closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else struggling with this poxy weather?

Anyone else struggling with this poxy weather?

Very British thing to do this to discuss the weather but its really taking a toll on me this year. It never really bothered me but as I've got older and older I'm finding it almost unbearable. Im finding myself cold almost all day and getting home I'm sat 3 feet away form the log stove. Even taking the dogs out for their late night slash for a few minutes has me hunched over shivering…really wish it would p**s right off now and keeping my fingers crossed that i look out tomorrow to bright warm sunshine
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 23rd January 2023 at 22:51.

Sorry to hear that. But - might it be would a visit to the GP? Could be sign that there’s something going on in the background with you?

Wishing you well in any event.

Master
    I have had enough, but I can be warmer commuting for £50 a day so comfort there.

My wife suffers from the cold but is lucky at work daily.

I keep it cold in the day to give her a greenhouse evening

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But - might it be would a visit to the GP? Could be sign that there’s something going on in the background with you?

Wishing you well in any event.
    Thanks but think its just a general getting older thing, its not like a circulation issue with cold extremities its and moreover a far less ability to adapt to the temperature differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I keep it cold in the day to give her a greenhouse evening
    Lol 😂

Master
    This year seems to be a damper cold! House temp reads 19 but feels like 9 when the wind is northerly and my garage is damper than it has ever been. No leaks anywhere.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Master
    Get some merino base layers, especially the vest types, as they really help keep you warm but without any downside. Dhb are excellent value from Wiggle and I like Vulpine long sleeve shirts from sportpursuit (only at at half price).

Winter holidays are under-rated. Obviously it depends on whether it's affordable but I really do think a bit of sun and warmth this time of years does wonders for mental and physical health.

I managed to get to Fuerteventura for 3 nights just after Christmas and it was just what we (family) needed. Ideally I'd have preferred to go for longer but any amount of sun is better than none, and following that short break I've a more positive outlook on our current climate –*Spring no longer seems that far away.

Another one who hates the cold. I've definitely had more tennis cancelled from both ice (and wet weather) this year than previous years.

It's these prolonged spells thats got me. I can cope with a frosty day or two, but it seems to be over a week at a time of sub-zero temperature.

Grand Master
    I definitely feel the cold more as I’ve got older and I can relate to what Frankie says, I get pissed off with the weather far more than I once did but I feel like I physically don’t cope with it like I did. Hardly ever go out without a woolly hat in winter and a warm coat. Between the ages of 16-40 I was often outdoors at work, then out running in the evening regardless of weather, I look back and I don’t know how I did it. Watching rugby league matches in the cold and wet, hardly ever missed a home game, nowadays I lack the enthusiasm if the weathers not ideal.

Maybe I’ve just got softer with age!

Blog Entries
    Know the feeling. Used to work in unheated garages when younger (much), and ride bikes all year round, and just got on with it. Working in a nice warm office later on made me feel the cold a lot more I think. Nowadays the length of the dogs walk seems to be directly related to the thermometer reading.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I hate the cold and I live in Canada.

I might have to cancel a dental appointment on Thursday due to another major storm blowing in

I know if I lived some place warm. I'd probably complain about the heat :)

I much prefer the dry and cold over the rain and the wind.

Its more the lack of sunlight for me. Seeing it start to get lighter just a little earlier in the mornings now lifts my spirit no end. Smartwool socks help enormously with keeping me warm

Master
    I work outdoors all day as a gardener and definitely have more aches and pains/stiffness in the cold weather as I get older.

Master
    Not wanting to tempt fate or anything, but here in Edinburgh we’ve had bugger all snow to speak of thus far. My Scarpa Vortex footwear has saved me from ending up on my arse on icy footpaths, but walking conditions have generally been fine so far. Looking at my Garmin watch, I can see that sunrise is a couple of minutes earlier each day, sunset a couple of minutes later each day. That’s a psychological boost for me. Get through January and we’re in the home straight.

Prefer the cold and frosty stuff (apart from the heating cost!) to it being grey, miserable and constant raining as it was for previous (couple?) of months.

