closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Telegraph article on changes in luxury watch world

Telegraph article on changes in luxury watch world

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/...-luxury-world/

The DT has an article today about the supply, demand and pricing of luxury watches.

If you're not a subscriber I think you can read a number of articles for free if you register. Someone may be able to post a link to an archive site which enables wider access. (I wouldn't know how to do that myself!)

Like pretty much all these types of journalism, it's full of half truths and includes the obligatory clever dick who has apparently made great profits through his alleged acumen. Worth a read if only for a bit of fun ..

Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    ...The DT has an article today about the supply, demand and pricing of luxury watches....

...Someone may be able to post a link to an archive site which enables wider access...
    https://archive.is/BfGgI
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/...-luxury-world/

The DT has an article today about the supply, demand and pricing of luxury watches.
    Thanks for the heads up

@jwg663 - and thanks for the link - that’s a useful resource.

I thought it was a nice enough article which preci’d much of which is going on in the market. Particularly nice that our hero, John, is pleased that the market is deflating back into the hands of collectors (together with realisation that it’s not there yet!) despite him losing money on his stock.
    Miserable story about the robbing inside Harrods though, and the reinforcement of the three cities not to wear a nice watch.

My take away was the pleasant end to the story whereby John is preparing a Tudor for his daughter in later life by wearing it during their time together.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Thanks for the heads up

I thought it was a nice enough article which preci’d much of which is going on in the market. Particularly nice that our hero, John, is pleased that the market is deflating back into the hands of collectors (together with realisation that it’s not there yet!) despite him losing money on his stock.
    Miserable story about the robbing inside Harrods though, and the reinforcement of the three cities not to wear a nice watch.

My take away was the pleasant end to the story whereby John is preparing a Tudor for his daughter in later life by wearing it during their time together.
    I have to confess that the only Rolex I wear is the very plain Explorer1. The others remain in the safe. It is far too risky walking around with the typical flashy Rolex.

Master
    Thanks for the heads up

I agree about the father daughter story, also how quaint is the link to Pragnells to pick up an Aquanaut at list :)

Thanks for posting
    Last edited by higham5; 4th February 2023 at 22:12.

The article quotes the views of a watch dealer in Miami but I'm not clear how he would be an expert on this or why he hit on London, Los Angeles and Paris as luxury watch no-go cities over say Barcelona or Rome, amongst others. The basis of his opinion isn't disclosed and personally I'm sceptical.

I've often worn Rolex in London over a period of years without feeling at risk but obviously there are occasions and areas here as no doubt in all cities (including Miami) where it would be wiser to wear something less valuable.