closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First attempt at lume painting

First attempt at lume painting

I have had this watch for a while now and it never worn, the main reason there was no lume on the dial, only the hands
    So I figured I would give painting some lume the dial a go.
    Before

After

And it does glow

It’s not the neatest job but it will do for me and will likely mean the watch will get a bit more wear than before.

For reference I used one of the lume kits with syringe applicator, the paint was a bit more fluid than I thought it would be so I am glad I gave it a bit of practice on some card before attempting the dial.

I think that's quite a good job for a fist attempt well done .

I have always been nervous at lume plots , have done a few hands which are easier.

Great work on tailoring something to your own needs and with your own effort

Looks like an MOD dial

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Looks like an MOD dial
    It does have a certain rough and ready quality

Grand Master
    I'm no expert at re-luming, I relume hands when I have to but dials are much more challenging with little scope for error and the potential to spoil an otherwise good dial.

I use the Bergeon lume kit which is now getting expensive, but it allows the lume to be mixed correctly to achieve the right consistency and that's the key to getting it right in my experience. Also allows colours to be mixed, which is v. important.

Not my favourite job!

First attempt at lume painting

Ok so this morning I had a go at reluming the bezel pip of my new watch.( See the bear pit moan and rant thread)
    The lume on these often falls out as it’s was just a tritium plot of paint in the steel bezel
    After initial set back I mixed a dollop of lume with the Mrs clear nail varnish and painted a thin layer in recess. I let it dry and then added a few more layers each time letting it dry
    One last coat of clear nail varnish over and this is the result.
    I have no idea if it will stick in the recess, but I think it was worth a try.
    It a pretty good match with the original so tritium lume and it glows at about the same rate when exposed to light it also fades quite quickly
    Before

After (I need to clean it up a bit)

In the dark

I am quite happy with it
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 18th March 2023 at 14:45.