Come the summer though and people will be on here moaning it’s too hot. Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Prefer the cold and frosty stuff (apart from the heating cost!) to it being grey, miserable and constant raining as it was for previous (couple?) of months.

Come the summer though and people will be on here moaning it’s too hot. Bring it on.
    Yes that rain was a bit much - beautiful frosty days much preferred! As for the OP, I have to confess that even being from Iceland the coldest I’ve felt consistently was living in Oxford 20yrs ago. It’s the damp that sneaks in somehow. Bring on the Spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I much prefer the dry and cold over the rain and the wind.
    Ditto - I enjoy a walk in the cold sunshine, but the constant rain we had I can definitely do without.

As long as the sun's out, I just put on a warm coat and enjoy it.

Out for a walk yesterday, loads of huge frozen puddles around, loved it (I was even scuba diving - at an inland lake - on Saturday - That was less fun, water was OK at 7C, but it never got above freezing on the surface!)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Bit of light rain here this morning and forecast to only reach 11 c today, brrrrrr.

It reminded me…I’m Greater London area and often see people out and about in ridiculous clothing during these sub-zero nights. I’ve previously seen people in shorts walking their dog and the other night noticed someone waiting for a train in a t-shirt. Is this some kind of statement or do these people genuinely feel no cold?!

Master
    I came back to the UK in late November and don't expect to return until March. We all know the UK has dull and damp winters so you just got to accept that it is part of the way of life.

It's a case of keep calm and carry on and the sun will return.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It reminded me…I’m Greater London area and often see people out and about in ridiculous clothing during these sub-zero nights. I’ve previously seen people in shorts walking their dog and the other night noticed someone waiting for a train in a t-shirt. Is this some kind of statement or do these people genuinely feel no cold?!
    They're probably visiting from Newcastle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Its some sort of fashion. See men of all ages wearing shorts now whatever the weather.. When it was really cold the other week, I saw somebody walking about in flip flops. Its almost the norm where I work (a University) for the cliennts to be under dressed. Seeing there are some handsome young women this isnt an issue but sometimes I think you'd be warmer with more clothes on

Blog Entries
    All of the above regarding age and cold. I just bought my first real wintercoat in the sale. (Goretex Musto). I cannot remember the day I wore a coat filled with down.

I like a very cold bedroom. And, added to that: I sleep very good. But when the ambient temps are low I even sleep better. My wife disagrees and has threatened to ban me to our annex in the garden.

I've never really felt the cold, always been too hot in other people's houses and the office, but this year, whenever it's dropped below about 5ºC I've been really feeling it.

It might be the new house which is more open plan, has higher ceilings, vertical radiators (which I don't think are as good at dispersing heat) and an old boiler. I've been wearing 3 layers (T-Shirt, long sleeve T and a cotton jumper), shorts and joggers, socks and fleece slippers, and then I've been needing to pull a fleece on as well some nights. This is with the heating on downstairs.

As soon as it gets to about 7ºC outside I've been feeling comfortable.

It doesn't help knowing that keeping warm is costing nearly 4 x what it used to. That gives me the chills

Craftsman
    I agree with much of the above, bit that really peeves me is paying over £20 electric per day to still feel cold, I reckon it would be nearer £40 if it was on at 19oC and on all day. Cheers, John B4

I’m currently in Thailand , got here just under 2 weeks ago..and I go home in April.

I was also here for 2 months , just before Christmas…I intend to carry on doing it, until I’m physically unable to.

I absolutely hate the British winters ( where I live in the Rhondda valleys it seems to rain every day of them year!).

I can just about put up with the cold ( though that really bad spell we had a few weeks ago was horrible!).

It’s the lack of day light, the long wet dismal and grey short days that I hate.

The weather here is great now, it’s about 30 ish most days…though it starts getting hotter in a month or two..by the time I go home, it will be very! hot here..I’m “ hoping” the worst of winter will be gone by then. When I was home for that five weeks, it seemed to pout down every day, and I had to keep looking at the widow to see if the rain had lessened a bit even to take the dog out fir quick walks!

