closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nikon DX Macro recommendation

Nikon DX Macro recommendation

*Cross posted to the DP forum*

I would like to take better watch pictures, and thought a macro lens on my D7200 DX body might be one way forward.

Would anyone care to suggest some options? Budget up to about £350, but happy with pre-owned too

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 60mm f/2.8 AF-D Micro. An old lens but extremely well made and available used from around £150. For watch close ups I always use a good tripod, manual focus and a remote release but lighting is the most critical factor, along with lots of patience.

Nikon also did a 105mm version which is probably better for getting further away, so you're not casting either reflections or shadows on your subject.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thanks

I’m stalking eBay now :)

D

MPB have a few examples of the 105mm version, in excellent condition, for £249.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/ni...m-f-2-8d-micro

The advantage of buying from them is there's free returns if you don't like it/get on with it.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    I use a 60mm f/2.8 AF-D Micro. An old lens but extremely well made and available used from around £150. For watch close ups I always use a good tripod, manual focus and a remote release but lighting is the most critical factor, along with lots of patience.

Nikon also did a 105mm version which is probably better for getting further away, so you're not casting either reflections or shadows on your subject.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Agreed, I’d definitely be leaning towards the 105mm.

Even on a DX Tony? There is a 1.6 multiplier, although you know vastly more than me!

D

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Even on a DX Tony? There is a 1.6 multiplier, although you know vastly more than me!

D

Sorry, Dave, I was indeed assuming FF - it’s been so many years since I switched that my brain doesn’t automatically engage on such things. Also, I know nothing about Nikon, which doesn’t help.

I would have thought you’d be fine with the 60mm in that case.

Edit: The table Martyn posted below would still push me towards the 105mm. However, whether you need 1:1 reproduction ratio is obviously up to you, as I suspect you're looking for close-up (as opposed to true macro) capability.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th January 2023 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

I would have thought you’d be fine with the 60mm in that case.
    Thanks Tony!

D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post

Cheers,
    Gary
    I use the even older Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AF-D with my D300 Nikon DX. Either this, which is still one of the sharpest lenses Nikon ever made and should be able to be had for slightly less than the 60mm, or the 60mm in either AF-D or AF-S flavour would be a good choice. Just remember before you think about spending more on the AF-S version that as Omegary suggests, best macro results are usually obtained by manually focusing.

Blog Entries
    I always used my Nikkor 105mm f2.8D micro lens with a tripod for macro shots first on DX (D200, D300) then on FX (D700 then D850). - now all sold!

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/ni...m-f-2-8d-micro. - for example.

This is an alternative DX only lens which will be smaller and lighter

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/ni...or-40mm-f-2-8g

Use manual focus and manual exposure and a heavy tripod and cable release (or delay shutter) and light box. Or alternatively use flash and hand held to freeze the action - like this:

this table may be useful - the 105mm allows for 1:1 when about 1ft away whereas the 60mm is about 6 inches so may get shadows on the watch etc.

Lens Reproduction Ratio Closest Focus
    AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G 1:1 (life size) 6.4 in.
    AF Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8D 1:1 (life size) 8 3/4 in.
    AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED 1:1 (life size) 0.6 ft.
    AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR 1:1 (life size) 0.9 ft.
    AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED 1:1 (life size) 1 ft.
    AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm f/4D IF-ED 1:1 (life size) 19.4 in.
    PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED 1:2 (half life size) 0.83 ft.
    PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D 1:2 (half life size) 1.3 ft.
    Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/2.8 1:2 (half life size) 0.9 ft.
    Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8 1:2 (half life size) 1.34 ft.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th January 2023 at 23:22.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    I used a 105mm macro on a DX body, and it worked beautifully.

Any of the macro lenses are capable of great results though, whatever focal length.

Some non macro Nikon lenses are pretty good at close up photography as well, I wouldn’t discount extension tubes or close up filters either, usually a lot more cost effective than a macro lens.

The 105 is excellent and also an excellent portrait lens, so has some versatility.

Chris

A macro lens is not an absolutely necessity for watch c/u pix. I have acquired lots of macro lenses over many years but my 'grab and go' close-up combo is a fixed zoom APS-C camera, fitted with a supplementary achromatic (doublet) close-up lens

These pix were taken at the 46mm (70mm FF equivalent) zoom setting with 4.92 diopter supplementary close-up lens attached to the lens' filter thread:

Decent lighting is more important than the lens used - as is camera and subject support.

The finest macro lens wiil not enable good pix without good lighting and subject / camera support

I use ancient (c. 1970s) Leitz Elpro achromatic supplementary c/u lenses bought s/h for a few ££ each ; they have Series VI and 55mm threads but can be adapted via stepping rings to any kit / standard zoom lens or short telephoto .

Above pix utilised a Leitz Elpro VIb c/u lens but I could have used an Elpro 2 (both 4.92 diopter) . All pix taken using kitchen window daylight and a light tent with reflectors

A Raynox DCR 150 supp c/u lens (4.8 diopter) does the same job and can often be purchased s/h on eBay or from dealers for c.£35 ... and new c. £60 .

Raynox c/u lenses can be 'clipped' onto most kit zoom lens. When unscrewed from the 'clip' the actual lens has a 43mm filter thread

They're surprisingly versatile, very cost effective, and very easy to use.

And it's good practice when photographing watches to use manual focus with magnified live view – rather than rely on AF

BW, dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th January 2023 at 23:51.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    60mm 2.8D as previously stated on. DX body will be ideal. As an ex pro of 26 years working in the science sector it was a lens I used daily over all
    Those years and at current secondhand prices they are a total bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    60mm 2.8D as previously stated on. DX body will be ideal. As an ex pro of 26 years working in the science sector it was a lens I used daily over all
    That lens arrived yesterday and it’s amazing! I’ve gone a bit mad with it. The madness seems to have extended to off camera flash, a second flash, and I’m now looking at how to construct diffusers and reflectors. I’m devouring some of Ming Thein’s writings on the subject. Early days, but I’m very impressed with the lens, and a bargain for what it is.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    As you said Kevin, the 60mm f2.8D is one of the best bargains you will ever find, I paid £120 for mine about 8 years ago and it was indistinguishable from new. As far as Nikon DX goes, one of the best value and sharpest lenses you will find is the ‘standard’ 35mm f1.8.

I had the 60mm but upgraded to the Nikkor 105mm f2.8. Both very good & the 60mm is a bit of a bargain.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    you said that you want to take watch images

a MF lens using a simple "stacking" approach will give you the best detail

MF/stacking will allow you to really control the DOF

I've used all of Nikon lens mentioned above - 105mm, 60mm, 55mm and even the 300mm f2.8 for close up/macro work

but now I mainly use the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO for most of my "still" shots - flowers, insects and similar

At a minimum cost I'd buy the old MF Nikon 55mm f3.5, (full description on the lens is Micro-NIKKOR-P Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm) - great value for money if you can find a good copy - start with this lens - light you subject properly and take care with exact focusing

(at really close distances AF won't give you the accuracy that MF will give you)
    Last edited by BillN; 2nd February 2023 at 19:32.