closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New car - what next after FL2?

Master

New car - what next after FL2?

Hi

With the upcoming expansion of the ULEZ zone in and around London, my wife’s Freelander 2 will fall foul of the rules and incur a charge. That means she’ll get charged when she goes to work, goes to see her mum etc. Hence, we have started the long process of thinking abou5 a new car.
    She would ideally like another LandRover product as she likes the visibility, the way they drive etc. but from the other thread, it seems that we would be taking a risk with a Discovery Sport or Evoque.

So, what else is worth looking at?

So far, I know she’d prefer a SUV style, so no estates, saloons etc. We have been out to look a few options just to get an idea of what might suit. She didn’t like the Kia Sportage, thought it was too plasticky.

Currently on the list for more exploration:
    - Jeep Grand Cherokee
    - Hyundai Tucson
    - Mitsubishi Outlander
    - Volvo XC of some type
    - Mercedes GLC

Must be automatic, with a decent level of equipment and luxury ( her words). Max budget - £20k.

Thoughts? Experience?
    Last edited by bambam; 4th February 2023 at 00:37.

I’m in the same boat…my 2010 BMW 3 series estate doesn’t comply ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    X3 great cars but you might have to up the budget to comply, but it will meet all her requirements.
    Last edited by hilly10; 1st February 2023 at 22:42.

Blog Entries
    Honda CR-V.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    X3 great cars but you might have to up the budget to comply, but it will meet all her requirements.
    She has a bit of an aversion to those, possibly because her brother has an X5. I quite like them.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Honda CR-V.
    Had a diesel version before the Freelander, so a possibility to have another.

MINI Countryman? I have the original version, Cooper S variant from 2011, and it’s been great, apart from a clutch it’s been routine servicing all the way. £20k would get a much newer one than mine with plenty of toys.

Aha. The monthly obligatory suggest me a car thread.

Every make of car suggested over about 100 posts to make you none the wiser.

Have you thought about an MX5?

Blog Entries
    Dunno about Landrover. I see the Honda dealer 1x /yr. for routine maintenance. Not more than that. (About 25-30 kms/yr).

Master
    We ran a Jeep Renegade for about 4.5yrs… bought it as approved used at about 18mths old.
    It was totally fault free the entire ownership, and seemed pretty well built.
    I hit a deer with it at around 50mph, and apart from a few minor scratches on the plastic trim, there was no damage (well, the deer was pretty messed up). The thing just seemed a solid chunky brick.
    I’d have another.

Can I ask a possibly daft question, but why does she want/need an SUV in London? Harder to park and they really don’t drive as nicely as a car, less efficient etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Can I ask a possibly daft question, but why does she want/need an SUV in London? Harder to park and they really don’t drive as nicely as a car, less efficient etc.
    Of course you can ask. We don’t live in London anymore. We first got the SUV style when we had young kids and she’s just grown to like the higher up seating position etc. Now it’s more of a preference thing, but something like the Freelander 2 is pretty comfortable and when it snows etc we’re not stuck as many others were last time round.

Just to add, we had a Grand Cherokee for about 2 weeks while on holiday in Canada and we all really liked it. It was a petrol version and not the diesel that seems to be more common here.

Fair enough. My last 2 cars have been SUV’s and I’d kind of decided my next won’t be until a recent bout of back pain tbh! I had an XC60 which was great, currently have a VW Tiguan which is not as good - it does everything very efficiently but nothing amazing. The XC60 was 4wd whilst the Tiguan is 2wd. It’s very noticeable how much better the fuel consumption is on the Tiguan, but it’s no better than our Golf on an icy road. The Volvo in comparison felt sure footed even on the worst days of the beast from the east. Good luck with the search

Skoda Karoq?

2019/2020 Mazda CX-5 Sports nav.

Look nice, drive well, and loaded with googies - heated everything and even HUD.

Craftsman
    You could stay with JLR and go for an F Pace. We have run one for 2 years and not cost us a penny other than a standard service.

We had a GLC before this and was a good car too however felt it was bad on tyre wear with needing a new set every 10k miles or so then started getting the notorious emission/ad blue sensor issues.
    Last edited by deejay; 4th February 2023 at 02:21. Reason: Add info on GLC

Blog Entries
    Bought SWMBO a Seat Ateca Xcellence Lux TSI Auto a couple of years ago, she loves it and it has been faultless!

Very generous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    You could stay with JLR and go for an F Pace. We have run one for 2 years and not cost us a penny other than a standard service.

We had a GLC before this and was a good car too however felt it was bad on tyre wear with needing a new set every 10k miles or so then started getting the notorious emission/ad blue sensor issues.
    Funny you mention the F Pace as that has crept onto the list as well. Just not sure what sort would be in budget mileage and condition wise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    2019/2020 Mazda CX-5 Sports nav.

Look nice, drive well, and loaded with googies - heated everything and even HUD.
    Will definitely have a look at the Mazda and the Seat mentioned. Something that has capability in snow, ice, bad weather is a must.

From your list I’d personally go for either the Volvo or Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Funny you mention the F Pace as that has crept onto the list as well. Just not sure what sort would be in budget mileage and condition wise.
    Ingenium!!

I have the Volvo xc60, Very impressed with the build quality, nice drive and rather nippy when need be

I’m sat in Volvo now. Just having my XC60 serviced. Love this car and will be getting an XC90 soon. The 60 will then go to my partner. I cannot fault it at all and it’s now 4 years old. Very impressed.

Master
    Lexus NX would probably fit the bill or a Toyota RAV4 if you don’t mind a slightly less impressive interior.
    We have the Tucson PHEV and find it an excellent vehicle, very frugal but enough luxury to be good for long drives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Ingenium!!
    Bugger!!!! FFS!
    Last edited by bambam; 4th February 2023 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Skoda Karoq?

Great cars, love mine and whenever it's left with the airport parking guys, they invariably tell me what a nice drive it is...the smart, budget conscious mans Audi Q3 Coming up to 5 years of ownership from new, no problems at all, done about 80,000 miles so far. In fact it drew so much envy when brand new, some nimrod keyed it the first week. High 40's to 50 mpg.
    Actually set out to support Spain and buy an Ateca but the wait time was stoopid and the bloke in the dealership wasn't helpful so went Karoq instead, glad we did!
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th February 2023 at 14:07.

Craftsman
    How many miles a year does she do , what's the typical journey length ?

MIL has a karoq, I test drove it and it’s a great car.

Wouldn’t hesitate on a Karoq, Kodiaq (might need 360 cam) or an XC60.

I’d like an X3 but it’s too expensive.