closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: LEMANIA 1873

  1. #1

    LEMANIA 1873

    Hi all,

    Iím thinking about picking up one of the Carrera reissues which had an 1873 inside. Apologies if this is a silly question but how much of a pain is it to service these nowadays in terms of parts etc? Am I looking at a bit of a headache down the road or were the movements sufficiently ubiquitous that it shouldnít really be a problem?

    Many thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,367
    As a base movement itís used in the Speedmaster Pro so is tried and tested and serviceable (assuming the watchmaker has access to Omega / ETA parts
    I have three watches with a variation of the movement and it does not bother me.
    I assume Tag will be able to service it should the time come.

    https://forums.timezone.com/index.ph...h=471605&rid=0

    This link may or may not help.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    As a base movement itís used in the Speedmaster Pro so is tried and tested and serviceable (assuming the watchmaker has access to Omega / ETA parts
    I have three watches with a variation of the movement and it does not bother me.
    I assume Tag will be able to service it should the time come.

    https://forums.timezone.com/index.ph...h=471605&rid=0

    This link may or may not help.
    Thanks for that.

    I was aware of the lineage but wasnít sure about whether one could source the parts if they needed replacing. I fear that it may force me to go down the authorised watchmaker route, which is fine but evidently limits options. Also, recent experience has put me off manufacturer service!

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    4,678
    Blog Entries
    1
    As above; I'd not worry about service.

    I had one which was very nice but I found it not easy enough to read the time ... I think the black dial one would be more ligible.

    1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999

  5. #5
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    21,704
    Servicing shouldn't be a problem provided nothing gets broken or damaged, I`ve serviced several Omega 1861/861 movements and the only part I`ve needed to replace has been the mainspring which is readily available. Parts generally get worn to a point of needing replacement when a watch has been run for several years with dried up lubricants.

    As for obtaining TAG and Zenith-specific parts, LVMH service centre are happy to supply to bona fide repairers, to date I`ve had no problems obtaining parts, but that will change in September when they will start an accreditation requirement in the same way that Swatch Group did a few years ago. This will require a commitment to equipment and facilities that some, including me, won't meet so the number of people who are happy to service these watches will fall. It's a shame, I was able to order parts by making a phone call and sending an e-mail, the guy I dealt with was very helpful, but that will all change.

  6. #6

    LEMANIA 1873

    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    As above; I'd not worry about service.

    I had one which was very nice but I found it not easy enough to read the time ... I think the black dial one would be more ligible.

    1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999
    Funny you would say that, I actually thought the silver dial was the most legible.

    I had the black dial (CS3111), and found it quite hard to tell the time on it, as most of the time the hands are not reflecting any light and they sort of disappear, leaving you only with the bit of tritium or luminova near the tip (depending on the year of manufacture) to see, which blends in with the hour markers.

    Loved the watch and was not concerned about the movement serviceability with decades of production etc. But definitely not a watch you can read at a quick glance. I do miss it every now and then though, loads of charm

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    4,678
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Funny you would say that, I actually thought the silver dial was the most legible.

    I had the black dial (CS3111), and found it quite hard to tell the time on it, as most of the time the hands are not reflecting any light and they sort of disappear, leaving you only with the bit of tritium or luminova near the tip (depending on the year of manufacture) to see, which blends in with the hour markers.

    Loved the watch and was not concerned about the movement serviceability with decades of production etc. But definitely not a watch you can read at a quick glance. I do miss it every now and then though, loads of charm
    Well perhaps they are both not easy to read, but I did like the watch and miss it a bit as a collection constituent but just didn’t wear it enough as I like watches that are highly legible.

  8. #8
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,367
    The movement itís not a bad looker either.


    I have a love of hand wound chronographs and this movement is probably my favourite (of the ones I own)

  9. #9
    Thanks for all the replies, folks. Sounds roughly like what I was expecting.

    It is tempting. I tried one on today in Harrogate. Lovely watch, the hand winding felt great, springy and clicky in a really purposeful way. The watch is definitely borderline too small at 35mm but the pushers give it a little more presence. I think the white one would wear a bit bigger but Iím less keen on it aesthetically.

    Iím undecided but given that itís at the top end of my budget Iíll probably have to pass for now, itís a lot to spend (for me) on something Iím not sure about.

    I suspect temptation will rear its head again soon enough.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Funny you would say that, I actually thought the silver dial was the most legible.

    I had the black dial (CS3111), and found it quite hard to tell the time on it, as most of the time the hands are not reflecting any light and they sort of disappear, leaving you only with the bit of tritium or luminova near the tip (depending on the year of manufacture) to see, which blends in with the hour markers.

    Loved the watch and was not concerned about the movement serviceability with decades of production etc. But definitely not a watch you can read at a quick glance. I do miss it every now and then though, loads of charm
    Agree that the handset can disappear on the 3111 - you wouldnít think it from photos, but it does.

    Genesis great for servicing these.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Agree that the handset can disappear on the 3111 - you wouldnít think it from photos, but it does.

    Genesis great for servicing these.
    Genesis did mine a couple of years ago. Really nice watches these, still IMO they prettiest chronograph ever made.

    Mine was a black dial, funny I donít recall it being particularly difficult to read and my eyes are sh*te.

    The size is perfect in my view, keeps the vintage charm. I too remember winding was very easy and pleasurable.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information