closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 7750 stem removal

Master

7750 stem removal

**Edit**

Not to worry, I've PM'd WalkerWek as I think it would be safer in his hands.

I want to remove the stem from my Fortis Chrono so I can drop the movement out to blow a couple of tiny specs of dust from under the crystal. I've viewed a YT video and it seems simple enough, but I've never done it on a 7750 before (although countless other movements.

Is there a chance I could mess up the keyless works (if the 7750 has one) or is it pretty foolproof?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Filterlab; 2nd February 2023 at 13:11.

Grand Master
    Depends how clumsy you are.

I`ve never had a problem with the keyless work on these and I`ve taken stems in and out many times. Be sure the crown is in the hand-winding position whilst removing and take it out carefully. You may need to move the crown anti-clockwise back and forth slightly too. When refitting be sure the movement is fully home in the case, that should allow the hole for the stem to line up correctly and the stem should go in easily. Be sure to depress the end of the setting lever when removing and replacing. When replacing it helps to rotate the crown very gently in an anti-clockwise direction, just move it slightly back and forth and don't press too hard if it's not going in. If the movement is held with clamps don't fully tighten them until you're happy the stem is back in and aligned correctly, if there's a movement ring be sure it isn`t fouling up on the pushers.

Use a magnifier, don't be tempted to work without regardless of how good you think your eyes are!

For removing specs of dust a small piece of clean Rodico is ideal, then give the dial a blow with a blower. Also suggest you keep the watch (minus movement dial-up and loosely refit the back to keep dust out, far easier to avoid dust getting in than trying to remove it after you've already cased the watch up!

The movement that's notorious for fouling keyless work whilst removing or refitting crowns is the ETA 2824, it can happen with the 2892 but the 2824 is the worst. Happens to the best of us occasionally!

Master
    Yes!

I've messed up an ETA 2824-2 before!

I've PM'd you mate, I'd rather pay handsomely for you to do it.