closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nice Ride. 50s Chevrolet content

Blog Entries

Nice Ride. 50s Chevrolet content

My classic car buddy Don is looking for a house in New Mexico. He spotted this 50s Chevrolet yesterday, parked in Taos NM. The car is a long way from home: it has a Quebec plate!

Since we all love the looks of a nice car... I wouldn't mind having this on my driveway!

On another matter: New Mexico is 'Breaking Bad country'. A desert. I never knew that Taos is a skiing resort! Just outside the town, the landscape rises up to 2800+ meters. Same goes for Santa Fe, btw. High enough for serious skiing. I find it difficult to get my head around the fact that a desert and ski resort go together!

Last edited by thieuster; 26th January 2023 at 08:57.

Shades of Ghostbusters!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love that! Bet it's a bugger to park

Incredibly cool, I like to think of all new running gear underneath to give people a surprise.
    Not a desert but years ago I had a week at Lake Tahoe. Sat in trunks at the motel poolside in 70 degree sunshine with snowy mountains towering above me, very pleasant but quite surreal.

Blog Entries
    The jury (my friend Don) is not sure this is a Nomad. He thinks this is a '56 car. And Nomads were top-level-trim cars (as in: additional shiny parts). This one lacks these parts. One give-away for the Nomad were the chrome vertical strips on the tailgate and the profiled sheet metal under the tail gate window where the strips are mounted on. This car lacks those.

That's nice Menno. Slight rat rod style.

I like to go to classic car meets when I am in the US, you can see some lovely stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

The plate is for a (station)wagon lover
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    The idea of modern underpinnings is a valid one, I think. Those cars had a separate chassis. And as we all know from those Discovery Channel TV shows on car restoring in the USA, is that there are people who fabricate new chassis. Add to that the Chevrolet Performance Parts crate engines and you have a winner!

What's so nice about these pictures, apart from the car, are the colours. The body colours of the car are só 'in sync' with the colours on the street and the shop walls in the background.

Looks like a 55 Nomad. Nice.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    It's not a 55 Nomad. The Nomad's B-pillar is angled, this car's B-pillar is vertical. But I see what you have in mind. A Nomad was a high-end car. It's more like a '55 Chevrolet 210 Handyman. You put me on the right track with "55". A short Google search showed this:

But that was not the right car: note the 'dent' in the car's waistline behind the B-pillar. And the rear wheel arches are too 'boxy'.Then I looked for the 56 version. I think that it's one:

Last edited by thieuster; 27th January 2023 at 23:48.

Pretty cool old Chevy!

Not a Nomad (like below), and the small taillight lens denotes a 1956 model.

Notice the larger taillight lens on the '55 Nomad...

The other main distinguishing feature on the '56 is it's very different grill...

1955.................................................. ...........................1956

Seriously cool car/s. I was going to mention the almost surreal experience of skiing at Heavenly, Lake Tahoe. Get off the lift and tun one way for California and ski down towards the beautiful lake itself; turn the other way and you look out over the shimmering Nevada desert.
    Last edited by Skier; 28th January 2023 at 15:45.

Blog Entries
    When you see the pic of the Nomad and the pic of the 'Handy', it becomes clear what a clever designers Chrevolet had! Basically the Nomad and Handy are the same cars. But with the angled B and C pillar and the sloping (angle) tailgate, the high-end Nomad looks so much faster, sleeker!

My friend Don is seriously looking for a home there. Like me, he has classic cars and my (our family's) set-up of a relatively small house and a gigantic workshop is what he's looking for as well. And that's not easy without ending up on an 'industrial zone' somewhere on the outskirts of a NM town...

At first, I thought: "Why in 'Breaking Bad' country?" But that was totally based on the idea of a barren wasteland with stunning views that you seen in BB. My friend's road trip vids/pics have made thing a lot clearer to me. The northern part of NM is above 2,000 m, with towns like Santa Fe and Taos. Albuquerque, more to the south, is still situated at 1,600m. That's seriously high! The Summers may be hot and dry, but it's surely a skiing area. When you go up north, towards Colorado etc, pine trees dictate the scenery! Sort of Alps look and feel. Some spots have 300 sunny days/year!

Taos has an artistic vibe, combined with the 'earthy' colors of the buildings and the 'adobe' style homes. I think it's more interesting that I anticipated! That Chevy fits right into the groovy Taos vibe!

Another car he spotted in NM. When was the last time you saw one on the roads in Europe? And I didn't know they were ever sold in the US!

http://
    Last edited by thieuster; 28th January 2023 at 15:03.

505 estate?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    505 estate?
    Yes! A quick search on Autoscout24 shows that there are only 2 for sale in Western Europe (at sellers who have an account on Autoscout)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Pretty cool old Chevy!

Not a Nomad (like below), and the small taillight lens denotes a 1956 model.

That is one seriously gorgeous looking wagon !!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It's not a 55 Nomad. The Nomad's B-pillar is angled, this car's B-pillar is vertical. But I see what you have in mind. A Nomad was a high-end car. It's more like a '55 Chevrolet 210 Handyman. You put me on the right track with "55". A short Google search showed this:

But that was not the right car: note the 'dent' in the car's waistline behind the B-pillar. And the rear wheel arches are too 'boxy'.Then I looked for the 56 version. I think that it's one:

I was going by the rear light. 55 small, 56 bigger, 57 large 😁

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    It's like a crash course 'identifying a mid-50s Chevy wagon' isn't it? I never realized that there were so many different details during those various years.