I’ve never ever, complained it’s too hot in the U.K !

The dog walk was a little shorter than usual last night, it is pretty chilly here in Beijing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I've never really felt the cold, always been too hot in other people's houses and the office, but this year, whenever it's dropped below about 5ºC I've been really feeling it.

It might be the new house which is more open plan, has higher ceilings, vertical radiators (which I don't think are as good at dispersing heat) and an old boiler. I've been wearing 3 layers (T-Shirt, long sleeve T and a cotton jumper), shorts and joggers, socks and fleece slippers, and then I've been needing to pull a fleece on as well some nights. This is with the heating on downstairs.

As soon as it gets to about 7ºC outside I've been feeling comfortable.

It doesn't help knowing that keeping warm is costing nearly 4 x what it used to. That gives me the chills
    I agree with all of this. My new (old) house is ridiculously cold. High ceilings etc plus the heating is not working properly. Two rads don't even come on and the gas fire takes about an hour to get lit. Got to get it all looked at I suppose. Never felt cold like it.

Glad I'm not the only one who's fed up with this crappy weather (misery loves company, as they say).
    I had a brand new carbon bike bought me by my wife in December, and it's still not been ridden, what with having Covid, colds, work, and this awful weather etc. I refuse to make the maiden voyage in slippy, icy conditions, it's just asking for it I reckon.
    I recall my mum used to suffer pretty bad from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), she hated winter. Perhaps it is more an aging thing as the OP suggests.
    I work from home 2 days a week and have even considered going into the office every day to keep warm at the boss's expense, I'll bet I'm not the only one either.
    Roll on spring.
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 24th January 2023 at 18:31.

I hate being cold, although it has been slightly warmer today and looks to be warming up generally in the SE from tomorrow.

I keep my hall at 19 degrees so the rest of the house is even warmer - it costs what it costs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I never used to be too bothered by the weather but I now cycle with my daughter to and from school each day. It’s only 5 miles a day but I have had to buy so many clothes to cover all the combinations of ice, snow, rain, wind etc that we have had over the last couple of months to make the trip bearable!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I feel the cold more now but I really do like the seasons and have always liked extreme weather so not bothered by it at all.
    The recent rain was just the Yang side of the very hot dry summer we had, people moaning about hose pipe bans and not being able to sleep and now we have nature correcting itself we moan about that, I now know why I’m posting far less on here..

Craftsman
    I never used to mind the cold but I really have done in recent years as it feels as if I take longer to get warm if that makes sense.

I work in an office without central heating but air con machines in the ceiling, which are set on 27C but just feel as if they’re not keeping a decent level of heat going around. And yes, they are definitely on the heat setting!

Forgive me if this sounds whingey but another issue with this temperature and time of year is that my hands get very dry leaving horrible splits in fingers, which are really uncomfortable. Once it’s milder, things do improve gradually.

Thankfully, January is nearly over and we’re going on holiday to Madeira in a couple of weeks where it should be 20C plus!

Master
    Meanwhile people in Ukraine are existing in devastated apartment blocks without heating, electricity and running water.

Grand Master
    As ive got older I feel the cold where I never did.

Yes hate it.....

Grand Master
    Seems like a common theme here folks, and it's definitely age-related! It's partly physical but there's a psychological aspect too that's more significant for the gentlemen of leisure who've retired. We fortunate souls spend most of our time doing what we like (in theory) and for many these activities involve getting outdoors; cold inclement winter weather literally puts a damper on things and without the distraction of work there's a tendency to dwell on it, life as a retiree is simply more enjoyable from spring to autumn than it is in winter. I enjoy walking but most local routes that are fine in summer are like mudbaths in winter so I avoid them. I like tinkering with my old car in the garage but thesedays my hands can`t stand the cold so that's now a warmer weather activity. Likewise driving the thing, all good fun on a summer day with the roof off but a no-no for winter when there's salt on the roads and its freezing cold. Even DIY and decorating is generally better in warm weather, still not fun but far more tolerable.

