closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Profile Validation by Goldsmiths

Master
    Blog Entries

Profile Validation by Goldsmiths

I'm on "the list" with Goldsmiths ... have been for a couple of years and I have received this email:

I'm assuming this is genuine; has anyone else received the same?

Good Afternoon

We hope you are well.

We are currently in the process of updating our records to keep your Article Registrations active within our showroom.

We require the following information from you in order to complete this process and validate your profile -

Date Of Birth

Photographic Identification, preference being valid Driving License

We would appreciate it if you could respond to the following dedicated number, preferably via WhatsApp at your earliest convenience. This is to ensure your data remains secure and encrypted at all times. 07391 xxxxxxx This will allow us to update your records, without a visit to our showroom.

However, if you wish to email or visit our showroom to validate then please complete at your earliest convenience.

Please note the dedicated number above is only available for this validation service and all other contact would be direct to our showroom.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Goldsmiths

__________________________________________________ _____

They want me to send my DoB and Driving License to a nominated mobile via WhatsApp ...

Sounds dodgy AF, even if it is legit

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Sounds dodgy AF, even if it is legit
    Absolutely.

Master
    No, absolutely no.

Call the dealer using a phone you get from the goldsmiths website. If they want any information go in person.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    No, absolutely no.

Call the dealer using a phone you get from the goldsmiths website. If they want any information go in person.
    +1

Seems very dodgy to me.

100% verify with Goldsmiths directly that this is a real message first, and then if it is real and you still want to interact with them, then I'd personally go into the store with the relevant info.

That's for their showroom in Nigeria. AVOID!!

Sounds incredibly dodgy to me. I’d definitely contact them via your usual route, not that specified in the email.

If it does turn out to be genuine, which would surprise me, I’d be giving them some very direct feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I actually think it is a legitimate request from them; they obviously think people will actually send their photo ID off to an unknown mobile.

I was more wondering if this was a blanket request from Goldsmiths, in which case others here may have received the same request.

A small part of me is wondering if it is a sign I'm about to receive "the call" ...

I will phone them and report back.

Edit: I phoned them; it is genuine. I asked why they wanted these details and got the usual guff ... I'll do it when I pass the store next ...
    Last edited by Montello; 23rd January 2023 at 16:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I actually think it is a legitimate request from them; they obviously think people will actually send their photo ID off to an unknown mobile.

I was more wondering if this was a blanket request from Goldsmiths, in which case others here may have received the same request.

A small part of me is wondering if it is a sign I'm about to receive "the call" ...

I will phone them and report back.

Edit: I phoned them; it is genuine. I asked why they wanted these details and got the usual guff ... I'll do it when I pass the store next ...
    How incredibly naive of Goldsmiths , I would also want to know how secure their data recording systems are ?
    That sort of detail if it fell into wrong hands is a priceless . Very sound advice from other contributors and frankly I am very surprised by Goldsmiths requests and preferred methodology .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I had this but it was requested while I was in the store so I gave them ID so they could verify me. I think the idea was to stop people being registered for the same watch at multiple ADs.
    I felt a bit over the top but they had all my details already so didn't seem like a bit issue to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems like an attempt to:

1) Reduce duplicate wait list requests
    2) Profile prospective clients
    3) Attempt to reduce flippers / grey players

I don't really have a problem with it; although I thought the request to WhatsApp was odd for such a big corporate; maybe better they had some sort of portal where you opened an account and registered your details and requirements ...

Two things, they spelt 'licence' in American and what on earth are 'Article Registrations'? Sounds like nonsense to me, especially as it isn't addressed specifically to you.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That would be another shop to permanently avoid for me.

Now you know it's genuine it sounds like a good initiative, although maybe not the WhatsApp part.

There must be people during the hype who registered with variations of their name to go on multiple lists and this will weed them out.

I suspect it's genuine, although I'd probably respond by getting them to add your details in store.

Last year, they showed me their registration computer system. It is designed to flag up potential resellers as it cross checks that you haven't registered the same interest at other stores in the network. I'm assuming the addition of proof of ID is another step to make sure you aren't using aliases. A good thing I reckon.

