closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Consumer protection for electronic goods

Master

Consumer protection for electronic goods

I'm getting conflicting info online, so hoped somebody here might be able to shed some light.

We have a PS5 that suddenly decided to stop working yesterday - came up with an error that the game disc needed to be inserted (it already was). I was able to get the disc out manually using the method Sony recommend, but the disc drive seems to be kaput with nothing happening when trying to insert a disc. I've been through all the steps suggested on the help pages including a hard reset but the disc drive still isn't working, so my attention has turned to warranties which is where I need some guidance.

The machine was bought online in Feb 2021 from Very, so just under 2 years old. Some sources online state a 2 year warranty from Sony in the UK, but the guarantee booklet that came with it says just 1 year. From a bit of digging online, it would seem that I may have some recourse with the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act, but what I've found is a little vague: "Your rights depend on whether the item should’ve lasted this long. You’ll stand a better chance if it was particularly expensive or sold as high quality, premium or top of the range."

Is it worth me trying to pursue this with Very given it's nearly 2 years old then, would be my question?

Thanks all

Yes, retailer first, then to Sony.

When you contact Very, mention the Consumer Rights Act. It might help focus their minds.

Master
    I had an expensive Sony laptop that went Kaput after 3 years, hard drive failure

Was fobbed off first with the 1 year guarantee line, but mentioned that goods had to, by law, give "reasonable service" and when pushed on the life expectancy of a hard drive they conceded it was beyond 3 years

Was fixed by Sony, via the retailer

Master
    I think you’re well within your rights.

This is definitely worth a read:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...unds-exchange/

Master
    This is the response I've had from them:

Please be advised that this item cannot be returned as it is outside of the first-year manufacturing warranty

Therefore, You would need to obtain an independent report.

This is when you get a qualified engineer from a VAT registered company to inspect the item and compile a letter headed report.

The report will need to state what the fault is, cause of the fault, and whether or not it is a manufacturing fault.

The report must state if the item can be repaired or not and what the cost of repair would be and also contain company contact details.

We will cover the cost of the report up to £45 if a manufacturing fault has been found.

We will cover the cost of repair if the repair is economical (half, or less than half of the item value). If the item cannot be repaired or no repair is possible, we will then authorise a return, if the report confirms a manufacturing fault found.

If a refund or return is authorised, after we have received the report, then we will need to charge you 20% usage fee of the item as you have had the item for more one year.

So I need to find a qualified engineer who must be VAT-registered to write a report detailing what the fault is. Does one of those even exist?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    So I need to find a qualified engineer who must be VAT-registered to write a report detailing what the fault is. Does one of those even exist?!
    A typical “fob them off” response.

Let them know you’re serious:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...w-to-complain/

Trouble is non of the large retailers give a toss about consumer rights anymore, because their is no one left to enforce it, if things go tits up all you can do is sue them

Ignore Apple the rules are the same for everyone.

Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom
    https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/

Master
    I had this with an Amazon Kindle.

The conversation went along these lines...

Me: I have a fault and want a replacement, the device is dead.

Them: Warranty is one year sorry.

Me: I live in the UK, by law devices must like a reasonable amount of time, typically for electronic devices at least five years.

Them: Warranty is one year.

Me: You don't understand, in the UK warranty is irrelevant, by law you have to replace the device.

Them: Did you say the battery won't charge.

Me: No it is completely dead, battery was charged when it died.

Them: I need you to tell me the battery won't charge.

Me (cottoning on): Ok the battery won't charge.

Them: Ok I will start arranging the replacement...

Got there in the end and I'm sure if you are persistent you will too...even if you to dance a bit to get there!

Master
    Thanks chaps, I'll take some of the advice above back to them and see where I get

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ignore Apple the rules are the same for everyone.

Consumer Laws in the United Kingdom
    https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/uk/
    Apple Store manager tried to push the point that my Macbook was outside the year's warranty and I should have purchased the 2nd year !

When the repair went through - it came up as 'zero charge' and the invoice echoed that with 'no charge - UK consumer law'.

Not sure what her angle was if it wasn't going to get charged anyway!

I had a £700 laptop and the hinge failed after 2 years taking the touch screen with it. Repair cost was an uneconomical £350. It was a well known problem documented on the internet.

I bought the laptop direct from the manufacturer, and asked for a repair under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. They told me to bog off.

So, I wrote them a letter before action in the Smalls Claim Court and sent it to the legal department. The letter cited the problem with the goods, the fact that it was a common problem and I documented my evidence I was going to present in the Small Claim Court

Within two days the manufacturer was falling over themselves to repair the laptop, and one week later the laptop was sent away and return with new hinges and a new screen.

My learnings are be polite but be very persistent. 99% of people will give up if it becomes too difficult, but persevere as long as you have a good case under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Don’t waste you time if you don’t.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Apple Store manager tried to push the point that my Macbook was outside the year's warranty and I should have purchased the 2nd year !

When the repair went through - it came up as 'zero charge' and the invoice echoed that with 'no charge - UK consumer law'.

Not sure what her angle was if it wasn't going to get charged anyway!
    Sounds about right. If you kick up a fuss and you bought from Apple direct they should be fine in the end but they do make you work for it.

I only buy apple from apple or Costco due to the warranties.

Bought a mbp a few weeks back but did get applecare+ on that as it covers damage and I got it as a refurb so netted out the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds about right. If you kick up a fuss and you bought from Apple direct they should be fine in the end but they do make you work for it.

I only buy apple from apple or Costco due to the warranties.

Bought a mbp a few weeks back but did get applecare+ on that as it covers damage and I got it as a refurb so netted out the same price.
    It was bought via Apple Aberdeen who had a deal going, but when the keyboard failed - I took it to the Edinburgh store. It was repaired by putting a new 'everything' apart from the screen/lid.

Craftsman
    I bought a 4 year old Apple Watch on facebook marketplace only to find that the screen was going into a ‘spasm’ every time I tried to use it. I took it to an Apple Store and explained the situation expecting them to tell me I needed to pay for a new watch. To my surprise the employee asked if I knew my rights under the consumer rights act to which I replied ‘No’. He popped off into the back of the shop to test the watch and 10 minutes later re-emerged to let me know that they had tested the watch and confirmed that it was not repairable. He asked me to sign a form exercising those rights and duly handed over a brand new ‘sealed’ watch head whilst apologising for their faulty product. 10 out of 10 to the guy for even mentioning it and I left the store a very happy if not somewhat slightly surprised customer.