closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My little boy's birthday present. AR15 pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I'm half expecting there to be a punch line from the OP :)
    Here it is....

I gave my son some money for his birthday and he chose that gun - his choice.

He already owns an AR15 and Sig Sauer pistol and he and his wife enjoy shooting at the range. They have no children. He has a gun safe where he keeps his arsenal.

Some people enjoyed the post and added their insightful comments, for some it gave them the chance to throw up their hands in horror.

Quite a polarising thread as I knew it would be.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I daresay if gun laws were repealed this forum would have a 'today I'm shooting with this' cue weapon of choice and a wristwatch pref both blacked out and with a SpecOps flavour. Maybe a Spooky Bremont for the AC130 Spectre gunship

All we had to endure was the EDC brigade and their pocket fondling.

But yes, I can imagine the artsy photographs now.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    All we had to endure was the EDC brigade and their pocket fondling.

But yes, I can imagine the artsy photographs now.
    U.k edition

Many US gun owners will say they buy their weapons to shoot at the range, but then something unexpected happens and the gun comes out.

There is no reason private individuals should be allowed to possess such killer machines.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

There is one very sad thing about US gun ownership that gets missed in all the discussion about mass shootings.
    And that is that high levels of gun ownership lead to high levels of gun owner death, from misadventure, suicide, escalation of domestuc dispute etc.
    More American die from their own guns than in mass shootings, or from homicide at all.
    The simple fact is that, like the death penalty, there is no recourse to a second chance if you're arguing with a relatively large calibre weapon.
    This is not related to the OP, and I hope the new owner has no need to use his new "pistol" in anger. But it is a sobering aspect of such unrestrained gun ownership.

More suicides than homicides in recent years, I believe.

I read an article a few years back about the idea of "second-degree suicide" - the many people of occasional or sudden impulses of self-harm, but the easy availability of firearms means that these impulses are followed through far more than they would be in a country without the guns.

I don’t necessarily buy the “family fun down the range” argument for assault weapons. Even setting aside the fire specs, if that was the intended purpose we would see them produced in pretty colours without “tactical” debossed on the side. The fact that they are so military looking speaks to something else imv.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Agreed. Never trust a fire arm to be unloaded unless you can prove it and you have double checked and even then treat it as loaded at all times and never point it anything you do not wish to destroy.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Many US gun owners will say they buy their weapons to shoot at the range, but then something unexpected happens and the gun comes out.

There is no reason private individuals should be allowed to possess such killer machines.
    Yet we all are allowed to buy motor cars :(

Headline figures

These provisional statistics show:

• an estimated 1,560 reported road deaths in 2021, a reduction of 12% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • an estimated 27,300 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties in 2021, a reduction of 13% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • an estimated 127,967 casualties of all severities in 2021, a reduction of 21% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • there were increases in casualties of all severities in 2021 compared with 2020, though pedal cyclists showed a reduction in fatalities (20%)
    • there are age and sex differences in casualty trends, with female fatalities aged 70 and over showing a particularly large reduction during the COVID-19 pandemic (36% reduction in 2021 compared with the 2017 to 2019 average)
    • monthly changes in casualties generally showed a similar trend to changes in motor traffic levels

I can’t fire a car, nor can I drive a gun.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Yet we all are allowed to buy motor cars :(

Headline figures

These provisional statistics show:

• an estimated 1,560 reported road deaths in 2021, a reduction of 12% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • an estimated 27,300 killed or seriously injured (KSI) casualties in 2021, a reduction of 13% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • an estimated 127,967 casualties of all severities in 2021, a reduction of 21% from the 2017 to 2019 average
    • there were increases in casualties of all severities in 2021 compared with 2020, though pedal cyclists showed a reduction in fatalities (20%)
    • there are age and sex differences in casualty trends, with female fatalities aged 70 and over showing a particularly large reduction during the COVID-19 pandemic (36% reduction in 2021 compared with the 2017 to 2019 average)
    • monthly changes in casualties generally showed a similar trend to changes in motor traffic levels
    Except guns are devices that are primarily designed to inflict harm on people or things.
    Except cars are regulated and require stringent tests and insurance to operate.
    Except cars are a necessity for many people, and enable them to play a part in society.

Apart from that, yeah, they're the same. Quite the same. Well done, genius.

If you're interested in target shooting, take up archery or darts.

Except, of course, then your car stats refer to the UK, and not the US. We have stringent gun laws in the UK, and, well.

In the US, there were 612 mass shootings in the US in 2020 alone.

https://www.asralertsystems.com/blog...20from%202019.

Stop muddying the waters and engaging in Whatasaboutism.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 29th January 2023 at 15:42.

Blog Entries
    "Itchy Trigger Finger"!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Except guns are devices that are primarily designed to inflict harm on people or things.
    Except cars are regulated and require stringent tests and insurance to operate.
    Except cars are a necessity for many people, and enable them to play a part in society.

Apart from that, yeah, they're the same. Quite the same. Well done, genius.

If you're interested in target shooting, take up archery or darts.
    Thanks but I don't really think that post makes me a genius just rather another way at looking at stuff :)

I think I read that motoring and gun deaths per year are about the same in the USA ?

Master
    That trigger finger! My old serjeant would beast him severely. Poor drills make for poor skills...

I used to visit Houston for work a lot and got friendly with a US colleague. He invited me to a range to try out some guns as I had never done it before.

The most overrated thing I have ever done and totally boring. You don’t see anything, hear a loud bang and get a kick back from the weapon. I could not see or feel the excitement.

I would rather watch paint dry.