closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gardening tools for older people. A quick research

Blog Entries

Gardening tools for older people. A quick research

My youngest studies Product Design at the uni. For the next 4, 5 weeks a group of students has to come up with gardening tools for older people. Their new assignment

A quick search shows that there are already a lot of these tools on the market. The idea is to come up with something that's not been invented before. Or, their product has to be a significant upgrade of an existing tool.

It turns out that these students are not really 'linked' with older people who're in need of something for their garden. The research question is: is there a gardening tool that should get an upgrade or that simply missing in your collection/your parents collection/your older neighbour's collection.

As a skateboard fanatic, he was always busy thinking of a way to transport his longboard. Last period he designed and hand-made a pouch for his longboard. Complete with a headrest cushion and a way to hook the pouch to a 'normal' backpack. We searched the internet high and low and his idea was not 'invented' yet. He learned how to use a sowing machine, drawing a pattern to cut out the fabric etc. He was rewarded with a straight A.

This new assignment may include welding and 3D printing as well.

* If your kid is more or less artistic, or 'out of the box' thinking, with a wild imagination, good with maths and science... then do consider this Uni study for him/her. At least have a look before at those uni's.

Grand Master
    Interesting! I`m lucky, I have a wife that loves gardening so I don`t do much 'hands on'.

Something that minimises the need to bend, or to work on one's knees, springs to mind. Younger folks can`t relate to how the body loses flexibility and gets more aches and pains with age. Knees were never designed for kneeling, knee pads help but we only start using them when it's too late.

Maybe consider tools that provide more leverage for cutting/pruning? Strength falls with age and whilst most men are still OK the ladies may struggle more, Mrs W has mild arthritis in her hands and finds the gardening harder even though she still enjoys it. Bigger handles that are easier to grip, or softer grips?

Tools that are height-adjustable? Back problems affect the oldies more and the optimum working height seems more critical, even pushing a lawn more can cause problems if the height isn`t correct.

Perhaps make a list of the physical issues that get worse with age, then consider the popular tools and activities, and try to marry the two together? Food for thought.

Master
    I imagine it will be hard to come up with a new thing these days. But as said light weight, improved leverage, minimise bending or having to be on your knees. Even maybe something to help empty weeding bins or carry/position and deliver soil or fertiliser bag contents might work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I imagine it will be hard to come up with a new thing these days. But as said light weight, improved leverage, minimise bending or having to be on your knees. Even maybe something to help empty weeding bins or carry/position and deliver soil or fertiliser bag contents might work.
    There is a wise saying.

It is the duty of the retired man, to employ the services of an Artisan.

In other words, engage a gardener.

Craftsman

Gardening tools for older people. A quick research

As has been mentioned people are “ generally taller “ now and the majority of garden tools seem to be for users 5ft 8ins or below .
    I fall into the category this project aims to help , I’m tall and I’m a keen gardener.
    The one item I use a lot as I’m anal about clipped edges on a lawn , are a pair of edging shears , if the handles could be longer & the bottom blade could be made / extended to incorporate a small spade like feature to flick back encroaching soil , this would be a perfect implement for me .
    The other item I cannot find is “ a “cheese cutter “” spade ( this was how my father lovingly referred to it ) .. I’m still using this which must make it 70 years old although I’ve had to weld a small area that cracked as a result of wear and tare at the pint the handle fits into the spade blade .
    This was made by Spear and Jackson , it is thin steel with a fine cutting edge and is of a tapering shape overall ( similar to the foot end of a coffin in profile )
    One of these on a decent length stem would also occupy a place in my tool shed .
    Best wishes to all who are engaged in this project .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Norbert; 26th January 2023 at 15:42.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    In other words, engage a gardener.
    Or marry one! I've been lucky, 1st wife liked gardening and it was an unexpected bonus when the current Mrs W, amongst her more obvious attributes, proved to be a keen gardener. It's something I`ve never enjoyed, never got into it, but I like to see a nice garden.

Maybe its worth considering a guide to designing a garden that's easy to tend for the older person?

Older people tools says lessening strengths and aching joints.
    There are secateurs with a gear system that minimise the force needed for a cut already.
    Any tool where a leverage system can be used would benefit. Maybe the leverage system can be adapted to several tools. To me leverage means a more ample (but easier) movement at one end to produce the same result as a classic tool.

Just throwing ideas here...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Older people tools says lessening strengths and aching joints.
    There are secateurs with a gear system that minimise the force needed for a cut already.
    Any tool where a leverage system can be used would benefit. Maybe the leverage system can be adapted to several tools. To me leverage means a more ample (but easier) movement at one end to produce the same result as a classic tool.

Just throwing ideas here...
    Thanks all! Throwing ideas is exactly the right thing at this moment.

I personally love the idea of a multiple-use add-on for various tools. But in the end, it's my son's group that will decide. I'll lay the ideas here on the table so that he can 'take' what he wants. It could be an interesting project. My idea was that it had to be ready next month, but they have until June for it. The desired level of finish is 'shop ready' so to speak.

He was ahead of the brain storm phase as well: "Perhaps we can print a couple of cogs for easier movement of the handles as one of the in-between-stages; as a test example!" And: we have tons of Lego on the cupboards in the uni's workshop. We can use Technical Lego for the design!" His Lego days when he was a kid were well-spent.

(I'm sure you understand that he's already looking for an internship at Lego in Denmark. And yes, they hire interns for 6 months)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Interesting! I`m lucky, I have a wife that loves gardening so I don`t do much 'hands on'.

Something that minimises the need to bend, or to work on one's knees, springs to mind. Younger folks can`t relate to how the body loses flexibility and gets more aches and pains with age. Knees were never designed for kneeling, knee pads help but we only start using them when it's too late.

Maybe consider tools that provide more leverage for cutting/pruning? Strength falls with age and whilst most men are still OK the ladies may struggle more, Mrs W has mild arthritis in her hands and finds the gardening harder even though she still enjoys it. Bigger handles that are easier to grip, or softer grips?

Tools that are height-adjustable? Back problems affect the oldies more and the optimum working height seems more critical, even pushing a lawn more can cause problems if the height isn`t correct.

Perhaps make a list of the physical issues that get worse with age, then consider the popular tools and activities, and try to marry the two together? Food for thought.
    Get her to have a look at some Fiskar premium range of garden stuff, I bought my mum and wife a bunch of it recently. They do geared pruners & loppers etc with 3x the torque through a gear set up. My mum can trim things where she could not previously due to weak hands, and my wife is now bionic (and dangerous) in what she can now cut through without asking for help.

Alas OP, the cutting side of things has been designed, and to be honest designed very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Get her to have a look at some Fiskar premium range of garden stuff, I bought my mum and wife a bunch of it recently. They do geared pruners & loppers etc with 3x the torque through a gear set up. My mum can trim things where she could not previously due to weak hands, and my wife is now bionic (and dangerous) in what she can now cut through without asking for help.

Alas OP, the cutting side of things has been designed, and to be honest designed very well.
    Disadvantage is that you need a very wide arm span - not easy if up a ladder...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Disadvantage is that you need a very wide arm span - not easy if up a ladder...
    As easy as on the ground to be fair....but appreciate you probably refer to being up between branches with limited space.