closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GS owners - anyone have an Omiwatari?

Apprentice

GS owners - anyone have an Omiwatari?

I've seen the long running GS thread and I hope that no one minds another, much shorter, thread with a more specific question. I'm looking to add a slim stylish watch to my modest collection, specifically, one with a steel case, leather strap, unfussy but interesting dial, and I keep coming back to the idea of a GS. I also have watches by Lange and Patek, and beautiful as they are, I'm looking for something more understated and robust as the plan is for daily use, mostly for work and therefore that means a good match for smart attire i.e. a suit. I don't want a divers type and have that covered.

I love the look of the Omiwatari and am very tempted by one, am I missing other obvious GS models, or even brands to consider? I like the 'Skyflake' but just can't get on with the power reserve placement on the dial (I know that is a common Marmite issue).

If anyone has an Omiwatari or something similar, please post your thoughts after a period of ownership

Master
    I have a sibling watch, the SBGY009 Tsuki Tenshin, and after several months of ownership have to say I love it as much now as when I first got it. These can be quite casual or rather dressy, depending on the strap. The 44GS of the SBGY009 makes it more on the dressy side, but the SBGY007 I think could dress up or down much more, given the case shape. I've worn mine for dinners and business trips, as well as just casual wear on the weekend.

Depending where you are in Scotland James Porter in Glasgow (arcade) had an Omitawari last time I was through, so it should be available to see and try.

Master
    Sounds like some kind of skin condition

I think Kippax had one

Master
    I’ve got an Omiwatari, it’s an exceptional looking watch and really needs to be seen in the metal to appreciate it although here’s a pic anyway :D. Very comfortable on the wrist too, feels like it weighs next to nothing.

I’ve been lucky enough to own some very nice GS’s in the past but the Omitawari for me is on another level again

Last edited by SIB; 22nd January 2023 at 21:30.

Looks smart - bonus points for strap orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    ... Very comfortable on the wrist too, feels like it weighs next to nothing.
    Great photo. As to you feeling like it weighs next to nothing, that's because it does - at 68g. That would put me off (I like to feel the watch on my wrist). But, lovely looking watch all the same.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    I have a sibling watch, the SBGY009 Tsuki Tenshin, and after several months of ownership have to say I love it as much now as when I first got it. These can be quite casual or rather dressy, depending on the strap. The 44GS of the SBGY009 makes it more on the dressy side, but the SBGY007 I think could dress up or down much more, given the case shape. I've worn mine for dinners and business trips, as well as just casual wear on the weekend.

Depending where you are in Scotland James Porter in Glasgow (arcade) had an Omitawari last time I was through, so it should be available to see and try.

Thanks for your thoughts, very helpful. I may be in Glasgow next month, so could perhaps call ahead and see if there is one to see in person, although I am feeling a bit impulsive at the moment!

Apprentice
    I’ve got an Omiwatari, it’s an exceptional looking watch and really needs to be seen in the metal to appreciate it although here’s a pic anyway :D. Very comfortable on the wrist too, feels like it weighs next to nothing.

I’ve been lucky enough to own some very nice GS’s in the past but the Omitawari for me is on another level again

Very nice! That looks really good, thanks for posting that - I think that's my mind made up!
    Out of interest, I saw a video review (can't remember which) and one negative that was mentioned is that there is a 'ghost' position on the crown when pulled out as if for a date wheel, which obviously isn't there. I'm not sure that negative is necessarily the right word, but it's a bit of an odd one and I completely understand the suggestion that it hints at a money saving exercise with sharing of the movement between many watches. Does your do this? Also, what do you think of the quality of the strap, it looks nice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post
    Very nice! That looks really good, thanks for posting that - I think that's my mind made up!
    Out of interest, I saw a video review (can't remember which) and one negative that was mentioned is that there is a 'ghost' position on the crown when pulled out as if for a date wheel, which obviously isn't there. I'm not sure that negative is necessarily the right word, but it's a bit of an odd one and I completely understand the suggestion that it hints at a money saving exercise with sharing of the movement between many watches. Does your do this? Also, what do you think of the quality of the strap, it looks nice.
    You had me intrigued so I went and checked mine (same 9R31 movement). No ghost position, just one pull which hacks the movement.

Master
    Sorry for the delay in getting back, just checked mine and there's no ghost position for a date change. The stem comes out a decent amount but there's no click or stop / second pull to get it fully out

Apprentice
    Just thought that I would return to update the thread - I decided to just go ahead and order one on the basis of videos, reviews, and owners thoughts. I couldn't easily get to a store so in an impulse moment I ordered from Chisholm Hunter, and it arrived yesterday. Really pleased with it, really nice dimensions for me, nicely slim with both a classic and modern feel to the design. The dial is superb! Perfectly fits what I wanted it for. Thanks for the input from everyone!

Apprentice
    Sorry for the delay in getting back, just checked mine and there's no ghost position for a date change. The stem comes out a decent amount but there's no click or stop / second pull to get it fully out
    Thanks for checking that!

I've never watched this chap's YouTube channel or reviews before, but this is one that I stumbled on when I was trying to make up my mind about this watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbAa...TheUrbanGentry

I'm not sure that I agree with some of the points he makes, and my watch doesn't seem to have the 'ghost position' either (which I'm relived about), so perhaps his is broken?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corryvreckan View Post
    Just thought that I would return to update the thread - I decided to just go ahead and order one on the basis of videos, reviews, and owners thoughts. I couldn't easily get to a store so in an impulse moment I ordered from Chisholm Hunter, and it arrived yesterday. Really pleased with it, really nice dimensions for me, nicely slim with both a classic and modern feel to the design. The dial is superb! Perfectly fits what I wanted it for. Thanks for the input from everyone!
    Good outcome - hope for a pic when you have a chance!