closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko have done a "Moonswatch"

Seiko have done a "Moonswatch"

Seiko have made resin cased versions of their Seiko 5 dive watch.

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the SRPG series: https://5seeker.com/?s=&tax_1=case-m...tax_5=&feat_5=

This is the blue version (SRPG75K) but there are other colour versions - more subdued than the Moonswatch colours though.

It has a case width of 39 mm, a thickness of 12.4 mm, a lug-to-lug distance of 45.4 mm and a lug width of just 18 mm. So a bit smaller than their usual fare.

It has the Seiko caliber 4R36 automatic movement featuring date and day complications, and a water resistance of 10 bar (100 meters).

Now for the catch - they're only available in far east markets, which includes Australia. Unlike the Moonswatch they seem to have resorted to discounting to shift them!

Reduced from A$399 to A$249: https://starbuy.com.au/seiko-5-sport...watch-srpg75k/

As reviewed on “Just one more watch” a little while back. Worth a look if you are interested.

I don't really get this. Seiko already make very cheap watches that look virtually the same as these, but out of more substantial materials, and yet similar cost. Moonswatch is a different ballgame, being a very cheap (relatively) version of a much more expensive watch.

Not sure what the purpose is of these Seikos therefore in terms of market appeal?

Perhaps nice for young people who may want to wear a watch like dads/mums but lighter ?

Amuses me how companies try lots of different ways to produce a plastic cased watch without actually calling it plastic! - tie one that makes me chuckle hardest is Breitlings ‘Breitlight’ - I’m sure someone will come along and say it’s some blend of secret carbon fibre and ‘bio ceramic architecture’ - but it’s getting a bit like those women’s face creams that include a made up techy word like ‘micro cellular water’ or whatever. Come on guys. It’s plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Perhaps nice for young people who may want to wear a watch like dads/mums but lighter ?
    Maybe, though I'd imagine if they're at the age where a metal watch is too heavy, their wrists probably can't really carry the 39mm case size. Once they can carry the 39mm case size, I don't imagine metal is too weighty.

Craftsman
    Not really a fan of plastic watches but for that price I’m sure they’ll sell them in large numbers to the Seiko collectors.

Master
    As Hugh says, why?! Were it a plastic mm300 then maybe... Maybe... But a plastic Seiko 5 for the same cost as a steel seiko 5, just..... Why?

I genuinely like that design. One thing that puts me off the mainstream Seiko divers is the 22mm lugs on a 42mm watch. The MM300 has 20mm lugs and looks perfect (as does probably my all-time favourite watch, the 1163 Autavia). 39mm/18mm is pretty much ideal (although 40mm/20mm really would be), if only they made one in brushed steel. And didn't charge a fortune for it. I do think every time Seiko designs almost all their watches they do them to perfection and then panic and stick something on to mess up the look or symmetry: the date at 4, a power reserve dial, dodgy writing, lug width too big or any combination of the above. You can imagine the conversation here

'Look boss, here's the perfect version of our classic diver, 40mm, 20mm lugs, no date, tasteful font, none of that silly new logo'

'Wait, what are you thinking? We can't sell something like that! Go away and change the dimensions, and the...'
    "A man of little significance"