closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smith’s and Ernest Shackelton

Smith’s and Ernest Shackelton

Having read the book about the recent discovery of the ship Endurance that was found in remarkable condition, I was fascinated to find that the ship used a series of Smith’s chronometers for navigation and that a Smith’s chronometer was kept on a cord around the neck of Captain Worsley and used by Shackelton to aid Worsley in navigation during their desperate attempt for help when leaving Elephant Island to sail to the nearest whaling station to seek rescue for the rest of his men.
    Eddie was unaware of this incredible association with Smith’s but after some research kindly sent me some information about the chronometer which is now in the Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge.

https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/sh...rticles/n999a/

Last edited by ODP; 31st January 2023 at 21:19.

Brave men indeed - a well presented short version of the expedition with a Smiths watch in the focus to boot - thanks for the link
    Keith

Pleasure. Smith’s does have an exceptional pedigree, from Everest to the Antarctic!

They had an illustrious history. Pretty sure Scott's S Smith & Sons 30hr pocket watch (movement by Emil Nielson if memory serves) is at the RMG.

Just found a Smiths advert (from the BHI's HJ, June 1945) re Scott and Shackleton in the Antarctic:

Smiths of England Milestones Series No4 (C) BHI-AHS

Images courtesy of the AHS and BHI.
    Last edited by Broussard; 3rd February 2023 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    They had an illustrious history. Pretty sure Scott's S Smith & Sons 30hr pocket watch (movement by Emil Nielson if memory serves) is at the RMG.
    https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/ob...-object-212311

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Having read the book about the recent discovery of the ship Endurance that was found in remarkable condition, I was fascinated to find that the ship used a series of Smith’s chronometers for navigation and that a Smith’s chronometer was kept on a cord around the neck of Captain Worsley and used by Shackelton to aid Worsley in navigation during their desperate attempt for help when leaving Elephant Island to sail to the nearest whaling station to seek rescue for the rest of his men.
    Eddie was unaware of this incredible association with Smith’s but after some research kindly sent me some information about the chronometer which is now in the Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge. This book is excellent for coloring. I enjoy reading books from many genres. It may be helpful for doing schoolwork, I suppose. From my own experience, I can attest that becoming is not simple. Additionally, I lately had to prepare paper help and had no idea how to accomplish it well. So I looked for resources to help me study well and get a decent grade.
    I can tell you from me how you can find a tutor without any problems or difficulties. I will also try to help and give some advice on this subject. For example, it helped me that I found math tutors in London and I was able to immediately get a very good knowledge of mathematics, which was especially valuable to me. A good professional tutor is many times better than any book or textbook. So if you are looking, there are a lot of them here and there will be plenty of choices. Good luck.
    Last edited by bobocat; 26th March 2023 at 14:00.

I assume, and hope, the book you're referring to is: The Ship Beneath the Ice - The Discovery of Shackleton's Endurance as I've bought this to read when I get the opportunity and it's good to hear recommendations. Most will probably have already seen the website, some fantastic pictures of an amazingly well preserved ship.

Endurance22.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I assume, and hope, the book you're referring to is: The Ship Beneath the Ice - The Discovery of Shackleton's Endurance as I've bought this to read when I get the opportunity and it's good to hear recommendations. Most will probably have already seen the website, some fantastic pictures of an amazingly well preserved ship.

Endurance22.

Yes, that the book

I’ve mentioned to Eddie that perhaps a Shackelton Smiths watch would be worthy of consideration!
    Fingers crossed.