closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: After advice: Vehicle Battery Starter Pack

After advice: Vehicle Battery Starter Pack

Sorry, but I know so little about these maters, so I'm after some advice.

I have a car flat battery starter pack. 18000mAh with 5v, 12v, 16v and 19v options. I've started up cars for two neighbours with flat batteries.

Unfortunately my own vehicle was flat yesterday and the starter pack had little impact and would not start the vehicle. My battery is 12v 74Ah.

Is my problem that the starter pack does not push out enough current to fire up my vehicle (VW T5.1)? 18000mAh vs. 74Ah?

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 25th January 2023 at 11:28.

Craftsman
    Whats the peak current is can deliver ? 18000mha is the capacity

Edit , photo didnt appear , yes 600a is probably too low for your car if the battery is very discharged

Ta, yes I added the picture after. The starter pack states start current 300A and I'm just reading something on a T4 forum about the initial draw on the starter motor being 350A.

Master
    I bought this one from Costco… easily starts my 5.7 V8 Jeep when the battery’s flat.

You can pump up your tyres and charge a phone too

Thanks, I was also looking at this Noco GB40 with 1000A peak.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB40-U...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Thanks for recommendations, looks like I need a replacement with more oomph.

Master
    If it started two other vehicles but didn't start yours then it's either gone faulty (these things seem a bit prone to failing) or it's not got enough welly for your car. Were the other two cars petrol Fiestas & yours a 4 litre diesel?

I have to say the fact these things work at all is rather surprising but they clearly do.

Conclusion is not enough welly. has started Merc and BMW diesel cars, failed on VW diesel van. The pack I have has 600A peak current and 300A start. I need to replace.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

I'm also looking at buying one of these. I would like one for my 2.7 diesel based motor home. Having looked at your link there seems to be loads to choose from! I see they come in 1500 and 2000A.

When '1000A peak' is mentioned in the blurb - is that what the booster pack puts out initially to the flat battery? Is this a case of 'bigger is better' or maybe just get what you need and save your money?

The one I have states that it is 600A peak current and 300A start current. I'm assuming I need more that 300A to start.

The NOCO GB40 states that it has a 1000A peak and is suitable for Diesel engines up to 3 litres, but doesn't mention start current. So I'm thinking along the lines that 1000A is sufficient for me.

If you go on to Ebay and search on Jump Start Pack, there is a Peak Amp filter on the left. I selected 1000A, 1500A and 1600A UK only and there are 56 listed. There is a BIUBLE at £40 odd quid which is meant to be suitable for upto 5.5l diesels and 7.0l petrol engines.

They don't always state the start current, but I'm assuming 1000A peak current will be enough.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 25th January 2023 at 13:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    If it started two other vehicles but didn't start yours then it's either gone faulty (these things seem a bit prone to failing) or it's not got enough welly for your car.
    Or possibly the batteries in the other cars still had sufficient residual charge to start their cars in conjunction with the battery pack, but the OP's car's battery was much lower in charge?

With these types of battery packs (I have a couple), as well as things like jump leads, it's always worthwhile buying the highest capacity that you can.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Or possibly the batteries in the other cars still had sufficient residual charge to start their cars in conjunction with the battery pack, but the OP's car's battery was much lower in charge?

With these types of battery packs (I have a couple), as well as things like jump leads, it's always worthwhile buying the highest capacity that you can.
    Or the cars have different resistance to being turned (and more to this than just engine capacity).

I have a NOCO GB70 - plenty of power and turns over my 2.4 Defender no bother.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I have a 40 for my motorbikes and a 70 from my previous diesel car. The 70 is heavy and powerful, the 40 possibly too light for a large diesel engine.

Both were in the Amazon sale a couple of days ago although I see the price has now gone back up. Halfords had them in their sale last week, may still have them.

We use portable power 1800 peak amp unit which will cold crank over 500amps
    Even with this over the past few weeks if you have a large V8 diesel it will struggle.
    If it’s totally flat with no ignition lights etc it struggles, if it has enough to give you ign lights and clunk the starter solenoid it’ll rattle it over like hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've had an antigravity SP10 for over 9 years, brilliant and starts anything. But pricey

The NOCO GB70 has a Peak Current of 2000A. It's a bit pricey.

As I'm a cheapskate, I was looking at this GOOLOO, 2000A Peak Current with a Start Current of 500A.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134021138838

I have a Noco GB50 Boost XL, which is 1500A and supposedly good for petrol engines up to 7L and Diesels up to 4.5L.

It's worked faultlessly each time I've used it and also has USB-out for charging USB devices and a 200 lumen multi-mode flashlight.

Impressive piece of kit IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries

I have that one and can confirm it starts my 2.5 TDI T5.

As I'm a cheapskate, I was looking at this GOOLOO, 2000A Peak Current with a Start Current of 500A.

Given the jump start pack is to get you out of the do-do I would suggest you look at the budget a little more generously?

No point in saving a few £'s if it does not do what you bought it to do IMHO.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Noco GB70 minimum for a T5/T6. There is no point compromising as smaller capacity devices will not work.

Pete

Yes, it’s a van but same engine as many cars, not especially large and someone above has confirmed a smaller starter works ok.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Noco GB70 minimum for a T5/T6. There is no point compromising as smaller capacity devices will not work.

Pete
    Not correct. Here I am starting my T5.

Project Farm on YouTube has put these to the test.

I went with the Gooloo GP2000.

Probably best to take power ratings from cheap stuff with a pinch of salt, there are loads of review videos on YouTube that test claims on things like this and impact guns and drills etc that show a lot of the power claims are very optimistic.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks all, some great information and tips.

Tending towards a NOCO. I suspect it will be rarely used, but being able to jump start can save a lot of aggro. I’ve needed a jump starter maybe four times in the last ten years. Twice to help out other grateful owners, twice for me which both ended in failures, once because I didn’t have a unit and needed rescuing and this week because the cheap unit I had was insufficient and I needed to get somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk