closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines woes AGAIN

Longines woes AGAIN

I sent my Longines HydroConquest Chronograph in for warranty work (just the hour pointer being misaligned)

3 week's later I received it back yesterday (great) hmm not so

I usually test everything as soon as I get it back but I forgot & realised today I hadn't tested the chronograph running.
    I'm standing in Greggs looking at the time then thought Ohh I'll try the chronograph, IT'S BROKEN, the pushers are solid and don't engage.

Seriously I've mentioned here before about a Longines Heritage 1967 horror story after sending it for service and I'm beginning to think I'm cursed when it comes to Longines and their service centre.

All it needed was a hand realigned and it's knackered.

Yet another phone call will be happening on Monday.

This is the 3rd time (3 out of 3) that they have messed thing's up, 4 if you count the other HydroConquest I'm waiting to get back because it arrived brand new with dust inside the dial. God knows what that will come back like.
    Fingers crossed it's OK but I've lost faith

Sent from a technical device.

That’s pretty shocking.

Try not to let it put you off. These things happen, especially when you make as many watches as Longines.

Hope it gets sorted quickly.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    How a watch can be released by the service centre with an obvious fault is beyond me! This is the same organisation that won’t make parts generally available supposedly to safeguard quality of work.

It isn’t rocket science, after resetting the hr counter hand the chrono should be tested and re - zeroed a few times to confirm the hand s mounted correctly, that’s the only way to do the job properly.

These things happen but a three-peat is pretty shocking.

If bought new and within the last year I'd be asking for a refund or replacement.

Master
    Strange because Longines have an excellent all round reputation.

You've got more patience than me. Good luck getting them both back in perfect nick.

P.S. Your username seems a good summary of the Longines service experience.

Heritage diver came back after service running worse than when it went in but looking like brand new. I only had to send that back once. (they replaced the movement)

Heritage 1967 came back 3 time's and eventually all that was original was the dial and the bracelet, that one really was an absolute nightmare.
    On the original service they replaced the crown, pushers, handset. That's the norm on a Longines service but the case and crystal was because they broke the case but the case is replaced with a new crystal as standard.

In all honesty I really can't fault there customer service but the service centre itself is seriously lacking in quality control.

On Monday I will now insist that it is fully disassembled and inspected then rectified.
    I just hope I don't have to wait 4 months like the last disaster.

Last edited by sickie; 21st January 2023 at 16:04.

Master
    How frustrating OP.

Makes me wonder (as I fall out of love with the likes of Rolex) what brands offer the best all round ownership experience when considering factors such as attainability, value for money (which for me would be based around depreciation from new, but something else to others), reliability, service costs and customer service.

From my own experience that would put Sinn at the top of the list of brands I've owned.

Would be interesting to see which other brands would rank well...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post

On Monday I will now insist that it is fully disassembled and inspected then rectified.
    I just hope I don't have to wait 4 months like the last disaster.

Think about it: there’s nothing to suggest the movement has a fault so why would you ask for it to be ‘fully disassembled’?

The problem with the chrono not running will almost certainly be due to the movement not aligning correctly with the case or movement ring. Here’s what will happen (or should happen):

The movement will be removed from the case and the crown/ stem refitted. The movement will be fitted into a movement holder and the action of the levers ( operated by the pushers in the case) will be tested. If all’s well the movement will be fully wound and both amplitude and rate tested with the chrono running and not running. If all's well no further work to the movement is justified. Attention will turn to the case and pushers to check for problems. Any fault will be corrected then the movement and movement ring will be reunited with the case. Action of the pushers will be thoroughly checked, crown refitted, check again, refit caseback, check action of pushers and crown with caseback fully tightened.

This is what I’d do and frankly I wouldn’t appreciate being told how to do the job by the owner, you have to trust the capability of the repairer despite your frustrations. Your energy would be better spent writing a covering letter to enclose with the watch stating exactly what is wrong, if the pushers won’t operate make that clear, if the pusher operates but the chrono doesn’t start make that clear.

I suspect the problem is linked to having more than one person working on the watch, that’s something I personally dislike and disagree with. If one guy does everything he takes full responsibility, there’s nowhere to hide if it’s wrong and that’s a great motivator to get it right first time every time. Service centres don’t work that way, but someone should be responsible for final checking and it’s clear in this case that they got it wrong. Staff absence at this time if year could be an issue but that’s no excuse, sending a watch out that’s not functioning is inexcusable and someone heeds a KUTA*

*’Kick Up The Arse’ in 70s pre-politically correct parlance, KUTA was the precursor to modern day counselling and was far more effective!

Sorry to hear this OP - not very confidence inspiring but at least they’ll keep going till they finally get it right :/

Terrible experience and poor QC at their service centre ..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

After speaking to Longines it's going back for a full inspection and repair.

I get what you're saying Walter but after 3 disasters I think I'm entitled to be a bit miffed, I'm pretty sure anyone else would be very unhappy as the lack of quality control that I've experienced.

Master
    I can sort of understand if they sent a replacement but if you send them a faulty watch for attention you expect them to check it before it’s sent out

Master
    Makes the idea of sending a watch back to them for routine servicing seem rather bad idea - it'd come back worse than it went in!

I had a worse experience with Swatch group on an Omega. I vowed never to buy anything from them again! Hope it works out but if I were you, I’d part company with Longines after this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It goes back today so hopefully it will be sorted in the next couple of weeks, saying that I'm still waiting for another they've had for over a month and all it was sent in for was a speck of dust on the dial.

Finger's crossed this time.

Wow, what a difference to my experience with my Hydroconquest. It was losing about 14 seconds a day, so I sent it back saying it was out of spec.... they sent me the packing to return it and had it delivered back to them. It came back within 10 days and is running phenomenally well, after 4 days at work it is now just 5 seconds slow, checked against Time Is, which is what I set it against last Sunday night. I am extremely happy with mine. Maybe yours is a Friday afternoon one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I had a worse experience with Swatch group on an Omega. I vowed never to buy anything from them again! Hope it works out but if I were you, I’d part company with Longines after this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s entirely random I think, but every service experience I have had with Omega / Swatch has been awful. If you go back through my posts a good few years who I sent an x-33 for an overhaul, and after spending 1k and waiting ages, they actually sent my watch back with no changes and a new crystal loose in the travel case! I complained, in the end it was sent to Bienne, but Southampton have been so bad, it makes me really wary of Omega.

Grand Master
    Having re-read the OP's post he states that neither pusher would work. I think it likely that the movement ring has been fitted slight out of line, there are 3 cut-outs in the ring to allow the stem and both pushers to function. Whoever cased the watch up has probably got the ring slightly misaligned, it'll allow the stem to work OK but may be blocking the action of the pushers. If that's the case it's a 5 minute job to fix and does not require further dismantling.

The watch should've been fully checked by whoever handled it last, but that's always a weakness when more than one person works on a watch (or anything), if there's only 1 pair of hands involved. Swatch Service Centre know best......maybe?

My lack of faith in Longines and the chronograph not working also stems from part of the disaster on the second one I sent for service came back running like a bag of hammer's but the chrono worked fine.

After receiving it back the chronograph was destroyed, pushers worked but the hands jumped all over the place, figure that one out

After I sent that back again is when they we're going to replace the case.

Update:

I called Longines today regarding the Blue Hydroconquest I sent in for dust on the dial and as last week I was told work was complete so expected it back by now Sooo apparently it was in quality control and it was sent back to the technicians. Why? No idea there wasn't any information as to what was wrong.

As for the Black one, after receiving the CIS login the chronograph is broken. You couldn't make it up
    Now waiting for part's but it also mentions (diagnostic SWAP) what the hell does that mean.

Further updates to follow

Here is the result after getting notified my watch is ready.

Quality Check Result

- The movement in your watch has been completely replaced to return your watch to full working order in accordance with manufacturer’s specification

God knows what they done to it for the movement to be completely replaced, Ohh and the chronograph pushers we're replaced.

Master

Quality Check Result

- The movement in your watch has been completely replaced to return your watch to full working order in accordance with manufacturer’s specification

God knows what they done to it for the movement to be completely replaced, Ohh and the chronograph pushers we're replaced.

Triggers broom

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Triggers broom
    Better than having a non working watch though. I would not be fussed with a new movement, pushers or what ever if it got my watch back up and running.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Better than having a non working watch though. I would not be fussed with a new movement, pushers or what ever if it got my watch back up and running.
    Indeed

Grand Master

Quality Check Result

Have you tried talking to them and asking for a thorough explanation? To me that’s the obvious thing to much of this story makes little sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have you tried talking to them and asking for a thorough explanation? To me that’s the obvious thing to much of this story makes little sense.
    If the true story means admitting some embarrassing lack of quality control etc. , as I think most of us suspect, then I think this plan is probably futile. No harm in asking, of course.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

It doesn't really matter now if it's truly fixed (haven't received it back yet) but when I called to see what had been done, I was told the pushers had been replaced and that's it.

I only knew about the movement replacement after I looked at the CIS login.

As long as it's working when I get it back Tuesday / Wednesday I'll be happy.

The Blue one came back Friday, Perfect BTW.

Customer service I can't fault but quality control is poop.

Interesting thread this and very useful. Have to say it is putting me off the brand in some way, but the good customer service is certainly nice to hear.