Blog Entries
    Next they will want copies of recent bank statements and a personal CV for the ‘privilege’ of being allowed to apply to join one of their so-called ‘waiting lists’ for some overpriced overhyped watch, all compiled and judged by some in-store oik who knows as much about horology as your average cow-pat stacker!
    As far as I am concerned they can F*** right off with their fanciful rules and waaaaaiting lists and they can do that in spades!

Master
    Every so often there’s a thread that relates to money laundering regulation and the ADs approach to implementing the Rolex rules.

I consider I have a good relationship with the AD. I’ve made it as easy as a I can do them to maintain client due diligence on me as their client.

If you were an AD with an in demand watch would you jump through the hoops complying with the AML rules for a new client or call someone you have the current ID&V on file for ?

The rules are still Euro10k but expected to lower. All high value goods dealers should do this.

The issue has is that WhatsApp is not an appropriate channel to send identity documentation. It’s analogous to the post service in terms of security but as a digital credential can be accessed by anyone with access to the Whatapp account ( everyone in the store for a start).

Good luck getting the watch you want, my advice is go with the flow but do it by a visit to the branch and it’s good for around three years.

Every so often there’s a thread that relates to money laundering regulation and the ADs approach to implementing the Rolex rules.

I consider I have a good relationship with the AD. I’ve made it as easy as a I can do them to maintain client due diligence on me as their client.

If you were an AD with an in demand watch would you jump through the hoops complying with the AML rules for a new client or call someone you have the current ID&V on file for ?

The rules are still Euro10k but expected to lower. All high value goods dealers should do this.

The issue has is that WhatsApp is not an appropriate channel to send identity documentation. It’s analogous to the post service in terms of security but as a digital credential can be accessed by anyone with access to the Whatapp account ( everyone in the store for a start).

Good luck getting the watch you want, my advice is go with the flow but do it by a visit to the branch and it’s good for around three years.
    Don’t see this at all, why and how will everyone in a store be able to access that WhatsApp account?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t see this at all, why and how will everyone in a store be able to access that WhatsApp account?
    Because the laptop/PC may be shared by members of staff, the password may be known by several members of staff, the password may be written down, the laptop/PC gets shared. WoS group use a tablet to browse the expression of interest list and would-be buyers. They share them in the shop.

Are you aware of the near 500million WhatsApp accounts compromised in dec 22?

Craftsman
    Called into my usual AD last year and was asked to confirm all my details although when I told them nothing had changed , the SA kept on asking for the details clearly unable to understand the term nothing has changed .

He then mentioned next time I was in would I bring photo ID.

According to the SA I should consider myself fortunate I’d been able to buy watches from them.

The arrogant nature of the SA left a lot to be desired, I’ve never received a level of customer service so low anywhere.

I followed it up with an email to the store and received a perfectly worded email that left me feeling fobbed off.

I don’t think I’ll be getting a call anytime soon.

Like someone else said, the ID bit is probably to stop people pretending to be someone else to buy more than their allocation. I showed my ID when registering interest to confirm my address and didn’t think much of it. I’d ignore a request like this for WhatsApp though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Like someone else said, the ID bit is probably to stop people pretending to be someone else to buy more than their allocation. I showed my ID when registering interest to confirm my address and didn’t think much of it. I’d ignore a request like this for WhatsApp though.
    Either that, or precisely as per my posts explaining the money laundering regs.

Won’t be long before you need to add a ‘personal statement’ to your application.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Remember when this used to be about watches?

Now it’s investing in a financial vehicle and due diligence must be done.

Sheesh, I hate what it’s become. Wilsdorf spawned a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Won’t be long before you need to add a ‘personal statement’ to your application.
    And be referred by a 'sponsor'.

It's utter nonsense - it is a retail shop selling watches (end of).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'd tape over sensitive data like DOB as they don't need to know that, not do they need passport details. Verifying that the name matches the photo should suffice. Very dodgy grounds I suspect, given data protection. It's a watch for Christ's sake, not a bone marrow donation.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I'd tape over sensitive data like DOB as they don't need to know that, not do they need passport details. Verifying that the name matches the photo should suffice. Very dodgy grounds I suspect, given data protection. It's a watch for Christ's sake, not a bone marrow donation.
    I’m registered as a potential donor with the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust, and reached the second stage of cross matching twice.

I’m yet to provide to them the level of data Goldsmiths are asking for here .

Is any DOB really a big secret?

