closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House advice please following water leak split into flats?

House advice please following water leak split into flats?

So I had a water leak and there is quite a bit of renovation work to be done.

Thankfully a lot of it is covered by insurance, so my first questions are"

1. Do I need to get a QS or architect to manage anything?

2. Should I get my quote from a builder for the renovation instead? That is what the drying company recommended.

The other part is that the house is too big for me. It was bought post divorce and as the children no longer come and are unlikely to, I have more space than I need. I barely use one side of the house.

In theory I could live downstairs and put a small kitchen upstairs (with joint heating and water). There is already a bathroom upstairs. This would give me some extra income. While all the house is being fixed everything would get done at once. I would pay for this, obviously.

Are there any pitfalls, would you do this? Or should I simply get the house done (it was only fully redecorated 3 years ago) and then sell and get something smaller?

I guess I am making some life choices here but am keen not to leave London and can't afford to move any more in. Currently am in Ruislip HA4

Thanks

House advice please following water leak split into flats?

Can’t help you but my elderly Dad has just spent 6 weeks in various Premier Inn’s across Liverpool because of a water leak as a result of frozen pipes for the pre-Xmas cold snap.

He just got the insurance to sort everything out from fixing to drying and repainting, while he tucked into his free hotel brekkies.

It sounds like a good idea to me,I’ve done plenty of work like this in London,where 50% of properties end up getting split into different units.
    You don’t really need an architect but most likely will need to inform the council and building regulations.
    Or maybe not ,depends if you want to split it permanently ,and what budget you have .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks, would it be OK to pm you?

Master
    Shared access may have insurance implications. Personally I’d want any of my private areas secured anyway so this may not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Thanks, would it be OK to pm you?
    No problem

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app