So I received the watch back today, Happy day's.

NOT, Every thing work's OK but someone has butchered the back of the lugs from removing the bracelet.

I know for certain it wasn't me because I am very careful if I remove a strap from any watch, plus it's only ever been off once since I bought it new 9 month's ago.

A call will be made tomorrow morning but I'm not sending it back, I've had enough tbh.

Pictures are at 5x magnification.

My photography is rubbish but there we're no mark's before sending it in, yes the odd little mark might be expected but seriously it looks like I've chopped and changed the strap on numerous occasions without any care.

Last edited by sickie; 17th February 2023 at 06:36.

Master
    No good at all. That’s a lot of damage!

I have had my wife’s longines serviced twice with no issues. Mine however had to go back as there were marks all over the dial. Even when it came back the marks were there but not as bad. There were also small marks where the case back was removed.

Shocking

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Just wow. Bracelet removal is watch servicing 101. Beggars belief what they've done there.

So after speaking to Longines again it's going back to them and it's probably going to have the case replaced

Someone mentioned triggers broom, it definitely feels like that's what I have or will have after this episode.

I think you're at the point where it's reasonable to demand a brand new watch or a full refund. Atrocious service. Stories like this completely put me off a brand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I think you're at the point where it's reasonable to demand a brand new watch or a full refund. Atrocious service. Stories like this completely put me off a brand.
    You are fully within your rights to have a full refund or replacement - rather than repair. I would insist - it’s against the retailer - NOT the manufacturer.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You are fully within your rights to have a full refund or replacement - rather than repair. I would insist - it’s against the retailer - NOT the manufacturer.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product
    The issue isn't with the retailer as the watch was fine other than the hour hand on the chronograph being misaligned, everything that's happened since sending it in under warranty has been Longines messing it up.

I had it 8 month's and lived with the misalignment, I only decided to see send it in when I bought the Blue version which came direct from Longines with dust on the dial.

I just thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone when I sent it in.

The Blue one came back perfectly fine but the Black one, well you know the rest.

As a side note, the original movement ran at +4 spd and the new one after one day is +7 spd.
    I'll be mentioning that to them also.

Blog Entries
    The issue isn't with the retailer as the watch was fine other than the hour hand on the chronograph being misaligned, everything that's happened since sending it in under warranty has been Longines messing it up.

I had it 8 month's and lived with the misalignment, I only decided to see send it in when I bought the Blue version which came direct from Longines with dust on the dial.

I just thought I might as well kill two birds with one stone when I sent it in.

The Blue one came back perfectly fine but the Black one, well you know the rest.

As a side note, the original movement ran at +4 spd and the new one after one day is +7 spd.
    I'll be mentioning that to them also.

sorry - I didn’t mean the retailer is at fault. It is the retailer that is responsible and whome you claim against. It’s your consumer right if the item is at fault - as per these criteria (miss-aligned hands seems to fit that description-as described)

Satisfactory quality
    Goods shouldn't be faulty or damaged when you receive them. You should ask yourself what a reasonable person would consider satisfactory for the goods in question. For example, bargain-bucket products won't be held to as high standards as luxury goods.

Fit for purpose
    The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.

As described
    The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase.

it’s time for a replacement new watch (I think)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

What a fiasco. I've never owned a Longines, and I certainly won't now.

So here is what is hopefully the final outcome.

I've received the watch back today with a new movement, new case including sapphire crystal, pushers and crown.

It's essentially a new watch plus I have a free service for any future Longines I want to send, no time limit so a month or 5 year's I get a free service.

Everything seems OK so far (fingers crossed)

Here is the offending item btw.

Master
    What’s original - strap and box. . 😂

Master
    wow, can't imagine how cheesed off you must have been after each return from their 'service' dept!
    It does look good though - hope it behaves itself now :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    What’s original - strap and box. . 😂
    Trigger's broom v Sickie's Longines.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Trigger's broom v Sickie's Longines.

Kind of but at least it's all genuine part's lol.

I must be mad but I've just bought another Longines Heritage 1967. I've owned one before so we'll see if I keep it.

Master
    The overall storyline is that Longines made a hash of some repairs but they accepted that they were in the wrong and performed restitution without any fuss.

I find it hard to believe that they employed some bodger who performed such a lash up but I am pleased that they accepted the fact and did their best to put matters right.

This watch has cost Longine a lot of money.

Master
    Kind of but at least it's all genuine part's lol.

I must be mad but I've just bought another Longines Heritage 1967. I've owned one before so we'll see if I keep it.

Ah, I did exactly the same.. sold my 1967 and regretted it within a few weeks. Managed to pick another one up from Fraser Hart last year which was ex-display. I’ve told the wife that if I say I’m going to sell it, she’s to give me a slap.