Master
    I think this is a thing. I was on there once and asked what I was on the list for. They asked if I have ID to veryify me, apparently a new process and they want to check a box on their system. Designed to remove duplication and fake profiles, etc. They didn't take a copy or store it, just looked at my ID and said, yes that is fine, we will check the box.

Had I been asked in the manner the OP was I don't think I would have played ball.

Master
    The process of reducing duplicates is called entity resolution. It’s used to de duplicate records and form the most comprehensive accurate record.

Again, it’s important for money laundering compliance but also for making sure you’re not on multiple lists.

Because the laptop/PC may be shared by members of staff, the password may be known by several members of staff, the password may be written down, the laptop/PC gets shared. WoS group use a tablet to browse the expression of interest list and would-be buyers. They share them in the shop.

Are you aware of the near 500million WhatsApp accounts compromised in dec 22?
    The WhatsApp message goes to head office (or similar), they verify the data and mark buyer as such. No need for WhatsApp, DOB and sensitive information to be shared and available in the stores. No different to it's always been.

How long till they engrave the watch with your name, DOB and National Insurance number?

Or maybe weld the clasp shut once it’s on your wrist.

Madness.

You can buy (actually buy) better watches for less money, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Next they will want copies of recent bank statements and a personal CV for the ‘privilege’ of being allowed to apply to join one of their so-called ‘waiting lists’ for some overpriced overhyped watch, all compiled and judged by some in-store oik who knows as much about horology as your average cow-pat stacker!
    As far as I am concerned they can F*** right off with their fanciful rules and waaaaaiting lists and they can do that in spades!
    Hard to argue with that! They can keep their trinkets as far as I’m concerned!

Profile Validation by Goldsmiths

Absolute madness, it’s about time these shops started acting like shops, not trumped up investment banks or whatever position they imagine they now occupy. Anyone who actually responds to that message with their details shouldn’t be left in charge of a credit card imho. Even if this isn’t a scam, it certainly smells like one and should be treated like one. I wonder if the watch companies associated with this kind of nonsense realise how much it taints their products for those of us who live in the real world?

Master
    Hard to believe this discussion is, ultimately, about buying a wristwatch from a retailer.

Sad times we live in - it used to be all about the watches on here not all the other cak that some people are willing to put up with.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Sad times we live in - it used to be all about the watches on here not all the other cak that some people are willing to put up with.
    100% Neil.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    You can buy (actually buy) better watches for less money, too.
    I don't think I mentioned anywhere above which brands /watches I am on list for so I don't know how you reach that conclusion.

For the record I am waiting on 2 watches, different brands.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the number is just an employees personal phone.

Have you had a look at it on WhatsApp?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Have you had a look at it on WhatsApp?
    Yes; the profile picture is a WoS logo; not some random staff photo ...

I called in the shop today; they were very polite as ever looked me up on their computer; looked at my ID and made a few notes and returned it; they didn't copy it.

Seems they are making a group wide effort to verify that certain people are not duplicating their interest at multiple stores.

Has to be a good thing if it weeds out a few chancers who are on lists everywhere hoping to land something they can flip... gives us genuine buyers a slightly better chance.

Sadly they reported demand still outstrips supply be some margin ... the wait continues.

Craftsman

To be fair, the MLRs apply to doing business. The regs don’t apply to people on a waitlist to buy anything. There’s no business there.

They should apply the DD at the point of sale where the reg requirement is met. However, to your point - a sketchy message asking for WhatsApp details is beyond tone deaf in this age of identity theft.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You say this… I told Pragnell that I wanted to buy a 124060 when it came out. They are my usual.

They wanted my personal details, to know my occupation and employer, they wanted to know what watches are already in my collection and my aspirations for my watch collection.

I asked them if they were taking the piss… it was explained to me very politely that anything anyone might really want from Rolex is given to big spenders who they dare not refuse when they come calling for these watches.

I understand that from their perspective but did politely remind them that if they won’t sell me what I want without making me feel unworthy or otherwise looked down on, that we’re I ever to be in a position to be a big spender, I’d likely not want to give that money to a business that actively treated me like a second class customer. They got it but said they need to keep the lights on today.

I understand but it’s just a sh*te state of affairs.

That’s just beyond the pale.

HP fair enough. But cash or credit. F right off. It’s become even more of a joke, if that we even possible.