closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Super Racing

Craftsman

Omega Speedmaster Super Racing

Omega Speedmaster Super Racing with a new balance spring that allows 0/+2 seconds of accuracy.

Thoughts?

Craftsman
    "Discover the first watch in the world to include OMEGA’s Spirate™ System, with a revolutionary new spiral that allows for ultra-fine rate adjustments to achieve certified precision of only 0/+2 seconds a day. Look closely. This visual tribute to OMEGA’s 2013 anti-magnetic masterpiece offers a clear view of the new mechanism through the sapphire crystal caseback."

The standard Master Chronometer models keeps superb time so this is a bonus I guess.

https://relozo.com/omega-premiers-th...-super-racing/

Last edited by j111dja; 26th January 2023 at 18:22.

I'm sure we'll see better quality images than this one but looks like a cracker.....I'm sure they'll add a super premium pay for all that R&D which gives us that accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I'm sure we'll see better quality images than this one but looks like a cracker.....I'm sure they'll add a super premium pay for all that R&D which gives us that accuracy.
    Yep

The watch will be priced at*CHF10,200 / USD$11,000 / AUD$17,375

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Master
    Pfff, I always loved the Omega Speedmasters and Seamasters, but this is getting too expensive…

Impressive but expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jsong6688 View Post
    Impressive but expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Cheaper than a Daytona !

Impressive but the Pro is a better looking watch to my eye. I can’t say I would pick this over the standard Pro
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 26th January 2023 at 21:43.

£10,700 eh? Mmmm

Too expensive and too big.

Was chatting to a dealer in York yesterday. Some of the prices are getting a bit ‘aspirational’. They’re clearly pushing forward to close the gap but I think they need clear blue water personally. Hold at 6k, restrict the supply, push up the residual value, sell all you can make. Loving the new sapphire pro but at over 7k soon, don’t think so.

Too much drift from the original - too expensive.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Was chatting to a dealer in York yesterday. Some of the prices are getting a bit ‘aspirational’. They’re clearly pushing forward to close the gap but I think they need clear blue water personally. Hold at 6k, restrict the supply, push up the residual value, sell all you can make. Loving the new sapphire pro but at over 7k soon, don’t think so.
    Close the gap with… Rolex?

The value and quality for money was excellent in my opinion. I am not sure if the insane price raise meet in quality and value as they once did.

Can't they stop flogging this to death?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Agree with the comments so far - fascinating tech, and it's really to see actual ongoing developments in movements. Not really been a fan of the Speedie automatic, and feel this gets even further from the Speedmaster ethos, with the looks (or perhaps just not my taste).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Agree with the comments so far - fascinating tech, and it's really to see actual ongoing developments in movements. Not really been a fan of the Speedie automatic, and feel this gets even further from the Speedmaster ethos, with the looks (or perhaps just not my taste).
    Just saw the price - £9k. Hmmm.

That apart the development on the movement is impressive - automatic, 60h power reserve, co-axial, and with this new Spirate system.

Hmmm, cool tech but doesn’t look as good as the speedie pro IMO and I’m not sure I see the regulating system is worth the premium.

It’s interesting that the speedie pro is the iconic watch and it’s the entry point in the line. You’d think they would make their iconic watch the aspirational one and make newer variants cheaper and more accessible, to entice buyers who can’t quite stretch to the classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Can't they stop flogging this to death?
    Flogging what? Watches??

Master
    Interesting that a 44.25mm Speedmaster is used to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Aqua Terra 15,000 gauss. Will this tech fit in a sensibly sized Aqua Terra? Or even a 38mm AT? Either way, well done Omega for pushing things forward, it will be interesting to see what they can do with this in future movements and models.

Presumably they could have chosen to regulate it to +/- 1 second instead of 0-2 seconds, which might sound more impressive as a marketing claim in a way, but clearly 0-2 is more useful in practice, so it’s good they‘ve done the right thing there.

Just saw the price - £9k. Hmmm.

That apart the development on the movement is impressive - automatic, 60h power reserve, co-axial, and with this new Spirate system.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...racing/product

It's £10,700 here in the Uk chap.

Master

Omega Speedmaster Super Racing

As usual with Omega, I don’t get it. They need to cut down the catalog massively and build from core again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Ouch, I just ran a conversion from a CHF. Funny how those official currency conversions work!

Oh well, wasn’t for me anyway, and that confirms it.

Craftsman
    Ouch, I just ran a conversion from a CHF. Funny how those official currency conversions work!

Oh well, wasn’t for me anyway, and that confirms it.
    Looks absolutely amazing. As a current owner of a 44.25 Speedy though I do wish they would have taken the opportunity to add this to the standard (smaller) pro case.

I have a serious case of want nevertheless. And I am pleased that Omega seem to continue to develop the two counter line.

Looks nice, but I'll wait for the Swatch version

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    They try and compete on technology against Rolex ,with metas certificate ,different ceramic dark sides of moon ,co axial escapement ,now this ,however the vast majority of people have very little interest or knowledge of these things

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

It's an interesting thing, this Spirate. Looks like the spring is attached to the +/- arm at the top of the photo, and the new Omega-signed part of the silicon coil sits below it, at 0600. So it's attached in a traditional way, but the Spirate acts to either shorten, or apply additional pressure to the arm to effect a change in stiffness. It reminds me of the AgenPit device that allows the spiral arm to move backwards and forwards to adjust the length of the spring, but seems to rely on the shape of the new silicon coil, rather than just the ability to easily adjust it. I've no doubt that the profile of the silicon spring is essential to its success, but it does limit its use to those specifically designed springs. We seem to have a solution that is complicated by this additional requirement - a very specific silicon spring - and if these aren't available, then there's no chance of fixing it. I'm not against the use of silicon, but it does increasingly mean that replacement parts must be sought from the manufacturer (or sent back to the manufacturer), rather than being fixable by a non-Omega watchmaker. I'm sure more information about the exact method of its application will be released shortly, but at this point, I find it hard to really understand the benefit over, e.g. the existing AgenPit solution (which already allowed a watchmaker to fine-tune the length of the spring to control timing). As ever, I'm probably wrong. I usually am.

Blog Entries
    It’s good to see Omega experimenting. It’s a shame with each iteration (2254; 8400; etc etc seems to add about 3KGBP to the price. I wonder what the this thickness of these “Speedmaster” are - I am guessing it may be thick because of the display back.

Personally I found the the small two handed dial to read the chronometer (rhs) too small for me so had to give them up

Price? It no more than the other “dark side of the moon” watches such as:

I am guessing the new escapement will make its way to the other model ranges in due course - with an upscale in price.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th January 2023 at 18:42.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    As usual with Omega, I don’t get it. They need to cut down the catalog massively and build from core again.
    Absolutely, I’ve been saying it for years. They ruined the SMP300m diver for by moving the date, but they just have too many sub lines going on imho.

I like the idea of the tech if it truly adds anything, but Tudor have impressed me with 1-2 second a day average time-keeping on virtually every new one I’ve bought in the last two years. So I’m not sure how much I value 1 sec a day or so accuracy rather than an extra 10 hours or so of power reserve, and save more than 50% on the price.

Omega are pushing the technology side hard in their marketing, and I think the industry would be poorer without things gradually progressing, but they are not alone in improving their movements in recent years.

I agree with most of the comments made above, and in that I also much prefer the standard Moonwatch.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 27th January 2023 at 21:31.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just want Omega desperately needed, more SKUs