closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What about the Seiko SBDB001/011?

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malta (Europe)
    Posts
    1,711

    What about the Seiko SBDB001/011?

    I have owned so many Seiko Divers' but have never owned a Spring Drive.

    I would like to try one this year. I'm considering the LX or even a gently used and expensive (for me) SLGA001.

    For much less than that I could get an SBDB001/011 and scratch the Spring Drive itch. I'm a bit worried about the size and I have no way to try one on. I wear my Tunas (incl. the Emperor) no problem, but a tall lug to lug is a bit of an issue on my 6.75 inch wrist.

    As an example, I used to wear and adore the OS/Orient 300m,but I do consider it as too large and more so too heavy today.

    I have had a few SBDX001 MM300, and I can easily handle that large watch. How larger does the MM600 SBDB001/011 wear please? Any experience from anyone who had both?

    Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts! :)

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Heemskerk, The Netherlands
    Posts
    454

    MM600

    I owned both th MM300 and the MM600. First one was the MM300 wich I really liked, doesn't feel like a big watch at all on the wrist (I have 18cm wrists). I found it to be a lovely watch except for the stem/crown wich didn't feel very solid. Accidentally I stumbled upon a MM600 at a very competitive price so I couldn't resist and bought it. The MM600 is larger but it doen't look too large on my wrist. Very light due to the titanium. I immediately liked it a lot, much more then the MM300 and I realised I wouldn't need the MM300 anymore. Stem/crown build on the MM600 is super solid. The movement is the best you can possibly get..the sweeping seconds hand is so smooth it makes you smile every time you look at it...simply fantastic what seiko has achieved with their springdrive. 72hours powerreserve wich you can accomplish by winding the watch in less then 10 seconds. Fantastic lume..Beautiful laquered dial (same as MM300)..I simply love it...it puts my rolex deepsea to shame (LOL)...I would say..try one out..

    Best,
    Guillermo

  3. #3
    I had one for a while and foolishly moved it on. Think I bought it from Searat, who's posted a WTB for one, so I'm not alone in missing it!

    Just an awesome watch. The dial and bezel is a like a deep pool of black, blacker than any other dive watch I've had. The date disappears until you look for it. Nuclear lume and of course the spring drive is mesmerising. Downsides - I guess sits a bit tall on the wrist so not one for long sleeved shirts and the strap is a complete pain in the hoop to change.

    Now off to waste the evening looking for one ......

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malta (Europe)
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    I owned both th MM300 and the MM600. First one was the MM300 wich I really liked, doesn't feel like a big watch at all on the wrist (I have 18cm wrists). I found it to be a lovely watch except for the stem/crown wich didn't feel very solid. Accidentally I stumbled upon a MM600 at a very competitive price so I couldn't resist and bought it. The MM600 is larger but it doen't look too large on my wrist. Very light due to the titanium. I immediately liked it a lot, much more then the MM300 and I realised I wouldn't need the MM300 anymore. Stem/crown build on the MM600 is super solid. The movement is the best you can possibly get..the sweeping seconds hand is so smooth it makes you smile every time you look at it...simply fantastic what seiko has achieved with their springdrive. 72hours powerreserve wich you can accomplish by winding the watch in less then 10 seconds. Fantastic lume..Beautiful laquered dial (same as MM300)..I simply love it...it puts my rolex deepsea to shame (LOL)...I would say..try one out..

    Best,
    Guillermo
    Haha that certainly is enabling :)

    Thanks for your reply.

    Never had a SD Seiko, despite owning so many of their diver's.

    Unfortunately a small SD powered pro (He-rated) Seiko does not exist. I'll mull over it for a few days.

    Thanks!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    I had one for a while and foolishly moved it on. Think I bought it from Searat, who's posted a WTB for one, so I'm not alone in missing it!

    Just an awesome watch. The dial and bezel is a like a deep pool of black, blacker than any other dive watch I've had. The date disappears until you look for it. Nuclear lume and of course the spring drive is mesmerising. Downsides - I guess sits a bit tall on the wrist so not one for long sleeved shirts and the strap is a complete pain in the hoop to change.

    Now off to waste the evening looking for one ......
    Lol sorry. Yes, am with you on the downsides. But then the bracelet seems solid and nice enough.

    I have enough watches on rubber/Nato already.

  5. #5
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,475
    MM600 definitely wears bigger than the MM300 but I find the case shape (particularly the lugs) makes it quite wearable.

    I've only worn it on the bracelet for a short period, preferring it on leather or a Nick Mankey elastic.

    As already mentioned, the deep dial and spring drive make the idiosyncracies worthwhile.

    Last edited by gunner; 24th January 2023 at 12:00.

  6. #6
    Master shalako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    4,440
    Iíve owned the SBDB001 on a few occasions now, sold my last one last year which I regret, magnificent watch, grade 5 titanium, true GMT and superb lume, I would definitely recommend them.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malta (Europe)
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    MM600 definitely wears bigger than the MM300 but I find the case shape (particularly the lugs) makes it quite wearable.

    I've only worn it on the bracelet for a short period, preferring it on leather or a Nick Mankey elastic.

    As already mentioned, the deep dial and spring drive make the idiosyncracies worthwhile.

    There's so much right with that watch. If it only were 42mm and 15mm thick!

    What's your wrist size please? Mine is a hair under 6.75 inch.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malta (Europe)
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Iíve owned the SBDB001 on a few occasions now, sold my last one last year which I regret, magnificent watch, grade 5 titanium, true GMT and superb lume, I would definitely recommend them.
    Do you think it works with a 6.75 inch wrist.

    I saw a photo of Ikuo Tokunaga wearing one and it looked ginormous on him. Ikuo-san is a bit of an idol of mine.

    I'd never wore a watch because Mr.X wears it, but it made me stand up and take notice. If it's good enough for Mr Tokunaga....

  9. #9
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    What's your wrist size please? Mine is a hair under 6.75 inch.
    A skinny 6.5-6.75".

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Malta (Europe)
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    A skinny 6.5-6.75".
    ahhhh...you're not making it any easier :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information