closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When to have a watch serviced.

Master

When to have a watch serviced.

My GO Panorama Date Senator Moon is coming up to 5 years old now. Working fine so should I have it serviced or wait until it gives problems? Given the cost of a general clean being a bit steep it probably wouldn’t cost much more to have a part replaced sometime down the road. What to do?

Craftsman
    when it loses 5+ seconds a day.

my dad is 94 he has his Omega when he was 18, it's been service 3 times and runs good he wears it every day without fail.

I got my Omega when I was 21, I am 54 had it serviced once, runs fine ie on time.

PS I don't use snake oil watch winders so none of my other watches have been serviced as they sit not moving.

I would say if you wear it and it keeps time every 10 years, if it loses 5+ seconds get it done early. If you go by manafactures get it done every 5 years.

Grand Master
    The generally accepted criteria is a fall in amplitude, but that’s not much help for most people. It also helps to know what the amplitude ought to be for the movement in question. Visually inspecting the train wheel jewels with a strong magnifier will show whether the oil is sticky and dried up, another indicator that the watch needs re- oiling.

If a watch is worn frequently its likely to need servicing every 5-7 years. However, the only 100% certain way to tell the condition is to strip the movement down!

I’m a strong believer in NOT storing a watch on a watch winder, especially if the watch is an old one where parts are scarce and expensive.

Master
    I subscribe to regular servicing and send my watches in everY five years. I do only have three watches though so it is affordable for me.

If I had many more watches my practice could be different!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post

If I had many more watches my practice could be different!
    As the proud owner of 24, servicing them myself is a big plus!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    As the proud owner of 24, servicing them myself is a big plus!
    Yes, I see how that could be useful.

Journeyman
    I'm trying to convince my self that having a healthy rotation across 4-5 watches should push out the need for servicing.. as my speedmaster reaches the ripe age of 6 yrs, maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    I'm trying to convince my self that having a healthy rotation across 4-5 watches should push out the need for servicing.. as my speedmaster reaches the ripe age of 6 yrs, maybe it's just wishful thinking.
    You don’t need to convince yourself, I’ll do it for you! I remain firmly convinced that a watch kept in storage ( not running) won’t need servicing as frequently as one that’s worn daily, my own experience bears this out. If a watch us an occasional wearer it’ll probably be fine after 10 years or more. Provided it was oiled correctly with synthetic lubricants and epilame in the right places it should be OK. The more a watch is worn the sooner it’ll need service, that’s my belief based on experience and it’s one reason why I’m dead against watch winders.

Here’s an example: In 2004 I got a Speedmaster Reduced as a 30 year long service gift from work. Over the years it was worn sparingly, typically 3-4 weeks per year. In 2021 I finally got around to servicing it, amplitude was still 280 degrees and I’d had to regulate it once, the watch was still running fairly well but given the age it made sense to strip it down. I inspected the jewels to assess the state of lubrication, despite some deterioration it was mostly still present and liquid. After service the amplitude improved to around 300 degrees, mainly due to the fresh lubrication to the pallet jewels which had dried up somewhat.

Contrast this with a few 7-8 yr old SMP models running the same basic movement, watches I serviced after having led ‘busy’ lives. Typical amplitude was 230-240 degrees, with evidence of dried up lubricant, these watches benefitted greatly from being serviced. Clearly, 7 years was possibly too long for these whilst 17 years was OK for my sparingly worn watch.

I rest my case!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    You don’t need to convince yourself, I’ll do it for you! I remain firmly convinced that a watch kept in storage ( not running) won’t need servicing as frequently as one that’s worn daily, my own experience bears this out. If a watch us an occasional wearer it’ll probably be fine after 10 years or more. Provided it was oiled correctly with synthetic lubricants and epilame in the right places it should be OK. The more a watch is worn the sooner it’ll need service, that’s my belief based on experience and it’s one reason why I’m dead against watch winders.

Here’s an example: In 2004 I got a Speedmaster Reduced as a 30 year long service gift from work. Over the years it was worn sparingly, typically 3-4 weeks per year. In 2021 I finally got around to servicing it, amplitude was still 280 degrees and I’d had to regulate it once, the watch was still running fairly well but given the age it made sense to strip it down. I inspected the jewels to assess the state of lubrication, despite some deterioration it was mostly still present and liquid. After service the amplitude improved to around 300 degrees, mainly due to the fresh lubrication to the pallet jewels which had dried up somewhat.

Contrast this with a few 7-8 yr old SMP models running the same basic movement, watches I serviced after having led ‘busy’ lives. Typical amplitude was 230-240 degrees, with evidence of dried up lubricant, these watches benefitted greatly from being serviced. Clearly, 7 years was possibly too long for these whilst 17 years was OK for my sparingly worn watch.

I rest my case!
    I couldn't have asked for better insight honestly. Thank you very much.

I envy your servicing experience. Maybe once I've got enough time to commit to it, I could start learning more about it myself.

Master
    How come the Oris Calibre 400 has a recommended 10 year service interval?

I am no expert but with the Oris I believe it is down to some the use of clever synthetic materials around the highest wear parts that reduces the work of the lubricants.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ant8519 View Post
    I am no expert but with the Oris I believe it is down to some the use of clever synthetic materials around the highest wear parts that reduces the work of the lubricants.
    Frankly Oris are no better or worse than the rest and I remain unconvinced that they're using different materials for the escapement parts, balance pivots and jewels. Epilame treatment of certain parts together with careful application of the correct lubricants is the key, that apples to any watch.