closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog recommendations for a young family?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Staffie…….

Great with kids, equally happy going for long walks or just cuddling up on the sofa all day .
    Nice to see a Staffie included - the Kennel Club recommends them for families https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wil...with-children/

But you would probably need a pedigree to be sure. We have (as best we know) a Staffie/Lab cross (3/4 Staffie) and whilst she is a lovely dog and there is not a bad bone in her body, she is very excitable and rather boisterous.

Master
    Had dogs for the past 20 years, boxers and bulldogs (french and English).

I wouldn't recommend a Frenchie, too many health issues and crap breeders out there.

Definitely not a boxer based upon your requirements!

One thing that did make me smile was the neat freak comment. Being honest, I'd probably not get a dog if that is the case.

You've got to prepare for accidents when toilet training. There may also be damage from chewing, it happens, it could be furniture, skirting boards, remote controls.... Pretty much anything.

No shedding breeds, choose carefully and do your research, all is not what it appears. Some of the "mixed" make for cute looking dogs that have high energy levels and require lots of walks and mental stimulation.

Up until 2 years ago I had been heavily involved in boxer and bulldog rescue. I've fostered all sorts of dogs, some from broken homes that had clearly been loved and others that had slept outside with no shelter in their own mess (urine burns etc on their skin). We have also adopted several dogs over the years that initially arrived as foster dogs. A couple arrived as broken and scared dogs but left this world having lived a life full of love, adventures and a massive part of our family.

Think long and hard about the impact a dog will have on you, your family, your garden, holidays and freedom to just drop everything and do those spontaneous things you do now.

But also prepare yourself for a very rewarding experience assuming you can adjust to the fact a dog will impact your life.

Lastly, training, quality of diet and exercise are key to a happy dog. Exercise and training could mean the difference between things working out or not.

Sorry, long post and brutally honest one. I've seen too many dogs pass through rescue. On that point, since COVID, the number of dogs being surrendered to rescues is unprecedented...... I'd normally urge you to get a rescue but as previously mentioned it might not be possible due to your children's age.

Good luck with it all

Paul

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We’ve had a labradoodle who’s now 11, he was introduced to who are now my 3 and 5 year old daughters and has been the perfect family dog, doesn’t malt either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    Beautiful dog, bumped into a couple who had a pair of them. Interesting background to the breed.

Our Spinone has been nothing but pleasure. Great with our kids when they were young, peaceful in the house but loves a good walk or run, very gentle.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    we had a beautiful golden lab growing up but probably a little large for us at the moment.
    Roger that C. Hope you get fixed up. Family bonds are made by pets.

Jim

Craftsman
    We have a westie that is nearly 2. Great natured dogs, they do have a mind of their own though.
    Beef rib nearly demolished

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Nice to see a Staffie included - the Kennel Club recommends them for families https://www.countryliving.com/uk/wil...with-children/

But you would probably need a pedigree to be sure. We have (as best we know) a Staffie/Lab cross (3/4 Staffie) and whilst she is a lovely dog and there is not a bad bone in her body, she is very excitable and rather boisterous.
    Indeed…..we contacted kennel club about 18 years ago when considering first dog and staffie was recommended and our first was from a KC registered breeder. They’ve earned the Nanny Dog moniker, fabulous family dog. All these fluffy cross breed something/poo/spaniel/cava/etc/ designer things are all well and good but most I’ve come across have small man syndrome 😂

Craftsman
    Without trying to drift down the ‘I’ve had this or that breed’ I’d be considering:

How much time do you have or want to give for exercise/interaction? How biddable a breed would you like? Some breeds are headstrong or scent/sight focussed and become somewhat deaf to recall; some dig or were bred to chase and dispatch small furry creatures (and may still do so) ;-)

Consider the breed differences (if any) for a bitch / dog.

Hard to go wrong with a Labrador or many of the suggestions here.

After growing up with various breeds and now having a young child myself we have gone with a vizsla bitch who is now 18-months old - 18kg and a small slim labrador type size. She doesn’t shed much at all (very short coat) but she needs decent (1-2 hours dedicated a day) exercise and likes to remain close to her family. Definitely not a breed that can/should be left alone all day.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Ser3 J; 7th February 2023 at 08:12. Reason: Spelling issue of bread/breed

Journeyman
    Sproodle

Springer sized, non shedder and not as manic as a springer can be.

Promo-Facebook-Facebook%20profile%20picture.jpeg-1.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Had dogs for the past 20 years, boxers and bulldogs (french and English).

I wouldn't recommend a Frenchie, too many health issues and crap breeders out there.

Definitely not a boxer based upon your requirements!

One thing that did make me smile was the neat freak comment. Being honest, I'd probably not get a dog if that is the case.

You've got to prepare for accidents when toilet training. There may also be damage from chewing, it happens, it could be furniture, skirting boards, remote controls.... Pretty much anything.

No shedding breeds, choose carefully and do your research, all is not what it appears. Some of the "mixed" make for cute looking dogs that have high energy levels and require lots of walks and mental stimulation.

Up until 2 years ago I had been heavily involved in boxer and bulldog rescue. I've fostered all sorts of dogs, some from broken homes that had clearly been loved and others that had slept outside with no shelter in their own mess (urine burns etc on their skin). We have also adopted several dogs over the years that initially arrived as foster dogs. A couple arrived as broken and scared dogs but left this world having lived a life full of love, adventures and a massive part of our family.

Think long and hard about the impact a dog will have on you, your family, your garden, holidays and freedom to just drop everything and do those spontaneous things you do now.

But also prepare yourself for a very rewarding experience assuming you can adjust to the fact a dog will impact your life.

Lastly, training, quality of diet and exercise are key to a happy dog. Exercise and training could mean the difference between things working out or not.

Sorry, long post and brutally honest one. I've seen too many dogs pass through rescue. On that point, since COVID, the number of dogs being surrendered to rescues is unprecedented...... I'd normally urge you to get a rescue but as previously mentioned it might not be possible due to your children's age.

Good luck with it all

Paul

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    thanks for the considered post Paul, ill have to loosen up a bit im aware! Given we have young kids we have already given up a lot of freedoms that havent yet been regained and we do a lot together as a foursome, given that we are pretty active and my wife is working at home now i think the time is right, but lets see!

Craftsman
    We currently have a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel that was brought up alongside our kids. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best choice. Even now He’s a complete lunatic and has never been overly affectionate. I grew up with a little mongrel, an Irish Wolfhound and a Great Dane and the little one 100% ruled the roost.
    The family are talking about having a Dachshund but can’t say I’m overly keen. I have a number of friends with Cockapoo’s and they have the most amazing temperament.

Master
    Tibetan Spaniels are a good companion dog. Certainly different, there’s a good breeder about 5 miles west of Dundee, ex MIL got one from there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller1 View Post
    We currently have a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel that was brought up alongside our kids. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best choice. Even now He’s a complete lunatic and has never been overly affectionate. I grew up with a little mongrel, an Irish Wolfhound and a Great Dane and the little one 100% ruled the roost.
    The family are talking about having a Dachshund but can’t say I’m overly keen. I have a number of friends with Cockapoo’s and they have the most amazing temperament.
    when you say complete lunatic how so?

A friend has a miniature Schnauzer and it's a dog with a lovely temperament.

My daughter has a Corgi, I wouldn't recommend one of those based on her experiences, to be honest.

Think hard about getting a dog because the kids want one. The reality is that you'll be the one looking after it, not them!

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    A friend has a miniature Schnauzer and it's a dog with a lovely temperament.

My daughter has a Corgi, I wouldn't recommend one of those based on her experiences, to be honest.

Think hard about getting a dog because the kids want one. The reality is that you'll be the one looking after it, not them!

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    yes thats understood, my wife and i love dogs and she is working at home now so this is the most opportune time i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Sadly no longer with us but "Ellie" was a mid-sized retriever that really did not cast a lot... well perhaps a bit, but she was brilliant with the kids when they were lads. Not the brightest star in the firmament but very affectionate and docile. Be prepared for the long haul - she was almost 17 before we had to say "so long"

If you like retrievers then maybe ....

last pic in our garden... it can get cold up here!
    I do think there's a reason that retrievers and labs are often seen as the stereotypical family dog, if you have the space for them they really are ideal

Quote Originally Posted by ToeBugShuffle View Post
    I do think there's a reason that retrievers and labs are often seen as the stereotypical family dog, if you have the space for them they really are ideal
    If you haven't had one, it's easy to underestimate how big, strong and heavy they are. Great temperament though.