Perhaps we need to embrace the winter and find specific tasks/activities that aren`t weather dependent. I focus more on fixing watches in winter than summer and tend to read a lot more. Combined with trips to the gym that fills my time but I`d still prefer to be outside on a warm day!

This winter seems to have alternated between relatively mild but wet, contrasting with v. cold weather and sub-zero overnight temperatures for several consecutive days. Not sure which is worse!

Roll on Spring!

Master
    Yes, I'm struggling this winter. Had 2 very bad colds in the past 6 weeks. I'm normally indestructible but this winter has brutalised me. I think there's some v sinister bugs about.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Although I have had COVID etc. I am not currently un-well.
    However, I honestly can’t remember the last time, recently, that I actually felt ‘well’.

I’m in the gate it camp,the last couple of years I’ve been abroad for new year ,this year the wife didn’t want to and it’s been coldest we’ve had for years.
    If I could I would definitely go abroad nov- march,ho well back to work it is then .

Anyone else struggling with this poxy weather?

Since I turned 50 I’ve really noticed how much my mood brightens in the spring. I’m not sure I have ‘Seasonal affected disorder’ or whatever, as most people seem to really perk up in the Spring. The arrival of autumn really gets under my skin now - I actually long to put Christmas behind me so the days get longer! The warmer weather gives you so many more options to enjoy the world, making x with people and enjoy your surroundings - our grey dark months really don’t offer much to lift the spirits imho. Thankfully it’s not long until the clocks change now! On the subject of cold, I thought it had been pretty mild so far this year (or has North Norfolk been unusual in that respect?)

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Meanwhile people in Ukraine are existing in devastated apartment blocks without heating, electricity and running water.
    But this thread isn't about them. Just because we like a good moan doesn't mean we lack empathy with the worse shit other people are dealing with. Context.

My dad would say what ever the weather was he was just happy to see it every day :)

Dad served in the Infantry WW2 1940/1946 and felt very lucky to return home when many of his mates dident, I often think of his words.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    I never used to mind the cold but I really have done in recent years as it feels as if I take longer to get warm if that makes sense.

I work in an office without central heating but air con machines in the ceiling, which are set on 27C but just feel as if they’re not keeping a decent level of heat going around. And yes, they are definitely on the heat setting!

Forgive me if this sounds whingey but another issue with this temperature and time of year is that my hands get very dry leaving horrible splits in fingers, which are really uncomfortable. Once it’s milder, things do improve gradually.

Thankfully, January is nearly over and we’re going on holiday to Madeira in a couple of weeks where it should be 20C plus!

I can highly recommend O'Keefe's Working Hands hand cream for the finger splits. Better for me than the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula stuff ...

I also strongly dislike the cold. It's much worse since I was diagnosed diabetic, however I have noticed that since before Christmas the cold has been biting, even indoors with heating on. Strange how the energy prices have rocketed and it's particularly cold, worse than I can remember. However we're all having to put the heat on for longer despite all the advice about reducing thermostat by 1° etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Strange how the energy prices have rocketed and it's particularly cold
    What makes it worse is that when it gets cold, consumer demand shoots up, storage depletes and the future price of energy goes higher...made worse by the slack pressure gradient meaning less can be generated by wind.

Grand Master
    I think ive had the SAD syndrome as is commonly referred to.
    I have one of those SAD lamps but not sure it did anything lasting.Dont like the cold dark nights of winter & look forward to spring,cant come fast enough.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 26th January 2023 at 20:32.

I don't mind the cold as long as I'm active and almost all my holidays are to cold climates for skiing; I don't do lying on beaches. For standing on the sidelines of sports pitches watching kids playing hockey, rugby etc I can thoroughly recommend a heated gilet. It keeps your core warm and this greatly helps keeping the rest of your body warm. You don't have to spend huge amounts.

Plenty Available on Amazon

or, if you want to spend more: Warmthru

If you buy one that doesn't come with batteries, buy two of whatever rating mAh (when combined) will easily get you through a day on the lowest heat setting.

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear your struggles. I don’t like the cold and gloomy weather either. I really need sun and warmth.