closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sometimes, you find unobtanium where you hadn't expected it to find!

Blog Entries

Sometimes, you find unobtanium where you hadn't expected it to find!

I've written before about my love for classic Saabs, especially the 95/96 V4 model. I've owned several over the years.

Saab used to have an extensive accessory catalog but somehow all those -now sought-after- goodies are gone, thrown away when the car was scrapped or they're lying somewhere on a shelf, collecting dust.

One of the sought-after accessories is a roof rack for the Saab 95. 'Unobtanium' springs to mind. And when you find one, the asking price is insane. I've seen asking prices reaching 1k or even 1.2k euros. For a bunch of galvanized metal tubes.

Still, I'm looking from time to time to find one and I posted a WTB for one on a Dutch forum. Within 15mins I got a reply from someone in the far NE of the country, telling me that he had one for sale. Pics showed a nice-looking imperial and some original boxes. I asked him his price and that was low, compared with what I'd seen.

Today, I drove 2.5 single trip to have a look. And the rack was immaculate. As new. Never used. I could hardly contain my happiness. Still, the asking price was a lot lower than what's the 'going rate'. And I figured that "...honesty goes a long way...", so I told the guy that his asking price was way, way too low. Especially given the 'BNIB'/B and P' state of the rack! I showed him a Swedish sales ad with the same rack and an asking price of 1k euros. And I told him: "I won't pay that, but I won't mind when you re-think your asking price!" He replied that he would be happy to get the price he'd asked me in the first place. So we had a deal in a milli-second!

So I ended up driving 2.5 hr back home with a smile from ear to ear. When I unpacked all in my workshop, I noticed a tarp on the bottom of one of the boxes. That tarp is obviously to cover any load you carry on the rack. But, Id' never seen one before! It's rare as hen's teeth! And it's unused. A little mold on the inside. But that's the result of 30, 40 yrs of lying in a box.

Last edited by thieuster; 3rd February 2023 at 08:52.

Master
    What a result! Honesty does pay.

Now that’s what I call a happy ending. Well done!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    How lovely!

I miss my Saab :(

Great story and congratulations on your find!

Craftsman
    Gladdens the heart. Miss my Saab too

Master
    Nice when things like this happen! Bet you were chuffed to bits.
    Add me to the list of SAAB mourners.

Fair play. No doubt you'll look after it and pass it on.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Great stuff Menno, I am especially heartened by the instant karma of being honest about the low price, and the owner still honouring his offer.
    D

It's things like this that help the world turn around. Honesty and decency goes a long, long way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a friend over here who’s REALLY into his Saabs. Currently he has 4 at last count. I recognise the attraction (addiction??).

You have class! Honesty is a short commodity and helping someone even less. Respect!

Enjoy your motors T

Jim