closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Original” 1990s Tag F1 watches

“Original” 1990s Tag F1 watches

Can someone please fill me in on the history of the “original” ? 1990s Tag Formula 1 watches.
    What to look for when buying etc
    As per web pic below.
    Not sure on what sizes were available but I know of at least 2 sizes.
    A mans size at around 35mm? And a smaller ladies size,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vRSG60; 28th January 2023 at 12:41.

Master
    These are absolutely great fun watches. I bought loads of these when I first got into watches 15 or so years ago (back then £50-£100 bought you a decent one!).

You're correct on sizes - 28mm and 34mm (36mm with crown) were the order of the day.
    Buying - auction (ebay seems the best route).
    What to look for - decent bezel and strap. Aftermarket and NOS parts can still be had for most models though.

These are all steel/plastic models so really not the most durable, and bearing in mind the first gen are 37 years old you'll pay a premium for good ones.

I've long lusted after the bright orange/grey model but never found a good example. I had the black and blue one though, loved that watch!

Here is a fantastic link to a history of the early F1 models; https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&ur...AAAAAdAAAAABAK
    Last edited by kevkojak; 28th January 2023 at 13:20.

Funnily enough, I’ve been watching ’Lucky’on Discovery +, documentary of F1 through Bernie Eccelstones eyes, fascinating to get the insight from someone at the top, loads of footage I hadn’t seen, when it came to the 80s, there were loads of these seen in the pit footage, obviously because they were a major sponsor at the time .
    Last edited by JasonM; 28th January 2023 at 15:22.

Thanks to you both.

Sold one just like that in this forum about 10 years ago for £100 - mine had a full lume dial though. Was a great watch. Still have my wife’s ladies version in a drawer but the movement has seized. 200m WR with a push pull crown!

Craftsman
    I got this one in 1990. It came on an orange strap but I bought the bracelet for it at some point in the 90s. It’s not seen much action in the last 20 odd years but I put a battery in it about 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still going.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    I got this one in 1990. It came on an orange strap but I bought the bracelet for it at some point in the 90s. It’s not seen much action in the last 20 odd years but I put a battery in it about 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still going.

My next question was going to be, any shocks (no pun intended) in store for a battery change?

My interest in F1s was rejuvinated yesterday evening when a couple I know both sported F1 ladies & mens version in the pub.

The ladies watch ticked over 3 or 4 seconds indicating the battery was on it's way out, I sort of suggested I'd be able to replace the battery assuming it was the usual simple job of simply unscrewing the back and popping in a new battery. She never wears it in water so wasn't particularly bothered about waterproof testing.
    I know from my Mudmaster experience that it can go wrong on some watches.

Craftsman
    No surprises, it was the usual simple job with this one.

Thanks.

Master
    I own one that is very similar to the model pictured, the only difference being the script on my bezel is all white. Mine is from 1996 iirc, bought for me by my then gf, now ex wife. I wore it daily for many years, loved it, but it feels small to me now (funnily that was what she said to me also). Still have it stashed away somewhere, box and papers etc, as I've always kept that sort of thing.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I had one in the early 90s. Yellow face with a black bezel. Cost me £140 new with a mate using a staff discount card in some shop he worked in. Served me well for years until the battery went whilst travelling in New Zealand in 2000. Bought a Seiko SKX171 (which I still have), and remember putting the Tag F1 in the bin outside the watch shop .

Got this from eBay some years ago, think it's a 2006 model. In absolutely perfect condition. Probably verging into Marmite country but it's a firm favourite in the collection.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Last edited by sish101; 28th January 2023 at 21:08.

Master
    I’ve got one in blue with black bezel and strap. It stopped so I got a battery change and then it stopped again 3 months later. I should probably see if will work. It had a new crystal and bezel at one point due to an unfortunate stag weekend episode :-)

Love these. Bought one with my first months pay back in 1995… £195 from HL Browns Sheffield! Still have it and works like a dream, like it so much I bought another from eBay last year…

My original one is black bezel / luminous face, new one all black.

They seem to be getting more popular again as a few podcasters / influencers have them. The early plastic bodied versions are rarer and quite sought after. Later metal body with orange always popular because of the Senna link.

Bezels can get damaged easily and the rubber straps often wear, both fairly easy to source on eBay.

Next question. Is it easy enough to polish the crystal?

They're mineral crystal so quite hard to polish I'd have thought.

I've had loads of these over the years, only have 2 today and my wife wears those.

Got a couple of the chronos, perfect size and thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Next question. Is it easy enough to polish the crystal?
    It's much easier to replace the crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0 View Post
    It's much easier to replace the crystal.
    OK thanks, not something I've ever done.

Craftsman
    I bought a 1991 F1 about 5 years ago, which had a new crystal and bezel installed prior to me buying it.
    As my wrists are 6.25” circumference, the 35mm? diameter works really well and the brushed jubilee bracelet feels comfort too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quite a few on EBay, varying cost & condition. You'd think the seller would at least clean the crud of it!
    Some right tat too.

A mate of mine has 2, one has no strap, needs a battery & the crystal & bezel are far from perfect, he wants £100. I've not seen it but he did send a picture. I'll get him to send a close up.

Last edited by vRSG60; 30th January 2023 at 20:33.

