closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marathon General Purpose Mechanical (size compared to a G10)

Craftsman

Marathon General Purpose Mechanical (size compared to a G10)

Hi all,
    Ive recently started to wear a G10 after years of owning larger heavier watches and am really enjoying the simpleness and lightness of them.
    I have a couple of false starts with them last year as was still swapping between them and my existing watches but now they are all I have.
    Currently I have a G22 automatic and a non issued G10 and am looking at the Fatboy re-issue ot maybe a mellor type case for a change.
    I have come across the Marathon general purpose mechanical and really like the case shape and the tritium vials on the face/hands.
    Does anyone here own a marathon GPM? What are they like in the real world? All the sites Ive seen them on make them out to be 'soo small' or 'ideal for small wrists'
    My wrists are 7.75" but am now used to the G10 size so if similar it wont be an issue.
    Has anyone got both, if so, would you be able to put up a few pics as I cant find a side by side comparison anywhere.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Yep have both a G10, the mechanical Marathons in both steel and plastic
    Give me a bit of time and I will put pictures up.
    Currently bored on a teams meeting!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep have both a G10, the mechanical Marathons in both steel and plastic
    Give me a bit of time and I will put pictures up.
    I know your pain lol
    What do you think of the GPM? maybe a bit high priced? So will probably put a wanted ad up/find a used one if I can.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Rob

Marathon General Purpose Mechanical (size compared to a G10)

So teams meetings are over for 30 mins
    As requested a quick and dirty comparison of the CWC G10 and the Marathon General Purpose (GP) mechanical with an earlier Marathon GP also mechanical.

General sizes are similar
    Both both G10 and the GP are 36mm across
    The CWC has a lug to lug of 42
    The GP’s lug to lug is 44
    Lug with on the G10 is 19mm worn on a 18mm strap
    Lug width on both the Marathons is 16mm

The thickness is deceptive
    G10 - 10.3mm without the strap
    GP - 10.5 without strap, but looking at the photos or on the wrist, you would not have thought they were that close. The domed crystal on the G10 really adds to the thickness when measured but disappears when worn. It might just be the greatest optical illusion in watch making history.

Convenient battery hatch on the G10, standard screw case back on the GP, non serviceable case on the plastic fantastic. (This has been changed on the more recent plastic GPs to a screw in)

Plastic crystal on the G10 and plastic fantastic, sapphire on the GP - this, the trit tubes and mechanical movement add a fair bit of weight when on the wrist (they are all small light watches though - the GP is just heavier) the kitchen scales are dead so I can’t weight them!

They are all tritium dials so age plays a part in lume glow, the camera is much more sensitive than my peepers so this is exaggerated but you get the idea
    All are visible when eyes are dark adjusted but the GP is brightest.
    For clarity the G10 is from 2006(left), plastic fantastic from 1991 (right) and GP is approx 2 years old. (Middle)

All in all they are pretty similar watches, the G10 and GP are both 30 meter rated for water resistance, I would be surprised if the black watch ever had a rating although the US mil spec calls for 30 atm.
    The both wear very similar but the increased weight and narrower strap means the GP feels a little more unbalanced on the wrist where as we all know you totally forget about a G10. The GP does move about a bit more when worn.
    I tend to wear the GP more than the G10 but none of the watches shown are worn more than a couple of days a year if I am honest, I prefer others. (The black GP and my SandY 490 have not been worn for close to 10 years if I am really honest)

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st February 2023 at 17:23.

Craftsman
    It really does, thank you.
    To me the GPM and G10 look to be fairly close dimension wise looking head on.
    Would you say they both wear similarly?

Craftsman
    Nice review and interesting to see the the 'illusion' of thickness between the G10 & the GP.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    It really does, thank you.
    To me the GPM and G10 look to be fairly close dimension wise looking head on.
    Would you say they both wear similarly?
    I would say the CWC is more comfortable to wear, as I wrote the GP moves about on the wrist as a result of the extra weight and narrow strap.
    Neither are uncomfortable though.

Great comparison photos! I was looking at the Marathons myself recently. Have to say though, the G10 just remains an absolute favourite here and like the OP I’m not really wearing any other watch.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Currently I have a G22 automatic and a non issued G10 and am looking at the Fatboy re-issue ot maybe a mellor type case for a change.
    As food for thought, the thicker case of the Fatboy really works for me, but the Mellor case is slimmer and wears more like the profile of a G10.

This was me this morning. One and a half hours of nothing.

EDIT: I should add, I've been considering a Marathon so was interested in the thread. I had a 40mm SAR years ago and should never have sold it. It was a belter and like hen's teeth now.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 1st February 2023 at 22:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    As food for thought, the thicker case of the Fatboy really works for me, but the Mellor case is slimmer and wears more like the profile of a G10.
    I should have bought your spare reissue last year when you offered it to me but the time wasn’t quite right.
    I will definitely pick one up soon though but the Marathon has caught my eye atm

- - - Updated - - -

I would say the CWC is more comfortable to wear, as I wrote the GP moves about on the wrist as a result of the extra weight and narrow strap.
    Neither are uncomfortable though.
    Thanks again for your reply’s and photos, much appreciated

I had a Marathon General Purpose (GP) mechanical for a while and my main gripe was the 16mm lugs. I found that 18mm perlon works well for more wrist presence. 18mm braided nylon full Nato with blasted hardware was my favourite. I thought I had pictures but I cannot find them.

By the way, I loved the watch. It's like a little jewell sitting on the wrist.
    Last edited by abraxas; 2nd February 2023 at 17:28.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973