds next to nothing to the bulk of the phone, I have the matching in car wireless charger.

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/mag...-for-iphone-11
    Cheers,

Ben

Master
    This is the case I use, so light and thin it adds next to nothing to the bulk of the phone, I have the matching in car wireless charger.

https://www.ipitaka.com/products/mag...-for-iphone-11
    I don’t think the case is the issue with me, it’s a decent but not too thick Otterbox case.
    I think what stops the wireless charging for me is the magnet on the back of my phone. I’m guessing that stops any charge getting through

I use a Belkin MagSafe charger in the car but went back to wired charging in the house for my 14 Pro after the charging my 12 Pro wirelessly. The 12 Pro had battery health of 84% after 2 years. Wireless charging does generate more heat in the phone and is less efficient than wired charging.

Master
    The battery on my 11 pro max which is over 3 years old now is still at 92%. It does get a lot of use but has never been charged via wireless. I’ve a charge cable beside the sofa and one in the car so it usually gets short blasts of charge rather than going from min to max.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

My cars OEM wireless charging pad also heats my phone quite a lot, and in summer I've had the phone stating overheat warning.

I also have a wireless charging pad at work, so I'd say mine has been charged mostly with wireless chargers. It's a 13 Pro, now 1½ years old and battery is at 94%.

I was looking at buying a new car recently and a lot of models seem to include a wireless charging mat, but need the phone to be wired for CarPlay (a lot of models are due a wireless Apple CarPlay update but the lack of semiconductors is still an issue apparently). So you end up with a phone plugged into CarPlay, also receiving a charge via the same lead, whilst still simultaneously on a wireless charging pad. Not surprisingly that confuses the phone no end!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, quick question. Im considering this one but am wondering about comparability as my phone lives in a ultra thin magnetic case.

Will the fact that its not a MagSafe charger make any difference to its functionality. Not overly interested in the magnetic side of things at home.

Phone is a11 pro max.

https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/belkin-b...ng-stand-89916
    Cheers,

Ben

The magnets allow the phone charging coils to be aligned with those in the charger which allows a higher power to be used, leading to shorter charge times. They are also more efficient because they can rely on the coils being aligned. Misaligned coils are much less efficient than aligned ones.

I do find it odd that my iPhone 13 Pro snaps onto the MagSafe charger with a snap, charges and never gets warm, whereas my work iPhone SE - with no MagSafe - charges noticeably more slowly and gets quite warm at the same time. Is that due to the misaligned coils I wonder?