Master
    I'm a spaniel fan, I've had 5 springers, a cav king Charles, and a field in the past currently have a working cocker.
    My cocker is the most intelligent of all of them, he took to whistle training in one session, but he does not stop, at least the springers would go out get wet and cold and then lie by the log burner or heater not the cocker, did a 14 mile walk to my parents house, sat in the lounge chatting then he goes mad, it was 6pm that's walk time.
    I think a sprocker might be the ideal mix for me next time

My parents had a spinone they got it from a rescue centre it was young and had all its hair cut off with lots of razer burn, we saw it the day it was dumped and the rescue centre, and it was love at first site, she turned in to the most loveable friendly dog you could hope for, when our son started to walk he would ride her and the two were often found asleep in a corner cuddled up. She wasn't small though.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    I'm a spaniel fan, I've had 5 springers, a cav king Charles, and a field in the past currently have a working cocker.
    My cocker is the most intelligent of all of them, he took to whistle training in one session, but he does not stop, at least the springers would go out get wet and cold and then lie by the log burner or heater not the cocker, did a 14 mile walk to my parents house, sat in the lounge chatting then he goes mad, it was 6pm that's walk time.
    I think a sprocker might be the ideal mix for me next time

My parents had a spinone they got it from a rescue centre it was young and had all its hair cut off with lots of razer burn, we saw it the day it was dumped and the rescue centre, and it was love at first site, she turned in to the most loveable friendly dog you could hope for, when our son started to walk he would ride her and the two were often found asleep in a corner cuddled up. She wasn't small though.

what about the cavalier? my aunt bred them so was around them a lot as a kid, lovely quiet dogs but not sure they have much personality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    what about the cavalier? my aunt bred them so was around them a lot as a kid, lovely quiet dogs but not sure they have much personality.
    The cavalier is not my type of dog if I'm honest, we were asked if we would look after it when some friends moved abroad, whilst it was okay, it was always barking at anything and everything and I never felt I could fully trust it around kids, something I've been able to with all my other dog's including rescues.
    He was one of three dogs at the time and other than barking was lacking personality in comparison to the Spinone and springer we had at the same time.

The responsible choice would be to avoid any brachycephalic breeds (including cavaliers, pugs, etc.), lest you want the cruelty to continue. We know from experience, our first dog (when we were more naive) was a CKCS and she endured a painful death, and indeed a very uncomfortable existence for much of her life (as do most). Vets will tell you the same (my eldest has recently qualified).

Master
    What about an English Pointer? It was a toss-up for us between a Spinone (friends have one - lovely dog) and a pointer. Went for the pointer as we have a very good breeder not far from us. Pointers need a good amount of exercise, and as long as they get that - they are calm around the house, intelligent and gentle, and love people. Great with old and young alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    What about an English Pointer? It was a toss-up for us between a Spinone (friends have one - lovely dog) and a pointer. Went for the pointer as we have a very good breeder not far from us. Pointers need a good amount of exercise, and as long as they get that - they are calm around the house, intelligent and gentle, and love people. Great with old and young alike.
    We have a Spinone, pictures posted above, and have never regretted getting him but we did look at Pointers as well and I think they are really underrated. Pointers are a lovely dog, good size and temperament.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    We have a Spinone, pictures posted above, and have never regretted getting him but we did look at Pointers as well and I think they are really underrated. Pointers are a lovely dog, good size and temperament.
    Yes I think both are underrated - I’m always surprised by how few of either breed you see out and about - yet in my (biased!) opinion they make fantastic home/family dogs - lovely temperaments. Ours seems to forget she’s meant to be a roughty-tough outdoor gundog and spends most of her time trying to kip on our laps!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Red Setter - makes an ideal family dog. Not too big/heavy, fantastic temperament.

I lost my girl last year and we are now starting to think about another. Not for everyone but she was awesome growing up with my kids and was so gentle with the grandson

Blog Entries
    After 4 Gold Retrievers (nothing better !!), my better half was fed up hoovering, so we went for a Goldendoodle
    The size can vary depending on your choice of father, suggest mini Poodle rather than toy Poodle - intelligent and very loving, hypo allergenic and non malting (main reason for us departing from Goldens..)

Often mistaken for Cockapoos, try to get an F1 if you can source one, and if possible look at both the parents.

Happy hunting

Cheers, Peter