closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Staying in Muncich - any reccomendations?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Staying in Muncich - any reccomendations?

Good evening

As a reward for my son doing well in his GCSEs a few years ago, I promised him a trip to Moscow. Well that isn't going to happen soon, so he's chosen Munich instead. So a trip to December break to visit Dachau, Motor World & BMW Welt beckon.

As many of you are seasoned travellers, I was wondering the best places to stay, eat, drink etc, I know the S Bahn runs from the airport to the centre, so getting around isn't too much of a problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Adam

Master
    No chance to go at a time of year when the weather is better?

Also, budget?

Master
    TripAdvisor is his best bet, not a bunch of old geezers who went there five years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    No chance to go at a time of year when the weather is better?

Also, budget?
    I picked December, the colder the better!

We're not bothered about luxury, we'll be out most of the day, so just somewhere to sleep, a shower & a breakfast. We stayed in a cracking hotel in Berlin, the Hotel Melia, perfect for the U-Bahn & tourist attractions

Master
    I stayed in Hotel Cocoon a couple of months ago, well located for the centre and decently priced at the time. Nice bar.

Ate here one night, excellent: https://www.namgiao-31.de/

Englischen Garten a must-do of course, assuming you like a walk.

And then the thing I have enjoyed most was taking a short trip South to one of the lake towns, if you have the time.

I'm sure I could ask colleagues in Munich for more specifics if you want anything in particular, especially to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    I picked December, the colder the better!

We're not bothered about luxury, we'll be out most of the day, so just somewhere to sleep, a shower & a breakfast. We stayed in a cracking hotel in Berlin, the Hotel Melia, perfect for the U-Bahn & tourist attractions
    We went to St Petersburg in January or February a few years ago - We wanted to see it in the snow. It was bitterly cold, but we loved it.

You can get an all day ticket on the S/U-Bahn (they did a family one, but not sure your son would qualify) which is great value.

The Englischergarten beer gardens (Chinese Tower one or the Seehaus, by the lake) will be open, but few of the brewery related ones (My favourite is the Hacker Pschorr one near the station).

Go to Andechs Monastery (S-Bahn and a bus) and eat in the little restaurant, rather than the refractory - The Lammhaxen is wonderful (The beer is good too, is your son old enough to partake?).

Depending how long you're there, take a train down to Garmisch Partenkirchen and go up to the top of the Zugspitze.

Olympic Tower (and the stadium tour) are obvious candidates - Deutsches Museum is great, especially if you're tired of being cold, a bit like the Science Museum in London.

They used to do (but I'm talking a LONG time ago now) factory tours of the BMW factory, which was very interesting if cars are your thing - Now it's BMW Welt, I suspect it's more stage managed.

Personally, I always recommend dinner (ideally) or lunch, at the Hofbrauhaus, but lots of people turn their nose up at it as 'too touristy'. Yes it is, but you'll have a great time and probably make some new friends as the big tables are communal.

For something a bit more private, but good quality, the restaurant under the Rathaus (Town Hall) does excellent Bavarian food, but it's not cheap.

I love Munich (and Bavaria in general), but it's been far too long since I was there.

When we last went (admittedly it was a few years ago now) we stayed in a chain hotel, much like a Travelinn, near the railway station. Clean, comfortable and easy to get around from for a very reasonable price. Be careful about cheap hotels near the station, though, some (as in most cities) are old and very tatty.

If you stop in Ismaning on the way to/from the airport, there's an Indian restaurant called the Rama - Used to be my local! About 5 years ago my daughter and I planned a skiing trip to finish with a meal there, but it was closed for a family event!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2023 at 17:26.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quoted from Snowman:

'Personally, I always recommend dinner (ideally) or lunch, at the Hofbrauhaus, but lots of people turn their nose up at it as 'too touristy'. Yes it is, but you'll have a great time and probably make some new friends as the big tables are communal.

For something a bit more private, but good quality, the restaurant under the Rathaus (Town Hall) does excellent Bavarian food, but it's not cheap.'

Until COVID I used to visit Munich 4 times a year on business. When I was with other Brits we always set aside a couple of nights to visit these 2 places. Great fun in both!

Fab city.
    We always stay at Motel One - a better german version of Premier Inn. The city’s transit system is superb, even announcing the next stop in English which is useful.
    Buy your multi-day travel pass at the counter in the airport and it includes the ride in and out between the airport and the city.
    Your lad may well enjoy a trip to the Allianz Arena. Enjoy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Your lad may well enjoy a trip to the Allianz Arena. Enjoy
    On the list. We'll see when next year's fixtures are announced. We've joined on the online Bayern fan club for tickets etc. And a visit to Manchesterplatz to pay my respects.

Master
    Deutsche museum is well worth a visit. 10 minute walk from the centre of town.

I stayed at the Eurostars Book Hotel, just south of the Central Train Station. Like every Central Station in pretty much every city I’ve visited, that means it’s in a ‘moody’ area near the red light district, but it’s very safe and the proliferation of hotels in that area speaks to a balance of easy access to the city centre combined with reasonable cost.

The Hofbrauhaus is great fun, and historically significant.

The English Garden is excellent, and always amusing to observe the surfers and nudists (probably less of the latter in December, though).

If you have time, a trip to Salzburg and Berchtesgaden is doable in just 2/3 hours by train, and from there a trip to Hitler’s mountain-top ‘Eagles Nest’ is quite an experience.

All this talk of visiting Muncich (sic) has prompted me into booking a trip there (well, Munich, anyway ) over the coronation weekend (coincidence, as I had forgotten that was happening, but it's booked now!).

Thanks for inspiring me to finally get around to a visit back there!

M

PS Berchtesgaden is one of my favourite places, but it's not that easy to visit from Munich without a car, IMO. It's a full day out.

PPS Italians call Muenchen "Monaco", so what do they call Monaco?

Master
    Monaco

So they do.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id...m%20in%20Latin.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Master
    Like beer? Schneider Weisse brewery well worth a visit. Also try Augustiner Helles, for me the best lager-type beer out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Like beer? Schneider Weisse brewery well worth a visit. Also try Augustiner Helles, for me the best lager-type beer out there.
    Wait... They do beer in Bavaria?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Not quite as good as the one they make east of Bavaria
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    TripAdvisor is his best bet, not a bunch of old geezers who went there five years ago.
    Yay!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    I hear there's one or two places that might do beer.

My now-wife and I spent some time in Bamberg, in Franconia (or northern Bavaria, depending on who you ask) - which is a world heritage site (probably not that interesting to a younger lad), but also has 11 breweries in the town and several hundred in the surrounding area as well as the Weyermann maltings, which is a good tour, and a slightly different view of brewing. Bamberg also has a local speciality: rauchbier (smoked beer) which is a bit odd on first taste and very moreish as you get to the bottom of the second one.

Bamberg is probably a little bit of a schlep from Munich - 2 hours via ICE, with Nürnberg on the way, but there's plenty to see, do and drink in München.
    Last edited by threescoops; 1st February 2023 at 17:37. Reason: typo