closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice sought - First Day Covers

Advice sought - First Day Covers

Hi,

Long story but I have acquired a collection of First Day Covers that I'd like to sell.

It's a subject I have no knowledge of. I'm thinking eBay will be the answer, but don't know whether to list individually ( a pain!), in groups ( by age? subject?, anniversary? do Royal ones have different collectors? ) or as a large lot. Do people collect them by subject?

There are approximately 200, unaddressed, mainly from the 70's, 80's and 90's. There are some attractive designs and a wide variety of subjects - I had no idea there were that many different UK stamps!

Any philatelists out there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Mark

Sadly it's very unlikely that they will have any real value (probably less than the face value of the stamps). This topic comes up from time to time on MoneySaving Expert - for example:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...rst-day-covers

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...rst-day-covers

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_79366477

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...mment_78552146

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markl View Post
    Hi,

Long story but I have acquired a collection of First Day Covers that I'd like to sell.

It's a subject I have no knowledge of. I'm thinking eBay will be the answer, but don't know whether to list individually ( a pain!), in groups ( by age? subject?, anniversary? do Royal ones have different collectors? ) or as a large lot. Do people collect them by subject?

There are approximately 200, unaddressed, mainly from the 70's, 80's and 90's. There are some attractive designs and a wide variety of subjects - I had no idea there were that many different UK stamps!

Any philatelists out there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, Mark
    I used to run the Purchasing Dept within Royal Mail that purchased stamps from the 3 approved printers.

Stamp collecting is a hobby for philatelists and you will rarely make a profit and usually a loss.

Any stamp with a Royal connection seems to sell better than the rest as there is a loyal following. The rest of the specials are themed and anyone who wanted the theme in question has probably bought it years ago. Basically supply outstrips demand and prices will reflect this.

I had loads of FDC from the 80s and 90s, from the UK and around the world. I tried Ebay at low, low start prices and nothing went - not even Fiji, New Zealand, Indonesia, etc. I ended up giving them away on SC for a fundraiser donation.

I can tell you that I’m afraid they have virtually no value.

I was left two entire continuous collections from the 1960’s through to about 2005. Literally a couple of thousand FDC’s. I didn’t want them so stuck them in a local auction. I think I got about fifty quid for the lot.

Bluntly, apart from the design and historical interest, they are a complete con by the Post Office. So many were printed and sent to collectors (who believed they were accumulating something of value) that they are in fact only worth the price of the stamps on them, less the hassle of soaking them off. Just pennies.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    Whilst agreeing with what has been said, there is another side to this, signed first-day covers do have a certain value, depending who has signed it obviously and with more than one known and important signatures, there can be value there.

Master
    I have quite a few from the '60s and '70s that my Dad got me, some really interesting ones e.g. Concorde.

My favourite however is the Sir Walter Scott bicentenary FDC, as my father was working for a management consultancy at the time called W D Scott ran by an Australian who wrote me a personal note about the fact that he was named after the author and hoped I would enjoy his books one day. He then signed off with his name...Sir Walter Scott! Sadly I have never read them, maybe I should!

Anyway they are worth peanuts but I love them and get them out from time to time, just to remember if nothing else the excitement as a young child of receiving a letter addressed to you!

Thanks very much for the advice.

I didn't think that would be worth much, but am surprised they are effectively worthless. Some are quite attractive.

I'll stick them on eBay as a job lot. If someone on here wants them for a donation to the fundraiser, please shout!

Thank again.

Mark