Like many Heuer or Tag branded watches of this era there are Zodiac branded versions out there. I they are not that common though.
    There are a cool little watch, especially the full lumed versions
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st January 2023 at 07:53.

Master
    My 2 young sons have had one each for years. Ideal size for young kids. The bracelets don’t go small enough though so put them on NATOs.
    Not many of their mates have an analogue which is a sign of the times I suppose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Got this from eBay some years ago, think it's a 2006 model. In absolutely perfect condition. Probably verging into Marmite country but it's a firm favourite in the collection.

Love that.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

It’s a bit to far gone for £100
    By the time I’d have added a bracelet, crystal (assuming I was capable) , battery & a bezel it’d be a £400+ watch.
    I can get a refurbished one for £300+

My first decent watch was one of these. Full lume dial on the bracelet. Loved that watch. This thread has got me all nostalgic and I find myself scanning Ebay etc. Prices seem to be all over but it has still got me thinking about going down memory lane...

Were these ever faked because I seem to remember that a lot of other TAG's were at the time?

It’s a bit to far gone for £100
    By the time I’d have added a bracelet, crystal (assuming I was capable) , battery & a bezel it’d be a £400+ watch.
    I can get a refurbished one for £300+
    Personally, I'd leave the bezel as it is, change the battery and crystal, and put it on a vintage style rubber strap. If it was less than the asking price, it would be a nice piece of nostalgia on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post

Were these ever faked because I seem to remember that a lot of other TAG's were at the time?
    In the 90s, I seem to remember the world was awash with fake TAGs - there were as many fake TAGs as fake Rolexs! Mostly acquired for a fiver abroad and many had only the vaguest similarity to actual TAG watches!

Here’s mine, bought with my first full time pay packet from my Christmas job at Dixons. Bought in 1999, was reduced from £250 to £175. I was a fan as my uncle and aunt had the rubber strap versions in the 80’s!

Desperately needs a new Crystal, bezel and a good clean!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Desperately needs a new Crystal, bezel and a good clean!
    The bezel looks fine to me. To my eyes, a crisp new bezel on a vintage F1 just doesn't quite look right. Definitely needs a new crystal and clean, though. Nice example.

Well, torn between steel or resin case but I’ve taken the plunge. I’ll put some pics up when I receive it .

Looking forward to your arrival (hoping it’s a resin!), they’re great fun watches.

Is is resin, and it’s very yellow

Maybe not to everyone’s taste but I like it.

That is a great colorway. I got mine in 1996, my first proper watch. Needs a new glass but works as it should.

Master

Have to say I love that

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Don’t remember a yellow one but that looks cool.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love the old F1's. They were my grail when I got into watches in the 90s.

Thanks all.
    Nice Jamie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    That is a great colorway. I got mine in 1996, my first proper watch. Needs a new glass but works as it should.

Par for the course - bezel worn down to illegibility! They must have made them out of very soft plastic!

Blimey, these things are like buses , 2 at once

Haha I'd have taken a punt on that at £100.

Out of interest, what size is your wrist?

I’ll check when I get home in pub atm

6.5” inch 165mm

I had one of those and it was absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post

6.5” inch 165mm

Blog Entries
    Not an F1, but in the same era bought perfect Heuer 1000 I think, pvd black, even the face I think, black steel bracelet, from a second hand jewellery shop in Darlington.
    I sort of recall the guy saying it was a commanders watch, no's.
    May be wrong.
    Anyway it cost me £150.
    Lost it a couple of years later on the Cleveland way.

Had that exact watch and an orange one I believe. Also the steel cased one on a green version of that strap with matching bezel. The fibreglass cased ones - I think that’s how they were marketed - were £79, the metal cased still on rubber straps were £99. A few years later the metal cased/bracelet versions were £179. Can’t remember ever breaking one, in fact my dad still has a metal cased version as his everyday watch which I brought him as a present decades ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Had that exact watch and an orange one I believe. Also the steel cased one on a green version of that strap with matching bezel. The fibreglass cased ones - I think that’s how they were marketed - were £79, the metal cased still on rubber straps were £99. A few years later the metal cased/bracelet versions were £179. Can’t remember ever breaking one, in fact my dad still has a metal cased version as his everyday watch which I brought him as a present decades ago.
    Reminds you exactly how much TAG have jacked their prices up. Back in the 80s/90s, for the average (young) man in the street, TAGs were a bit pricier than the average Seiko or whatever, but within reach for those who were interested in something a bit upmarket. Nowadays, they seem to charge 4 figure sums for any of their products (which don't look that different to back then), but such prices are just way out of reach for most.

Yep. Like every brand. Lots of people on this forum will tell you that watches have always been expensive/aspirational but the truth is they were relatively a lot cheaper in the past. I had lots of Tag Heuers in the 80’s and progressed to Speedmasters and Submariners etc but they were very affordable and available back then. I didn’t have a particularly fancy job in my early 20’s but had a watch collection that would be the envy of the current instagram generation. Funny thing is the technology hasn’t really changed and I actually prefer the older designs to the modern stuff that has to be a bit shinier and flashier to justify the expense. But this is already in various posts on the forum!

Craftsman

Fantastic value watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk