closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile manned speed camera......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They are generally the worst drivers on the road. Speed limits should be observed - end of.
    The worst drivers on the road are those who have just past their driving test. Hence very high insurance premiums.

The best drivers are the 60 pluses, especially women which is reflected in the very low insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mate got caught on his bike a few weeks back. Riding away from the camera van from a 30 limit into a 40 limit. They got him at 36.

But what really annoyed him was that I was in front of him, and kept my speed at 30 until I’d passed the 40 sign.

Edited to correct that we were going from a 40 to a 30… 🤪
    I knew an ex Motorcycle Plod who retired and went on camera vans. At the time - there was only one camera and he advised if you were speeding (on a bike) on approach to the camera - the best course of action was to accelerate fully rather than slow down - as he had to jump from the seat at the back of the van - through to the front in order to note down your plate (yes, that was legal).

Since then they have a front, rear and side fish-eye camera and you are pretty much stuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think the reference to tax is to imply the primary motivation behind some speed camera placements are clearly revenue generation rather than education/deterrent i.e. locations with low accident history/inherent danger but where motorists are most likely to unintentionally and/or temporarily exceed the limit.
    Oh, I get that, it's just a rubbish comparator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The worst drivers on the road are those who have just past their driving test. Hence very high insurance premiums.

The best drivers are the 60 pluses, especially women which is reflected in the very low insurance premiums.
    Those low premiums may also be related to relatively low milages driven.

Given you once tried to convince the forum that Posties were good drivers when we all know every PO vehicle looks like it has been banger racing, I’ll beg to differ Mick.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Those low premiums may also be related to relatively low milages driven.
    I have full comp policy with my wife as an added driver on a Honda HR-V valued at £23k with no mileage limit.

I have never had an accident or a claim in my life.

Our annual premium is £292.

I was safe when I was young and I am still safe today. I have 54 yrs NCB and that is why I am a considerably better driver than yows.

If you pay less than me and have a better record than me, I shall willingly eat humble pie.

I have full comp policy with my wife as an added driver on a Honda HR-V valued at £23k with no mileage limit.

I was safe when I was young and I am still safe today. I have 54 yrs NCB and that is why I am a considerably better driver than yows.

If you pay less than me and have a better record than me, I shall willingly eat humble pie.
    I have four cars and a motorbike all with 14 years NCB so 70 years!
    Also never GAD an accident or claim

Master
    I have continuously ridden a motorcycle for at least 45 years as I had a gap in the early seventies., therefore 99 years.

Master

Mobile manned speed camera......

I ride bikes and have done my advanced rider stuff a few times. One thing that I find helps me stay in the limit ( full disclosure , I’ve been caught twice* recently so it must work), is the discipline of making sure that I’m doing less than the speed limit sign when entering villages and checking my mirrors before I decide to change speed going into the village or accelerating out.

*One was successfully appealed as speed limit was greater than the actual speed. The second was 25 mph in a 20 zone ( major A road in London) but Mia culpa etc.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 3rd February 2023 at 22:39.

Eh? You may have missed my point, that being that older drivers may drive fewer miles therefore represent a lower risk, and that may play a part in lower premiums.

Yes, you pay less than I do. Much less, in fact. Though I own two cars, one of which is relatively sporty, and I've had a few expensive no-fault claims in recent years. This isn't a "my premium is lower than your premium" competition ;-)

Master

That’s expensive. My Porsche costs is nearly half of that, with no limit on mileage and I’m still a few years off 50.